Search results

1. Amateur Plumber

Noisy Grundfos Shallow Well Jet Pump

No, the only valve is between the tank and the house. I will move the valve to before the tank and see if restricting the output helps.
  2. Amateur Plumber

I raised the cuton / cutoff pressure to 40 / 60. The precharge in the pressure tank is still 28. The pump did sound less noisy, especially when the pressure reached 50 psi.
  3. Amateur Plumber

Thank you valveman. I will give it a try.
  4. Amateur Plumber

Thank you Reach4. There is a pitless adapter at the end of the horizontal pipe run. But, if that were leaking, I think I would see air in the water.
  5. Amateur Plumber

Agreed. There is no check valve in the system. Only a footvalve.
  6. Amateur Plumber

My Wayne ReliantOne 1 HP convertible shallow well jet pump failed last week. I began to see some air in the lines, loss of water pressure, and then the pump stopped pumping water completely. I replaced that pump with a new Grundfos 1 HP JP4-61ASI Shallow Well Jet Pump. After priming the new...
  7. Amateur Plumber

Need advice on sump pump design

The duplex alternating system is a reasonably good solution to at least know when the pump(s) fail. But at $400+, seems very expensive and it only switches a single supply mains. If a pump fails and you blow that fuse, you are dead in the water so to speak. I'm going to go with the...
  8. Amateur Plumber

The pumps do pump now, but only after I did a manual switch movement. Apparently the switches stuck open at some point. Once the switches became operational again, I used both pumps to pump water through the same check valves, so both check valves are not locked up. As I said, I am...
  9. Amateur Plumber

I pulled the switch off one of the Zoeller M53 pumps today. Took it apart, and found the contacts badly burned. My theory now is that one pump failed at some time in the past, but I did not know it. The other pump took over but likewise also failed, leaving me with water in the basement...
  10. Amateur Plumber

The existing Zoeller pumps are thermally protected, with auto reset. (at least according to the Zoeller docs). But thanks Smooky.
  11. Amateur Plumber

My existing sump has 2 Zoeller M53 pumps installed in a 24 inch sump pit. One is about 3 inches higher than the other, and each has a separate electrical circuit. Both have check valves installed about 2 feet above the pump, which then feed into a single 2 inch line going out of the house...
  12. Amateur Plumber

Replaced shallow well pipes and put in pitless adapter: Now no water pumped

Thanks. Just so I am clear, I apply silicone sealer around the o-ring, then lower it into the casing? Assuming I bump the o-ring on the casing a little on the way down, some of the sealer will be lost. So, I assume that I don't need a real thick layer for this to seal.
  13. Amateur Plumber

Thanks Valveman. I pulled the footvalve, and NO mud, sediment, etc. I am now suspecting the pitless adapter as well. When you say silicone the o-ring, do you mean to use silcone caulk (sealer) around the o-ring? I only used the recommended silicone based anti-seize / gasket lube from...
  14. Amateur Plumber

I replaced my existing 50+ year old galvanized pipe leading to my shallow well with sch 80 1.25 inch PVC. Total horizontal run is 20 feet. I also replaced the well seal with a pitless adapter, attaching that to a sch 80 1.25 inch PVC down pipe. The down pipe is about 20 feet deep...
  15. Amateur Plumber

How to remove Well Head?

Got the seal off. I did loosen the bolts, and it then could be pried out with a lot of effort. I measured existing pipe length, and it was 21 feet. Add another foot to get up to the pump, and the vertical lift is a total of 22 feet. I measured the depth of the well, and got about 21 feet...
  16. Amateur Plumber

How to remove Well Head?

Thanks for the response. I have now dug out the well head, and the new photo shows the well seal. I have been trying to pull out the well seal, but no luck so far. If you look at the photo, you will see where I broke off a couple of bits of the top of the seal. What should be my next...
  17. Amateur Plumber

How to remove Well Head?

I have a 50+ year old single pipe shallow well supplying potable water for my home. The well is about 20 feet from my home, and the piping terminates in my basement where it is piped into a shallow jet well pump. I suspect that the galvanized iron pipe used is at least 50, if not 60 years...
  18. Amateur Plumber

Converting from jet pump to submersible

If that is the case, would you recommend a 3 inch pump? I see where Grundfos makes a 3 inch 1/2 HP pump 5SQE-90 that would do the job.
  19. Amateur Plumber

Converting from jet pump to submersible

Thanks Texas Wellman. Agreed that the first step would be to cut off the pipe running to the home. In the picture you see the seal with a pipe running down the page. That is the pipe going to the home. There is a small copper tube on the left side of that that vents the well. That copper...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks