Search results

1. TubeGuru

Bowl fills, tank slowly drains into bowl but stops when tank is full

I read the "Small Hose in Toilet Tank" thread and now understand what is happening. The fill tube fills the bowl, but there is too much water going through the fill tube into the overflow tube. That's because the blue flow adjuster was not installed on the tube. It will fill the bowl quickly...
  2. TubeGuru

Here's the stream while the tank fills. I agree that it is by design, but I don't know that it did this prior to week ago. I never heard it running or saw the water streaming into the bowl like it does now... which is why I posted. What is the purpose of this stream, and is it adjustable...
  3. TubeGuru

I have a one-piece Kohler installed in 2005. About a year ago my plumber installed a new Fluidmaster fill valve and the correct Kohler flapper (he showed me how the part number is impressed on the inside of the tank wall). It worked perfectly, but a week ago it developed a problem that goes...
  4. TubeGuru

Replacing 240v electric cooktop with gas cooktop - can I get 120v?

The cooktop is supplied with a three-prong plug, so it is not hardwired as delivered. Now if I went "snip", then it would be hardwired. Since the 240v oven/microwave combo unit is still on this circuit, I'm not sure how we could repurpose one of the hot leads... hence my gut feeling that I...
  5. TubeGuru

Replacing 240v electric cooktop with gas cooktop - can I get 120v?

So, the Jennair downdraft electric cooktop that I posted a question about in 2010 is coming out and I’m replacing it with a Jennair downdraft gas cooktop. The 50A breaker in the main panel feeds #6 Al Type SE cable, which goes to the oven/microwave combo, and then runs to the electric cooktop...
  6. TubeGuru

Bathroom outlets tripping garage GFCI

My retired neighbour asked me if I could take a look at the GFCI outlet in his garage, which he said would no longer reset. I probably didn't need to, but I replaced the 35 year old outlet with a new one, and when I turned the breaker back on, the GFCI tripped. In these older homes, the...
  7. TubeGuru

Strange breaker story

My folks live in a gated community in Tucson. My sister is minding the house, which is about 30 years old, and had a strange story to tell. "Microwave was running. Electricity went off in living room (lights and TV), dining room and hall lights. Kitchen lights still on, fridge on, d/w...
  8. TubeGuru

Need guidance on new outdoor outlet

No reason other than that I have a spool of it on hand. I just got back from looking at in-use covers and boy are they big. A flush-mounted box looks like a given, unless I forgo the in-use concept and use a dual-gang flip-lid cover. I may not have been clear above that I was planning to put...
  9. TubeGuru

Need guidance on new outdoor outlet

It's time for me to get around to installing an outdoor outlet at the front of the house for seasonal usage: small water pump for the fountain, leaf blower and Christmas lights. I'd like the GFI outlets switched so that the fountain does not have to be plugged/unplugged twice a day. I'd prefer...
  10. TubeGuru

Electricians that charge an initial consulting fee?

http://www.accurate-electric.com/pricing.html This just seems weird. They charge $60 to come to your house to give you a firm bid on the work. That might be fine for large jobs, but for a small job that you know will take an hour or less, they could give you a high bid and you're out $60...
  11. TubeGuru

Al to Cu Cooktop Connections

Jim in VT: The fan is 120V and the burners are 240V, which I assume is why the rating plate says "120/240 or 120/208". The instructions say "three-wire, single-phase, 120/240VAC..." Jim in MD: The service feeder, as Petey pointed out, is 3-wire. The old cooktop had the feeder neutral (bare...
  12. TubeGuru

I talked to an electrician today, who raised a couple of questions in my mind. First is that he said it should be on its own 30A breaker. This makes sense, since the cooktop and separate oven/microwave combo are on the same 50A circuit, and that's no protection against a fault in the...
  13. TubeGuru

It's a Jenn-Air JED8230, rated at 4.3 - 8.0 kW @ 120/240. It's also a 3-wire (red, black, white) whereas the old Jenn-Air was 2-wire. The built-in GE oven/microwave are on the same circuit as the cooktop, which is perhaps why it has a 50A breaker. Update: it may be #6 Al. The ink is...
  14. TubeGuru

I just replaced my 120V cooktop, and now its time to hook it up. The 50A service is fed through #8 stranded Al Type SE cable, and the cooktop has #12 stranded Cu. Its pretty clear to me from researching the topic that Al-Cu connections have to be done right, if they can't be avoided...
  15. TubeGuru

How do I handle this dishwasher drain setup?

I scraped the paint off of the air gap vent and didn't find any holes. So I presume I should drill a 1/4" hole in the cap?
  16. TubeGuru

That's great news! Based on Terry and HJ's answers, I can use the existing drain, and should not add a loop at the DW. The DW already has a built-in loop in the back. And yes, the DW is next to the sink. I went under the crawl space earlier and was baffled not to find anything at all...
  17. TubeGuru

I took the old GE dishwasher out tonight and found that there's a 5/8" copper pipe going through the base of the wall and off under the house somewhere (I'll go into the crawl space tomorrow to investigate). The old dishwasher was connected via a 16" rubber hose. Should I connect the new...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks