Search results

1. HomeRepairGuy

Slow flushing toilet

When you pull the toilet, suggest doing two things: 1. Quickly dump 3+ gallons of water into the drain several times to verify whether the drain is clear. 2. Tie a rag "securely" in the middle of a rope and pull the rag back & forth through the toilet's drain path. If there's a pen or...
  2. HomeRepairGuy

Toto Drake difference between fast & full flush?

Thanks jadnashua. The toilet fill is 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube so that looks good. And the bowl is just filling to the top when the fill valve shuts off so that looks good also. Thanks for your help, HRG
  3. HomeRepairGuy

Thanks Terry. The fast flush only flushes one time and seems normal so I guess it's OK. Just for additional info, when you adjust the fill valve, how far below the top of the overflow tube do you usually adjust the water level? (I'm using a Fluidmaster fill valve)
  4. HomeRepairGuy

Have a Toto Drake CST743 toilet which I believe is a 1.6 GPF toilet. I previously replaced the flapper with a Korky flapper. That flapper developed a slow leak (after about a year of use) so I just replaced it with a Toto THU500S flapper. The THU500S is an adjustable flapper so I want to...
  5. HomeRepairGuy

Fix crack or replace toilet tank

I would turn the water off to the toilet, flush the toilet and not use it any more (unless it's your only toilet). Replace the toilet. The consequence of the tank breaking with the resulting flood of your home, especially if it happens when you're not at home, is mind-blowingly too great. If...
  6. HomeRepairGuy

How does one verify there's no wax ring leak after install?

Thanks Terry for your input. I'll do a bunch of holding the handle down flushes to "hopefully" see a leak if it's happening, before caulking.
  7. HomeRepairGuy

To allow water from any wax ring leak in the future to leak out the back as an alert that the wax ring is leaking.
  8. HomeRepairGuy

After installing a toilet and before caulking the base to the floor, what's the proper way to verify that there's no wax ring leak? The toilet is a Toto water saver type. I forget the toilet model but maybe a drake. If pouring water quickly into the bowl from a bucket (say 3 gallons of...
  9. HomeRepairGuy

TOTO Unifit leaking with new wax ring

Wonder if the water is backing up in the drain and leaking via the wax ring? To test, fill a 5 gallon bucket with more water than the toilet tank holds. Then with the unifit adapter removed, quickly pour the water directly into the drain and see if the water backs up. Also, a tip I read was...
  10. HomeRepairGuy

Level toilet on concrete floor

Thanks. Your reply did make me aware of a flaw in my intended procedure. By putting silicone grease on the bottom of the toilet so it won't stick to the grout, that would allow the toilet to move around on the grout. I think a better way will be to build a level platform that is the same...
  11. HomeRepairGuy

Level toilet on concrete floor

I need to reset our Toto toilet on a concrete floor that is out of level. The floor has the stick on vinyl tiles now so the toilet will sit on the vinyl tiles. The base of the toilet is about 9-3/4" wide and the floor is out of level about 3/16" or 1/4" in that span. My plan is: Install the...
  12. HomeRepairGuy

Insulating water lines in attic?

My temp consideration is based on abient temp changes. Note my avatar, I live in Hawaii. In Hawaii, it never gets down to 50 degrees in our area but I used that temp as a worst case cold temp. The 120 degrees hot temp is what our water heater is set at. Everyone who installs pex should...
  13. HomeRepairGuy

Insulating water lines in attic?

For "my" definition, it depends on whether it is a hot or cold line, taking the expansion/contraction rate of 1" per 100 feet per 10 degrees farenheight into consideration. For a hot water line, the water temperature in the tubing used my installation can vary from 50 degrees when cold to 120...
  14. HomeRepairGuy

Flushing procedure for Toto Drake

Thanks for explaining the theory. Helps to know how things work in case problems develop in the future. Keep it warm, HRG
  15. HomeRepairGuy

Jiawa, Gary and Jadnashua, Thanks for clarifying the Drake's flushing procedure. We'll just do quick flushes and see how it goes. Keep it warm all, HRG
  16. HomeRepairGuy

Installed a Toto Drake toilet yesterday because of the good reviews for it on this web site. This is the first 1.6 gal/flush toilet in our home. Pressing the flush handle normally results in a quick flush using only part of the water in the tank while holding the handle down longer results...
  17. HomeRepairGuy

I have a BIG problem...

Jerome2877, Johnjh2o1 and hj, I respect all of your comments. You all are infinitely more knowledgeable than me regarding plumbing and I'm sure that you are right. My only defense is that I've cleared clogs in 2 homes (parents and ours multiple times) using a 50' snake cut down to 40'...
  18. HomeRepairGuy

I have a BIG problem...

Since your kitchen sink won't drain either, you may be able to clear the clog yourself. Look under the sink and you will see the drain line going down and back up like a sideways "P". That line will connect to a vertical pipe in the wall behind the sink (call it the waste drain pipe - WDP)...
  19. HomeRepairGuy

Is American Standard "Americast" tub good?

Hi Terry, Would very much appreciate some info on how to set an alcove tub that weighs about 142 lbs on mortar when only the front apron side is accessible. I currently have no clue on how to lift a heavy tub over the mortar to do it. Thanks, HRG
  20. HomeRepairGuy

Pipe Snake stuck in dishwasher drain

If you can attach a variable speed hand drill to the free end of the snake, give a short burst in the counter clockwise direction. That might free the stuck end and allow you to pull the snake out. DON"T spin the drill a lot or bad things can happen if the stuck end cannot move. HRG
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks