Search results

1. Mastiff

New Kohler Wellworth leaks at tank when flushed

Guys, I'm pulling my hair out. I've had the tank on and off a few times, torquing the three mounting bolts like crazy and it leaks quite badly where the tank meets the bowl. Only when flushing, so it's the main seal. Any ideas what to look for?
  2. Mastiff

Is a float and stop valve required in brine tank?

The various valves and floats and such in the brine tank have been a source of unreliability for me, and I was told that all that stuff is really optional, only there as a backup. The controller itself has a check ball to prevent sucking air, so the only other thing is preventing overfill of...
  3. Mastiff

Autotrol 255, code 2400?

This controller lost it's way temporarily and gave an "err3". I learned that the optical sensor can be confused by being in direct sunlight, and it eventually got re-oriented after I put the cover on. During the confusion, it kept displaying "2400" on the screen, and it still does now even...
  4. Mastiff

Possibly dumb bypass valve question

My softener has a bypass valve on it which consists of two valves that (I think) each can either direct flow to the softener (in and out) or toward each other. Normal bypass operation would be to turn both valves to bypass. The thing that is confusing me is that I turned only the input valve...
  5. Mastiff

Toilet not flushing reliably, clogs frequently

There is one toilet in our house that simply doesn't flush very well. When flushed it fills very full and then most of the time "catches" and the water sucks down as normal, but sometimes does not. When it doesn't I can wait a minute or two and the level drops and it can be flushed again...
  6. Mastiff

Softener brine tank tubing woes

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help with this, but I'm pulling my hair out with this thing. A few things are happening, first the tubing to the brine tank keeps separating at the place where it connects into the float assembly in the tank by the plastic compression nut thing. I've...
  7. Mastiff

Weird toilet issue

I'm still poking at this one, but wanted to get the question in to you guys. Here's the symptom: If I flush the toilet, it barely fills, at a trickle only. If I turn off the water supply and turn it back on, it starts filling like a champ. It appears to do this every cycle. When it comes...
  8. Mastiff

Meter running with everything off

I've noticed that the little triangle on my meter is constantly turning, slowly but not super slowly, even with everything off. The turn rate is constant. If I turn off the water at the house, it stops. Also, if I turn off the valve at the softener, it stops. So, must be something downstream...
  9. Mastiff

Pentair 760 question

I have the manual for this softener, but I'm still unclear about this: If I set the calendar override to some value other than zero, am I forcing it to regen at that interval, or will it still make a decision at that time? I've had it on zero (auto regen based on usage) and think I may be...
  10. Mastiff

Slow leak with all new guts in toilet.

Our toilet was having various issues so I decided to just replace everything. I got a fluidmaster kit (not the dual flush) and installed it. I waited a day and felt around under the tank and could feel a little water. There was clearly a slow leak. I'm not sure the brand of the toilet, but...
  11. Mastiff

Trouble drawing brine

I have an Autotrol 255 based system and it's been having trouble drawing brine. The symptom is that the air check at the valve sucks the ball down right away and nothing sucks in. I've found that if I submerge the line to the salt/brine tank directly in the brine and bypass all the floats and...
  12. Mastiff

New American Standard faucet leaking

I'm installing a new American Standard single lever, single hole, bathroom faucet. It's a cool thing with a cable actuated stopper. I put it all in and it seemed to be working until I saw drips coming down the supply lines. The lines are factory installed up into the faucet body. I confirmed...
  13. Mastiff

GE electric water heater, lower element not in use?

I installed a new GE 50 gallon electric water heater recently, replacing a very similar unit (not GE, and it lasted about 16 years). While it has been working, we've noticed we run out of hot water really fast, like one long shower and it's gone. This was never a problem before. I got to...
  14. Mastiff

Cold water in hot water line

I replaced my hot water heater this weekend, and all went well outside of the usual leaks and kinked hoses. One thing I noticed, however, is that water would flow out from the hot water pipes in the wall unless the water to the whole house was off. I thought it was just water in the pipes, but...
  15. Mastiff

Should new softener resin need to be regenerated right away?

I just installed a new softener with brand new resin out of the bag(s). It's in service and we're not really noticing any difference. I realize the hot water heater has a supply of hard water in it still, but I think we've flushed that by now. The unit has not regenerated yet though, does the...
  16. Mastiff

Is it a bad idea to drain softener into the ground?

I'm installing a softener and the install point is outside far away from any convenient drain. The Kinetico guy was going to go up onto the roof and drain into a vent. We live in the desert here and I was really wondering if it would be okay to drain onto the ground. Maybe dig a big hole and...
  17. Mastiff

Kinetico alternatives?

We're looking to install a softener and we are pre-plumbed in a "remote" location (outside the house on the side). Running electrical to this spot would be either extremely difficult or cosmetically ugly, maybe both. So a non-electric unit like Kinetico is very appealing. I have good brand...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks