Search results

1. Scottl44

Grout or Caulk at Tile corners?

Ever since I read that recommendation to leave gaps in the caulk for drainage, I have wanted to know if this is normal and standard since I have never seen such gaps in any stall shower installation I have seen. If it is normal, then I thought why even caulk the spot where the tile and pan...
  2. Scottl44

OK, it's 13" glazed porcelain tile with 1/16" non-sanded joints. I think it's on backer board AND "green" board behind that. So John, are you saying yes to some gaps in the caulk where the tile meets the pan? If so, would they be best at the grout joints? I got this recommendation from this...
  3. Scottl44

OK, just so I can be clear, it is normal for water to get through the grout, and it just evaporates or seeps back out. Is that correct? Also, should there or should there not be any gaps left in the caulking where the tile meets the shower pan? (30" stall shower caulked on three sides where the...
  4. Scottl44

John, Not sure I understand your answer. The drain holes I mention are maybe called weep holes, but they are part of the Florestone pan I mentioned, so they may have nothing to do with tile.
  5. Scottl44

OK, are you saying that any water that gets through the grout will just come back through? Since this 30x30 stall shower is caulked on three sides where the 13" tiles meet the pan, the only "drain" holes are on either side at the front. I was reading on another tile forum that it is recommended...
  6. Scottl44

I just have Custom's non-sanded in 1/16" joints. I always had thought sealer was to keep out water. So is it normal and permissible to have water leech in to those joints? It doesn't cause any water damage inside the wall?
  7. Scottl44

I have gotten used to putting sealer on grout, but I never actually knew why. Is it to keep water out, or to keep the grout from staining? Thanks, Scott
  8. Scottl44

If it was moisture from behind, wouldn't the caulk be discolored all the way through? I can dig or scrape at this stuff and see the caulk color underneath. Which shower do you mean, the one that's done or the one I want to do?
  9. Scottl44

Hi guys, Back again. Now that my little girls are getting bigger, they want to start taking showers, so I need to install a sliding door over the tub. Anyway, the same contractor used grout in the corners of that shower and it's cracking so I'm going to strip it out and caulk the corners. My...
  10. Scottl44

Thanks so much for your detailed answers!
  11. Scottl44

Fantastic. I had no idea. Just a couple more questions. Since the soap goes all over the shower and not just on the caulk, why doesn't it grow on the tile or the grout? It does seem to get on parts of the metal door frame though. I have a steel sink in my kitchen with clear caulking where it...
  12. Scottl44

It takes more than 15 minutes to get the black stuff off?
  13. Scottl44

After all this time, I find that the GE 100% silicone I used turns black in few spots and can't be cleaned. I was reading elsewhere here that Terry (I think) was recommending polyseamseal around a toilet instead of silicone. Is that also a good choice for the shower where the tile meets the pan...
  14. Scottl44

That wasn't my picture. My question was the original one. The first one got answered, but the second one about leaving gaps in the caulk where the tile meets the pan, 2 posts up, did not. Anybody have an opinion? Thanks!
  15. Scottl44

OK, got it on the change of plane. Strip the grout and caulk it. Thanks! But what about what I read about leaving gaps in the caulk where the tile meets the pan? If that's recommended, then why not leave it uncaulked altogether?
  16. Scottl44

Hello, In my last house (tract built 2002), the contractor caulked the joint where the side wall tiles meet the back wall tiles in the stall shower. In my new (1956 fixer) house, the contractor I hired used grout in those corners. We have 13" tiles, 1/16" joint non-sanded. It seems the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks