Search results

1. paulmars

Flickering and brown outs

This is in my home and none of my neighbors have this issue. Two of us get power from the same wire coming from one electrical pole. He says he don't have this issue either, but I must consider that maybe he just don't notice. Occasionally (like once or a few times a day) lights flicker and/or...
  2. paulmars

HVAC service problem?

HVAC installed (replaced) in 2001. (Oil heater and conventional AC). Everything except for duct work and flue/chimney replaced. Since then Ive had a lot of questionable service and tune up service calls and now I'm doing what I can myself. I'm also in a very bad financial situation. So, any...
  3. paulmars

Shower leak on floor

Any ideas what i can do to fix this without tearing out the shower? shower drain never backs up, but pipe below it does leak below shower floor and only when taking shower. See pics. The drain must be leaking. It gets wet inside that wall and with long showers, it leaks out onto the finished...
  4. paulmars

Help, my oil burner is not working

Oil burner pump is not pulling in fuel. This is a single line system and beckett says that I should feel vacuum at pump inlet with the bleed port opened but I don't. The pump strainer is clean. Any ideas what could be wrong and how to test? Additional info: Yesterday, I closed the oil line...
  5. paulmars

Moen Chateau, how fix broken faucet?

Screw broke off. don't want to remove wall. pics:
  6. paulmars

P-trap drain pipe leak

leak. see pic. the horiz drain pipe going into the wall after the trap in the bathroom is corroded on the bottom. It is corroded on the bottom and all the way thru the pipe up until about 1" from the wall. Closer to the wall, it is still corroded and fells thin on the bottom. It is only a matter...
  7. paulmars

Manometer GAGE setup

I have a Dwyer 400-5-GAGE. What is the best way to remove and replace the fluid? Which port should be used? tks, pa
  8. paulmars

Open electric circuit?

House built 1954 w/gr ma apartment w/its own breaker box. All original wiring. Fuse boxes replaced with breaker boxes by licensed electrician in 2012. Three days ago while she used hair dryer in apt bathroom, it stopped. No power at GFCI socket. Breaker did not pop. Also not everything on that...
  9. paulmars

Sewer backs up. How to find and fix my plumbing issue?

I'm hoping not to have to hire a plumber again, although I think that I will. Any ideas what is happening here? 1951 house I bought and been living in since 1986. Twice between 1986 and 2012, the main sewer line got blocked by roots and i paid for a professional to snake it out. After the 1st...
  10. paulmars

< or > 90% efficiency oil furnace?

I just bought a new thermostat for my central oil HVAC unit. Honeywell TH4110D. I can set it for oil heater <90% efficiency or >90% efficiency. I'm not sure which to set it at. I am hoping that my unit is not exactly 90%, cuz then I'm screwed. Bryant model 58cma105-12 installed in year 2001...
  11. paulmars

Manometer accuracy

What is a good reasonable priced accurate manometer to measure my barometric damper? My furnace should be 0.025 and my flue should be -0.02. Looking at the gauges for sale i see accuracy (read inaccuracy) ratings that would make readings in the range that I need almost useless. Exp: 0.3% of...
  12. paulmars

Fifth wire

My HVAC thermostat is 4 wire system W,R,Y,G. I just bought a new thermostat that uses 5 wires, w/extra Common connection. I was considering running a 5th wire, no easy task. then i removed old thermostat and pulled the wires out of the wall and there is a 5th black wire that was not used. So, i...
  13. paulmars

AFG replacement electrodes look too short

I bought replacement electrodes for my AFG burner and they appear too short. I took both the old and replacement electrodes apart to see if I could use some of the old pieces to make the replacement electrodes longer, but I could not. I asked the supplier and they say they have been supplying...
  14. paulmars

Central home oil heater exhaust and damper adjustment

My oil heater was replaced 12 years ago. its been working fine all these years. now I need to move the exhaust exit from roof to gable opening. This will lengthen the tube by about 50%. I will do a tune up afterwards. I see no weight on the adjustable damper and i see no hole to check the...
  15. paulmars

Central oil heater chimney

For reasons unrelated to the oll heater, Id like to move its chimney from venting thru the roof to going out the side of the garage wall. This will involve making the pipe longer and much of that increase will involve the pipe traveling horizontal. I know that i will need to readjust the...
  16. paulmars

Flue Damper

its flapping open and closed during heater use. Why? tks, pa
  17. paulmars

Central home oil heater, pump cavitating, what to do?

I had to move the tank 3 feet further down towards ground. So, now the heater pump needs to pull fuel up 3 more feet. There was already a long distance from tank to pump. About 40 feet. The tank was at the same height as the pump. fuel got pulled up about 5 feet, over about 30, then down about 5...
  18. paulmars

Replacing old fuse box questions

The 2 mains are both 60amp fuses. The power company wont tell me what amperage service I have, They say they dont know. How can I tell? I could just use 60a mains in the new breaker box, but if my service supports more, I'd like to get larger. I've never blown a main. Also, all 115vac...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks