Search results

1. JMichael

Replacing cast iron waste pipes

I got two quotes from plumbers just to replace the 40 feet of cast iron. Both reputable companies that have done good work for me before. First quote was for $2400. Second quote was for $1300. The contractor finally got back to me today (he was legitimately busy) and came over. His...
  2. JMichael

That's exactly what I think. The life of the materials minus whatever environmental elements. Believe it or not, that's also what 98% of the homeowners out there also assume. I fail to see how this was merely a repair. He replaced a run of the pipe....he didn't duct tape it. It's his...
  3. JMichael

He couldn't take the dip out. The air ducts were still down there. Again, this wasn't just a plumbing repair. There were air quality issues well beyond that scope. The plumber who did the work was one of his guys or a sub or something. I hired him to handle the entire project. This is...
  4. JMichael

Price Pfister 0X8, What type of shower faucet valve is this?

I tossed the old one before noting the brand. Anybody know what brand of shower faucet valve this is?
  5. JMichael

Thanks for the link. No, the one he used just has the bands at the end. At the time I had far bigger concerns than the pipe itself as there was a huge cleanup from the leak including mold and fungus growth and soil that needed to be removed. The actual pipe repair itself was a very small part...
  6. JMichael

Is a reinforcement band different than the crimp rings on each side?
  7. JMichael

Thank you. The coupler has wire clamps on both ends, but it's still leaking. Am I correct, given the work was done three years ago, that either the warranty of the coupler or the wire clamps or his insurance should cover this?
  8. JMichael

My house was built in 1960 and has the original cast iron waste pipes. The pipes were pushed around to accommodate the hard pipe for an HVAC system which we have since relocated to the attic. The result, however, is that the pipe dips in places and is no longer a gradual decline to the main...
  9. JMichael

Branching off water supply lines

Did the install today and it went great. I put in galvanized Ts and then connected 1/2" ProPex adapters to them and ran the tubing up through the new holes I drilled. I used ProPex drop elbows and stubbed it out with brass pipe. The bathroom is now ready for the vanity which I'll be...
  10. JMichael

Minimum diameter for a hole in the floor for a water supply line?

I have 1/2" PEX. I'm running it to a new location and need to drill through the subfloor in the wall. What's the minimum diameter the hole needs to be to accommodate the tubing?
  11. JMichael

Thanks again, guys. The plumber did a nice job on the drains. I'll look into the arrestor issue when I replumb this side of the house. After doing more research and pricing things out, it actually cost the same to go with Uponor tubes and fittings. The parts I ordered should arrive before...
  12. JMichael

I hired a plumber to branch off the drains for the sinks. He'll be out tomorrow. In the meantime, I needed to get the supply lines out of his way. I was able, with a lot of force, to twist off the cold water line at the trunk and cap it off. The hot water line was not budging. I used a...
  13. JMichael

Cool. I think I'm set. I understand PEX will virtually eliminate water hammer sounds, but the water hammer effect will still be there, correct? I was going to end the PEX at drop elbows, but if I need water hammer arrestors at each end point, am I better off using a T connection at the stub...
  14. JMichael

The current supply lines are in the way and need to go first. I'll be putting in PEX with lots of slack, so the new pipes shouldn't be in the way. I'll keep that in mind though and will make sure I leave them room for the drains.
  15. JMichael

If I set up a remote manifold system, would 1/2" PEX be fine for supplying bathroom fixtures? Are there any cons to going with 3/4" PEX instead of 1/2" PEX?
  16. JMichael

Thank you. With that being the case, I may switch to PEX. My plan would be to replace the current vertical pipes with T connectors branching off to two PEX pipes that are each routed to their destination. I'll add an extra 6' worth of PEX for each run that I will be able to use to run to a...
  17. JMichael

I guess the main question I have is, can pipes run up and over each other and, if so, what is the recommended method....clearance, etc.
  18. JMichael

The galvanized all is in excellent condition. No leaks and no rust visible anywhere. The house is 50 years old. Where would you branch off?
  19. JMichael

We bought a dual sink vanity to replace the single sink vanity in our master bathroom. The supply lines and drains line up perfectly with the middle section of the vanity which is for the drawers, so everything needs to be moved. I'm not even going to bother with the drain lines and will have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks