Search results

1. Anthony Curtas

Convert Toto flapper flush to tower flush?

Hi all, Is it possible to convert the older flapper style flush with the tower style mechanism? I have four toto toilets (2x Dartmouth, 1x Promenade, and 1x EcoDrake). 3 of them have the flapper style and the newest of the Dartmouth models has a tower. That one seems to flush the most...
  2. Anthony Curtas

Concrete slab poured tight to toilet rough-in

Hi all, I'm doing a basement remodel with a half bath. The drain and vent were roughed in already when the house was built, but they poured the concrete slab tight to the 3" ABS pipe for the toilet. I chiseled the mounded concrete around it flush and level hoping for a sleeve or void, but...
  3. Anthony Curtas

Cal Faucets cartridge removal

Hi all, New wall spout tub filler stopped working. It's two quarter-turn valves that feed a spout. It's been used a few times to fill the tub and things worked fine. Model number is 50-W-R https://www.calfaucets.com/bathroom/parts/valves/1-2-wall-stop-valve-only-50-w-r Today, the cold would...
  4. Anthony Curtas

Compression fittings weeping

Hi all, I have two shutoffs I installed over the weekend that are weeping for lack of a better term. Over the course of 8 hours or so, enough water will accumulate to show up with a finger test. Never seems to develop a full drop to leak down (put paper down that should show any drops). I...
  5. Anthony Curtas

Vanity tailpiece not vertical

Hi all, Finally finishing my master bath. Installing sinks in the vanity. I got them leveled and centered but when I put in the drains one tailpiece sits vertical, but the other one is off at a 5 degree angle or so. Everything is tight and the flat on the sink bottom is off level as well...
  6. Anthony Curtas

Drop ear questions for new hand shower

Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding a hand shower rough in. It screws onto a stub out (1/2 MIP). How much thread do you normally leave exposed past the finished wall for this? How do you normally rough this in? I was planning on a shower drop ear with a brass nipple in the wall...
  7. Anthony Curtas

Identify this sludge

I was cutting out an old unused drain line for a tub. It was a 2" line with a 2" elbow to a dedicated vent (straight to the roof, no other tie-ins). I was shocked to see the pipe half clogged ABOVE the tub drain, all the way to the elbow (about 1' of travel). See pic. For reference, house is...
  8. Anthony Curtas

Single valve for multiple outside hose bibs

hi guys, I've been sweating a lot of connections for my bath remodel and it's given me confidence to tackle a couple other nagging plumbing issues. Biggest of all is that my shutoffs for the outside faucets don't actually shut off all the way. It slows it down to a drip but not all the way...
  9. Anthony Curtas

Sweating shower valve help

Issue 1: the solder around the elbow has two little pits instead of a nice fillet. Solder was dripping out of the bottom and I fed about 3/4" (my prebend), let it cool a second and wiped it. I tried one reheat with just a hint more solder but it didn't help. It has not seen water yet, so I...
  10. Anthony Curtas

Maximum gap for coupling two DWV pipes

Just put on my new 3" drain coupling to an existing 3" line in the wall (blind mate, partially in the wall plate below) to accept toilet and shower lines in the bathroom remodel. To accomplish this, I had to cut the pipe in the basement, push it up a couple inches, put on the new sanitary...
  11. Anthony Curtas

Clawfoot drain / overflow quality

Hi all, About to buy the drain for our clawfoot tub. It's a 1917 American Standard. Slight angle on the overflow but otherwise pretty standard. Fixtures in the room are all chrome and the drain will be visible, but against a wall, so not prominent. My question is about brands and quality of...
  12. Anthony Curtas

Viega press fittings for PEX

Any fans or detractors here? So far I've read good things about the Viega fittings. Seem to be a step up from the Sharkbite/Apollo brand PEX fittings available at the box stores. I need to transition to PEX for my remodel since I can't get to a stud bay from below to sweat in elbows on my...
  13. Anthony Curtas

P-trap size for lav: 1.5" or 2"?

Just about to order faucets and drains for the bath remodel. Mostly Cal Faucet stuff. Piping for the dual pedestal lavs is 2". Cal Faucets has nice cast p-traps in 1.5" and 2" and the price is not that different. Any reason not to just go with the 2" P-trap? Or is that such overkill that...
  14. Anthony Curtas

Master bath DWV layout critique

See Sketchup drawings inline below. Master bath, new location for toilet, shower, and tub (although along wet wall). Double pedestal lavs using old bath drain and vent. Existing 3" stack, finished space below that we'd rather not blow up. Adhered to 1/4 slope before vents and 2" clearance...
  15. Anthony Curtas

Use of a double wye / combo tee vertically (everything vented)

Based on my previous thread that Terry helped me on, I'm mocking up my DWV setup in Sketchup. I'm paying close attention to pitch and where I can bore through joists. I have height problems and things approaching the stack from both sides. Sadly there's a lot of electrical in the only place I...
  16. Anthony Curtas

Vent fitting for toilet and shower from opposite sides

In our remodel, we want to move the toilet to the other side of the room. Route to the main 3" stack is in the same joist bay, so I thought this would be easy, right? The existing layout has dual lavs running past a tub (each with their own vents), then joining up with the shower drain, which...
  17. Anthony Curtas

Angle stops for pedestal sink (FIP vs compression)

Hi all, I'm starting to get my fittings together pre-rough-in so I know exactly what I need to stub out and such. I seem to keep running into two types: FIP (shower riser fitting buried in the wall) and compression. I've dealt with compression before, but I can't seem to figure out how to...
  18. Anthony Curtas

A few pedestal sink questions

For our master bath remodel we are doing dual pedestal sinks. The wall they are going on is small so we are looking at the 24" Kohler Devonshire sinks. The faucets we are considering all come with a 1-1/4" drain. The rough in for these sinks is going to be all new, so I have control over...
  19. Anthony Curtas

Reinforcing 3" drain line hole in 2x10

Hi all, Just started a master bath reno, down to the studs. The major plumbing change is relocating the toilet. Existing toilet is plumbed as per the picture attached. It goes through the floor, makes a 90 turn through the 2x10, which is sistered with a 2x4 up top, about 8' long. Once in...
  20. Anthony Curtas

Very stubborn spud/shoe on old clawfoot

Hi all, for a bath remodel we got an old 1912 American Standard clawfoot. Inside original and looked great. A little rust on the overflow hole, but I'll epoxy coat that and it will be hidden. The problem has been getting the old drain off. I have a dumbbell spud tool and using a breaker bar...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks