Search results

1. CollinLeon

Leaking copper pipe for outside wall exterior faucet

On one wall of this closet that is perpendicular to the exterior wall where the hose bib is located, there is a jacuzzi on the other side of it. There is a trimmed access panel there that has a door over it. When I open the door, there is just sheetrock, so apparently it has never been...
  2. CollinLeon

I am very positive that it is not from rain or my irrigation system. We have not had rain in awhile and my irrigation system has been off because of a leak on the manifold that I've been procrastinating fixing. This is on the back wall of the house, so there's a lot of places where lines could...
  3. CollinLeon

It's 1/2" copper and after I opened up the sheetrock on the back side of the hose bib, I could see everything. The hose big goes through the brick and is fed from the bottom by the 1/2" copper pipe. There are no other copper pipes coming to it or going from it. It goes straight down to the...
  4. CollinLeon

I do not think it originates in the attic. Or, if it does, it goes to the master bath and then branches off from one of the lines there and goes under the concrete to the hose bib. If that is the case, then it would mean cutting off water to everything in the master bath (2 sinks, a Jacuzzi...
  5. CollinLeon

I'm in the Houston area and the soil here has a high clay content. As such, digging it by hand is a real pain. :) The house is a concrete slab on grade with brick veneer, built by Perry Homes. I noticed the edge of the slab being damp the other day where the brick ledge is located and right...
  6. CollinLeon

kitchen "thru the wall" fan

At 27, he really should be getting his own place, but that's your problem, not ours... Wok cooking requires high heat and most traditional ranges will not provide enough heat to really do it right... The electric woks are a joke -- they don't even come close to providing enough heat... My...
  7. CollinLeon

How Do I Fix This Drywall Hole?

On small sheetrock patches, I'll cut the piece so that it is a few inches larger than the original hole and then cut everything away on the overlap except the outer paper. I will then cut the outer paper on the hole. This allows the sheetrock to act as its own joint tape. Works great on holes...
  8. CollinLeon

A Simple question.....Why is there more than one code for plumbing!

The problem with a lot of engineers is that they never have to work on the stuff that they design. On the other hand, one could argue that the committe of engineers who come up with the standards are those who are not actually designing anything anyway...
  9. CollinLeon

PEX Tubing Questions

Well, one school of thought is that the more connectors that you put in something, the more potential for problems. I suspect that this is one of the justifications for PEX, just like it was for polybutyl. Plus, it's easier to install, so instead of needing trained plumbers to do it, builders...
  10. CollinLeon

How Do I Fix This Drywall Hole?

Drywall does not have much structural integrity to start with and if you get it wet, it loses what little it had. As far as I'm concerned, if it gets wet, you replace it... It's not like you want to leave something up there that might be moldy, right? Rip out everything that has gotten wet and...
  11. CollinLeon

Room for a shower seat??

Personally, I prefer the monument type since I think it is easier to clean. I think it also looks more "high end" than something that is just hanging on a wall.
  12. CollinLeon

Composit Granite kitchen versus Stainless Steel kitchen sink?

I have had cast iron, brushed stainless steel, and the composite plastic type sinks in various houses that I've owned. The cast iron looks the best in my opinion, but from a maintenance standpoint, a brushed stainless steel is best. The cast iron just give you a feeling of permanence that you...
  13. CollinLeon

PEX Tubing Questions

Having owned a house that was built back when the polybutyl pipe was "the thing" and having spent many a day digging up my yard to repair leaks. Luckily, the only interior pipe in that house that was polybutyl was at the service entrance in the garage, so when it leaked, it was just an...
  14. CollinLeon

A Simple question.....Why is there more than one code for plumbing!

Of course, like most things these days, you can probably follow the money to see the reasons behind it... I suspect though that there could be logical reasons for different codes by different locales due to specific seismic or other conditions that they might have to be more concerned with than...
  15. CollinLeon

How to pour a lead plumbing joint.

OK, first of all, I'm not a plumber and I stumbled across this site while looking for some information concerning brazing of copper fuel lines, but I read this thread and I have a bit of an idea from at least a physics perspective on this... First of all, the joint between the two pieces of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks