Search results

1. BrianZ

Dried thinset on tile surface

Since it looks like stone and not like ceramic, I started in on the abrasion method in a non conspicuous spot with course sandpaper and a random orbit sander. It seems to be tumbled marble by the look of it (dull finish with little pock marks like the surface of the moon). Sanding smooths it out...
  2. BrianZ

I could, but he may not remember the details of this installation as it is not standard, he doesn't order the tile, and it was a while back. I just thought it may (potentially) be obvious to tile experts as to what kind of tile it is, but then materials can be deceptive these days. Maybe I can...
  3. BrianZ

These don't look to be glazed. So maybe just attack it with sandpaper?
  4. BrianZ

Our builder's tile contractor left thinset on the tile surfaces of the shower floor (I thought it was just dirt back before I knew what thinset was...). So its had plenty of time to bond and its on there real good. There's also thinset mixed into the grout lines but I can scrape that out and...
  5. BrianZ

Vinyl Window Question: Ok for corners to buckle?

Its a slab on grade with footing/stemwalls. Its not particularly swampy relative to anywhere else in MS as far as I can tell, and the grade tapers away from the house on all sides. I don't see any signs of shifting. I think the windows have always been like this. I noticed it a while ago. Some...
  6. BrianZ

Several windows are like this. The builder's warranty may cover it, but not if it is caused by the ground shifting, which will be his claim most likely.
  7. BrianZ

Can I use expanding foam in roof eaves openings?

I've got a similar issue. One roof overlaps another and at that spot the builder left a gap in the fascia. On the flat parts of the fascia this is sealed with wood containing soffit screens as shown above by Dana, but at the section in the picture they didn't do this, probably because its more...
  8. BrianZ

The attached photo is a Maritech Vinyl window in a new house (10 months since construction). The house is under a 'bonded builder's' warranty and the window is possibly under a manufacturer warranty. Is this buckling of the window at the corners normal or is there a defect in the window or its...
  9. BrianZ

bathtub grouted not caulked

I don't know if the tiles in mine are laced, probably not. But its good to hear grout can potentially hold up, and I'm happy to wait and see, as there are plenty of other jobs I have to take care of immediately in this house (starting with searching the forum for grout sealers). Also, I just...
  10. BrianZ

Ok, thanks. I'll put that on my list, and if it doesn't work, there's always the old acrylic enclosure solution.
  11. BrianZ

So would I just take a grout knife, attack the grout, then fill in with silicone? I guess I could then take some of the grout to the store to find matching silicone. There are several showers done the same way in the house, one of which has 16 changes of plane.
  12. BrianZ

So you would recommend redoing even the corners where tile meets tile?
  13. BrianZ

Thanks Redshoe. By 'replace' I take it you mean rip and scrape out the grout? Vertical corners..you mean both corners of the entire tile enclosure or just the edges where the tub meets tile?
  14. BrianZ

We bought a newly built house. Just looked closer at the acrylic tub (not used yet) and saw that its grouted at the junction with the tile surround. I take it this will crack pretty soon? What next, caulk over the cracked grout?
  15. BrianZ

This old Delta faucet - replacing parts

followup To follow up... Success! The faucet was easy to disassemble and reassemble with new O-rings and parts from the standard Delta repair kit. Soaking everything in vinegar took off most of the copper deposits. Took about ten minutes of hands-on time. Doesn't look 'brand new' but that...
  16. BrianZ

I may have the number wrong up top. There is also a '174' on the manual, so that might be the number. It may not be a hex nut, but I used a hex wrench to remove it, so it is some sort of hex. Maybe a hex screw. Home depot sold me universal kit. Which I will mess with this weekend if I can...
  17. BrianZ

Soldered, you are correct. I have no license. I do have a rebuild kit from home depot ($7.50). I'm not looking for long term function here, as I will likely be selling the house soon.
  18. BrianZ

The current shutoff valves are welded to copper pipes. These connect to the faucet via brass screw-on fittings and more copper pipes.
  19. BrianZ

Yes, replacing with a newer model (this one is discontinued so parts need to be mail ordered) would likely be less expensive if I can find one that has similar hookups (or some kind of adapters and hoses to re-route the intake/output lines).
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks