Search results

1. Kholsme

My curbless steam shower project

Continued So this is it. I have learned a lot from this build, but given another chance I would do it differently (properly). In the case of steam rooms I would use a sheet membrane type water proofing. Although I have yet to run into moisture problems, the use of a proper sheet membrane...
  2. Kholsme

Thanks Suceress, the bench top is a remnant piece of 1-1/4" quartz. We were going to go with corian, as it would be a bit warmer to the tush. I don't really like the plastic feel of corian and we couldn't find a remnant piece of 1-1/4 corian we liked. When I use the bench I just sit on a towel...
  3. Kholsme

How and why to prepare a grout sample board

That's why I love the white on white.
  4. Kholsme

Continued I chose to go with epoxy grout. It was my first time using epoxy grout. It was more hassle, and definitely more money. Hopefully it was worth it. My thinking was that it would give me another layer of defense against moisture, as well as less maintenance, as it does not need sealing...
  5. Kholsme

Continued Tiling began. I am pretty happy with the layout. Glass mosaics in a bunch of different sizes. These would not exist if tilers were designing tiles. I had the "light and sound" hooked up at this point just to make sure it would all work before tiling.
  6. Kholsme

Is this what happened with the aquadefense in your pics? I never had any bubbling. Looks pretty gnarly.
  7. Kholsme

Yes I used the complete drain system. the screw in allowed me to set my drain height, and prevent stuff from falling in the drain when I back filled around the linear drain. I went with the full-on light and sound package as you will see later. The square cutout in the angled part of the ceiling...
  8. Kholsme

Continued So after multiple coats of Aquadefense I created a dam to flood test. A piece of scrap mdf covered with mesh and waterproofing served as the dam, which could easily be cut out after the flood test. The last pic is a scrap fitting that I marked the water level on. Left the test running...
  9. Kholsme

The fact that Hydro Ban and Red Guard are allowed for steam shower application, and Aquadefense was not, seemed odd to me. I would have used Hydro Ban, but I couldn't find it in my area, and Red Guard got mixed reviews when I was looking into it. John you are right, I ended up buying 4 gallons...
  10. Kholsme

continued I chose to use Aquadefense. I know that there is a debate on whether or not to use this product for steam rooms, but most of these debates were geared towards commercial style steam rooms. All I will say is that I have been using this steam room at least once a week for about a...
  11. Kholsme

Seeing as I used this forum extensively to prepare for my project, here is my attempt to give back a bit. This project had a lot of firsts for me. First walk-in shower build, first steam shower build, and first linear drain install. I figured since this was a bathroom in my own basement, I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks