Search results

1. Seattle_Steve

Converting from baseboard to in-floor

Hi Dana, Thanks for the additional info. When I said weigh the in-floor estimate against baseboards, I wasn't strictly talking about dollars. I understand that baseboards would be cheaper. Honestly, I find baseboard heating comfortable. (OTOH, I've never lived with in-floor radiant, so maybe I...
  2. Seattle_Steve

Thanks Dana. I guess this is a little more involved than I had hoped... Maybe I will get some bids on design/install of in-floor and then weigh that against just putting in baseboards, which I think I can do myself. Only problem is the bathroom, where there's no good place for a baseboard...
  3. Seattle_Steve

I had a Munchkin boiler installed a couple years ago with 3 zone valves. Only one of the zones was initially connected -- to baseboards on my main floor. The other 2 zones were intended for a future 2nd floor addition and finished basement. I've now had the 2nd floor addition framed...
  4. Seattle_Steve

Acceptable way(s) to stack/bundle multiple NM cables

Thanks Dave. kreemoweet: My word choice was poor. What I should have said was, in the attic, the 1 1/4" rule is less of an issue because you have more space to work with. I think I have followed all rules around wire placement/protection in the attic. Also, yes, I have used the zip-ties with...
  5. Seattle_Steve

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have a link to an example of these "taller" staples? I've looked at the big box stores and haven't seen them. And, I don't know of any other local "retail" electrical supply shops... Also, unless ActionDave was referring to this, I haven't seen a direct...
  6. Seattle_Steve

Yeah, that's what I meant by "stacker" (maybe they're called something else?). I've used those when I have 3 or 4 cables to stack, but like I said, it seems overkill and expensive to use those everywhere that you just have 2 cables to stack?
  7. Seattle_Steve

Homeowner here, wiring a new addition... I feel like there's probably an easy answer to this question, but I haven't had much luck finding it here or on google: if I have multiple cables running up a 2x4, what is the best (inspector-approved) way to attach them and still keep them 1 1/4" from...
  8. Seattle_Steve

Rough-in for bathroom fan?

Make sense. Thanks, guys.
  9. Seattle_Steve

Rough-in for bathroom fan?

I'm wiring an addition and I think I understand what the inspector will want to see as far as outlets, switches and regular light receptacles. But, how do I rough in the wiring for a bathroom fan? Now that I think about it, I guess the same question applies to recessed lighting. Do I install the...
  10. Seattle_Steve

Caleffi Z-one actuator failures

I had a radiant heating system installed just over two years ago (Munchkin boiler to radiant baseboards). I have had 3 failed zone valve actuators during this time. They were all the Caleffi Z-one Z151000 model. The mechanism continues to work (it opens the valve when the thermostat tells it...
  11. Seattle_Steve

6 AWG to 100 amp subpanel?

Ok, I've given up on Siemens. I took a look at the documentation for the 125A main lug. Turns out they only (apparently) support 3 specific breakers for backfeeding the panel. Not surprisingly, none of these was available at Home Despot. In addition, the 3 breakers were all in the 100-125Amp...
  12. Seattle_Steve

Interesting. Makes sense. After a little more research it sounds like I'll also need a "breaker retaining clip" to meet this requirement. I've added it to my list.
  13. Seattle_Steve

Yeah, unfortunately (or not?), Siemens builds the main breaker into the panel -- it's physically attached at the top of the panel and isn't a regular breaker that slides into one of the slots. Same with the breaker's lugs -- they don't seem replaceable. In the meantime, I bought a Cutler &...
  14. Seattle_Steve

So, back to the topic... Thanks for all the suggestions. I do prefer to have a main cutoff on the sub-panel. It seems like Siemens 100-amp panels all require #4 minimum for the main breakers. So, I'm thinking I might take the suggestion to return the panel I bought and just get a "main lug"...
  15. Seattle_Steve

Thanks Jim. By "splice" do you mean simply twist-with-wire-nut as you would with smaller gauge splices? Steve
  16. Seattle_Steve

I'm installing a sub-panel for a new addition. My load calc suggests a 50amp load for the sub-panel. So, I'm planning a 50amp feeder breaker in the main panel with #6 feeder wire to the sub-panel. But, the local retail stores don't carry (Siemens) panels smaller than 100amp. I checked with the...
  17. Seattle_Steve

Electrical subpanel for new addition

Thanks for the recommendation guys. Since my original post I did run across a code-related article (don't remember the specifics now) that implied a separate circuit per bathroom was required or at least recommended. I'll run a separate circuit from the main panel to the main floor bathroom...
  18. Seattle_Steve

Thanks, I'll take a look at se-r as well. Regarding the conduit route: I'm not having much luck finding references for conduit use. As an alternative to using NM cable for the feeder, can I route individual #6 THHN wires through conduit? If so, do you know what the minimum size conduit would...
  19. Seattle_Steve

As an alternative to the 6-3 NM (Romex) cable, I'm considering running conduit (to protect the wire). If I were to go that route, what would be the minimum size conduit? And would it be the same size for the individual conductors (#6)?
  20. Seattle_Steve

Ok, got it now. Looking back at your original reply, what confused me was "... the calculation is over." I took "over" to mean that my calculation was "way too high". You were just saying that the calculation "is complete" at that point (and no need to add the outdoor receptacle load). So...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks