Search results

1. Jimmym

pH Correction

I only measured it at the kitchen sink. I did let it run for a while. Not quite a lab quality analysis. I imagine it would not correct as well as the flow rate increases. Makes sense. Bottom line... I've got CPVC pipes (now) and a MUCH better pH, a neutralizer that I like, water that I love...
  2. Jimmym

Pipe Volume

That's 1728 in^3 / 1 ft^3. Not 144.
  3. Jimmym

pH Correction

I bought a 1.5 CuFt fiberglass tank, in/out head and set it up for upflow. Filled it about 2/3 of the way up with Calcite. It works GREAT! My pH was 5.7 and it was eating my pipes. I already had some pin-holing. Now, a pool pH kit shows 6.8-7ish using Calcite. I'm not sure how accurate that is...
  4. Jimmym

Acid neutralizer backflushing

I'll have to get a pH test kit. I suppose a pool test kit will work. The nearest 10th should be close enough. It'll be interesting to see what the pH does based on flow rate. At work here, they were throwing away a fiberglass tank like the one I have only bigger. This thing was about 12" across...
  5. Jimmym

Acid neutralizer backflushing

Neutralization update Well, things have been running for a couple of months now with GREAT results. Final installation is Pump->CSV->tank&switch->upflow neutralizer. Just after the neutraliser I have a hose bib. I've connected a large garden hose to this and opened it up outside during a "flow...
  6. Jimmym

Cycle Stop Valve CSV1Z Results

I've got the CSV1 (60PSI). Roughly 52/67 PSI cut in/out. Great pressure. My pump will run continuously as I shower. Usually the most demanding thing I do is fill the tub and the pump holds 60 PSI even if I turn on other things at once. The pump won't push past 60 PSI unless I'm just running the...
  7. Jimmym

Sump pump questions

Your sump is 18" diam and 25" deep? There's always 20" of water in the pit? Has anyone caught this? First you need to get the pump down to about 6" from the bottom of that pit not 20"
  8. Jimmym

Hydronic baseboard zone question ...

Is the system a primay/secondary loop configuration? (1 boiler circ pump, plus one pump dor each zone). Or is it just 3 zones pumped into the boiler without a primary loop? You need a flow check (not swing check) at both connections of the zone loop to the primary loop. There's (possibly)...
  9. Jimmym

Adding New Toilet Upstairs

In my previous house, the sink drained into a vertical pipe in the wall. It continued up to the drain for the shower above. From there it continued into the attic as the vent. I'm not sure what the problem is? If the pipe is big enough, use it as the drain. If not, replace it with a bigger one...
  10. Jimmym

Drake-quiet?

The big stink is about PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid). It's a chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and other fluoro-polymers. It's a long chain molecule that, once it gets into your body, it can't get out. An alternative exists and is a shorter chain molecule that flushes out of the body if...
  11. Jimmym

Cure Time For CPVC "Glue?"

Who says this? The documentation on the FlowGuard site says their product is just fine. I don't know how you run your hydronic system, but mine is 180 Deg Max at 20 PSI. See page 18 of the PDF document listed above. Also, page 15 says it can be used for direct connections to water heaters as...
  12. Jimmym

Water heaters in series

OK, I've done a search, but haven't come up with a situation like the one I'm about to try. I know the whole "two water heaters" subject has been beat to death, but... I have an 80 MBtu oil fired boiler. It has a tankless coil built in. Normally, it's just about adequate. However, when...
  13. Jimmym

I used the purple primer and the orange cement. The Lowes didn't have the one step. I just used the purple so I wouldn't forget what I had primed and not primed. No regrets, no leaks, no sweat (pun intended). They also say it's perfectly suited to hydronics. We'll see. I read that the original...
  14. Jimmym

I just replumbed with FlowGuard Gold too. Way too easy. I'll never use copper again if I can avoid it. There are 2 methods of joining. Primer and Cement or One-Step. The Primer you use is either clear or purple. The solvent cement for CPVC is ORANGE. The One-Step cement (by FlowGuard) is...
  15. Jimmym

Bemis toilet performance

Ah. Thanks. Perhaps I need to get a little closer to it to find out who makes it. Forgive the graphic description. It's a great toilet.
  16. Jimmym

Bemis toilet performance

I just bought a new house that has a Bemis toilet installed in the downstairs bathroom. This thing seems to take anything I throw at it without hesitation. I mean ANYTHING. If it can come out of my body this thing will take care of it. One flush. BAM! It didn't seem to be the case at our old...
  17. Jimmym

Cycle Stop Valve = Lots of air?

I've got 1" to the boiler then it branches to 3/4" for the hot and cold trunks. Not enough? Oh well, how often do I run everything anyway? Right?
  18. Jimmym

Pinholes in copper pipes

This has to be some sort of sick joke. NOWHERE have I ever seen anything about limiting time above a certain temperature. I'll be recirculating 130F water at 65 PSI. I just went through Charlotte Pipes site ( I used FlowGuard). None of their literature/specs suggest not using it for...
  19. Jimmym

Cycle Stop Valve = Lots of air?

OK. Thanks, Bob. I'll just leave it as is, and enjoy my superb water pressure. When things get worse or it fails, I'll fix it then. Perhaps a variable speed pump this time. certainly one with more ooomph. I'd like it to maintain pressure with more things running. Thanks, again.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks