Search results

1. VTplumb

xps Rigid Foam with slate on top

Seems to be a lot of debate on this, I need to raise the slate about 2in so i was planning on using tapcons to attach either 5/8" advantec or 1/2in hardibacker through 1 inch xps into the slab with slate on top, also looking to eliminate condensation so using the xps would work for that too...
  2. VTplumb

Hardwood slab on grade

Dana, the Advantech isnt a vapor barrier of any type due the the water resistant is it? won't cause any issues in my stackup? Also, i read in an earlier post (sorry, for not responding to that one but it was old) you stated "By contrast polyisocynurate is downright WIMPY when it comes to...
  3. VTplumb

insulation board under slate floor to warm it up

Hi, I know about the Wedi and kerdi board but was looking for a lower cost alternative to creating a thermal break between a concrete slab an a slate floor I have a total of about 2 inchs to play with 1/2" of that would be the slate and morter. Can you use XPS or poly iso with Backer board or...
  4. VTplumb

Hardwood slab on grade

dana, if i use advantc 5/8 t&g with 3/8" hardwood and 1" poly iso i would be at around r7.5 and only have a 1.5" transitions do you think that would be robust? i think the thermomax brand poly iso is 25psi. also slab appears to be very dry, i think the overpour ontop of poly must have done...
  5. VTplumb

Hardwood slab on grade

thanks Dana, so will using .5, .75 or 1" polyiso under 5/8" or 3/4" ply (any combo) eliminate condensaton problems? if so which ones. also do i screw( can i powernail?) the sibfloor to the slab, or can it float thanks for your help, mark
  6. VTplumb

Hardwood slab on grade

Dana, Do you see any value in adding "quiet walk" type underlayment? I was thinking that it would add a tiny bit of comfort without any real height, they say a .5R plus might deaden some sound. Is it worth doing the Iso? is the trade of rvalue/psi worth it? or just do XPS, my main...
  7. VTplumb

Hardwood slab on grade

Hi, house is slabish on grade, built into a hill so the back wall has about 6' of dirt against it. looking to install hardwood on a slab (on grade) here is what i am thinking of doing: 6-15mil poly > 1/2" poly iso > 5/8" Plywood (or osb?) > Insulayment or Quiet floor (has vapor barrier)...
  8. VTplumb

installing water to a garage

Just one pipe entering tank.
  9. VTplumb

I am not sure, it is a newer tank, pump (5 years) put in before I bought the house. I did find 30-40 20' long galvinized pipes in the woods, I figure that was from the old system cause our well is drilled to 800' and I think in the 60's they wouldnt of had plastic pipe that could handle the...
  10. VTplumb

Should there be a check valve at the well? before the tee? or are you saying that there sould not be a checkvalve in the whole system? Also should the tee be brass, stainless or plastic - does it matter? and is it ok to use stainless steel hose clamps (with the screw) or should it be...
  11. VTplumb

Hi, I currently have a well that feeds a house and will be adding a freestanding garage that I would like to add water to. Can I simply add a tee fitting at the water pipe exiting the well? or is it more complicated than that. In the house it goes like this: line comes into house, then check...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks