Search results

1. Amish Electrician

Is Rinnai Worth the Premium?

I recognize the bias toward larger piping ... and, for the cold water I would agree. There's no harm going 'big' with a trunk system. For PEX, the advantage is in the manifold. This, and the greatly reduced fittings in a PEX method, makes it child's play to run a separate line to each...
  2. Amish Electrician

Wall Mount: How Much Wall?

Thank you, Terry, for the quick reply. I'll take it to heart. BTW ... this is the only forum I've been to where the admin regularly participates. I really appreciate that.
  3. Amish Electrician

Wall Mount: How Much Wall?

I intend to have a wall-mounted toilet in my new bath. I have a pair of questions about mounting the toilet. 1) Is 3/4" plywood strong enough to hang the toilet from? and, 2) Is a 2x6 framed wall thick enough, both to support the load and to have enough room for the plumbing? The wall...
  4. Amish Electrician

That's a good point about long runs! Fortunately, in my case, I doubt it will be a concern. The house has a 25 x 35' footprint. The run from the water heater to the shower head will need about a 15-ft length of PEX; the longest run (kitchen sink) can be easily done with a 30-ft. length.
  5. Amish Electrician

"Temporary" Shower?

As I gear up for the big remodel .... Has anyone ever set up a 'temporary' shower? I'm thinking of getting one of those pre-fab enclosures, setting it on a little platform in the laundry room, and using it while the beal bath is remodeled. Any hints, tips, or suggestions? After all, a...
  6. Amish Electrician

Kerdi membrane install question.

OK, Jad, I won't debate your religion with you. "IF" is the biggest word in the language. Heck, I'd win the lotto IF I pick the right numbers. IF the Queen had balls, she'd be King. BTDT. So go ahead, get by with the minimum possible. I'm confident you also wear Wal-Mart $8 sneakers...
  7. Amish Electrician

Kerdi membrane install question.

Pete, I don't mean to 'pile on,' but .... NO GYPSUM in the shower! Not even the green or blue stuff! Yea, I know, various vendors make various claims. Read the fine print. There's a lot of 'maybes' in there. Murphy's Law will ensure that something goes wrong. I'm not a plumber; I do...
  8. Amish Electrician

I want to thank you guys for your thoughtful replies. Homework? You bet - I'm doing lots of homework, on many topics. Working with an existing footprint, I'm pretty much re-making the entire house. It's like any recipe; all the parts have to be planned with the others in mind. There are a...
  9. Amish Electrician

Doorless walk-in shower

Just letting you know I have not fallen off the edge of the earth! As we enter this Spring, I'm gearing up to get the framing done, and the plumbing started around the end of May. During the winter, my demolition revealed that the sub-flooring in both the kitchen and bath was shot. I can't say...
  10. Amish Electrician

Electric vs. Gas tankless water heater

Speaking as a Master Electrician, and a licensed Electrical Contractor ... Forget about an electric tank-less water heater. Adding electrical power to a tank-less heater is a BIG deal. Things tend to snowball. First, you'll need three 2-pole, large capacity circuits to the heater. Your...
  11. Amish Electrician

Just to remind folks, I am doing a complete-gut remodel of my 1957 house. I plan to complete the framing changes this Spring, and be ready to call in the plumber around Memorial Day. Those with supreme memories will recall that my little house will have a few unique twists to the plumbing. I...
  12. Amish Electrician

Doorless walk-in shower

John, I cannot thank you enough for the time you're sharing! I do intend on having 'pros' do the actual work. I spent too long learning my trade to not have respect for my fellow tradesmen! Perhaps you misunderstood my description. I'll try to get a sketch scanned, but until then I'll try...
  13. Amish Electrician

Design Issue: Standard or rear discharge?

Presenting me with actual FACTS, and a practical look ... I'm beginning to really like this forum! Thanks for setting me straight about there not being any need to access the back side of the wall-mounted toilets. Until now, my only exposure to them was a prison remodel, where everything you...
  14. Amish Electrician

Thanks for the replies! You've hit on my dilemma. I ask in another thread about curbless showers. I'd like to have the entire bath floor (total bathroom will be appx. 8' x 10') act as a shower pan. Eliminating the connection under the toilet would remove that complication. (Piercing the...
  15. Amish Electrician

Doorless walk-in shower

I'm a newcomer to this forum ... for a reason! Even this thread is "new" to me. I've travelled a bit, and I really liked the places where the entire bathroom floor was, in effect, the shower pan. The idea that you 'must' have a plastic closet with a curb to serve as your shower is so ...
  16. Amish Electrician

is using dryer plug acceptable?

The water heater should be on a 30-amp circuit with #10 wires, all the way to the unit. Where you come out of the wall, you should have a disconnect switch. One of the $12 disconnects they sell for use with air conditioners will work fine. Unless the heater is small (5 gallon or less)...
  17. Amish Electrician

Folks, as my name suggests, I'm no plumber. I bought a rather well-worn house, one that needs a complete gut remodel. Plus, the 1957 cast iron sewer is toast. My remodel will involve relocating every plumbing fixture, as well as shifting some walls. I'll have room for a rather generous...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks