Search results

1. Benze

Running out of hot water with a 60G tank

Yes - I installed the larger element on the bottom. Where would I aim the thermometer? The thermostats themselves don't particularly heat up to the touch. I'd love to be able to verify the exact water temp of the tank, but the only way I can imagine doing that would be to use the...
  2. Benze

Thanks for all the feedback. My WH is a Giant Cascade 60 (Model #172B-3F7M) from 2008. It is a bottom feed tank, with 2 ports - one for the inlet and one for the drain. My gravity recirc loop goes from the HW line under the sink (at the end of the line) to the drain port on the tank. I've...
  3. Benze

Can't say for they were both heating at the same time. I saw 220 on the bottom one and a few mins later 220 on the top one. Energized: 220V across terminals Yes, it is properly grounded
  4. Benze

Agreed... I was going the lazy way :-) I don't have a clamp meter handy and didn't want to wire up my multimeter to it so figured this would be a safe cheat. Presuming know the resistance and the voltage, amperage simple math. I just don't remember the resistance value. Yes; they were...
  5. Benze

Like I said, I do have hot water at the start. After a while (giving kids a bath, washing dishes, etc), it becomes warm. Too quickly for my taste, but it could well be that I've just drained too much hot water too quickly. I turned of the HW tank, detached the elements and tested their...
  6. Benze

I've got a 60G bottom feed electric hot water tank that recently seems to be running out of hot water sooner that I would have liked. It has 2 gravity feedback loops on it that normally work fine. I checked the elements and they are both working properly, so I suspect it is more a question of...
  7. Benze

How to plan for new master-shower?

Very cool site. Thanks! Had not seen/heard of it before. Eric
  8. Benze

I'm trying to plan out my renos with the least amount of destructive force to the rest of the house, although how feasible that will be, I'm not quite sure. I'll have to see about sprinkling the remaining part of the house because it is not an insignificant job, although I do agree that if it...
  9. Benze

Actually - not my call. From the feedback I've gotten from the city, it's a requirement for all new homes and/or extensions to homes to have fire suppression sprinklers added to any new construction. What sense that makes when just adding an extension or a floor is beyond me. So its great -...
  10. Benze

I'm not sure of my exact static pressure, but I believe it to be around 80psi. I need to double check. I don't expect it to change if/when forced to change my main as it would still be drawing from the same city main. Thanks for pointing out the outlet vs the valve. I had never really...
  11. Benze

Maximum distance for horizontal bathroom DWV?

That was pretty much my thought process and expectation as well. I had not considered the issue with the cleanout however. Does anyone know the requirements for max turns before a cleanout? (I realize that this will likely be governed by code, but just looking for a rough idea). Thanks, Eric
  12. Benze

Hi, My wife wants a new master-bathroom with a kick ass shower. ie: multi-head body sprays, ceiling mounted rain-head, pulsating jets, etc. (She had even tossed in the term steam but I think I may have convinced her out of that). At this point, I realize I am outside of my comfort zone...
  13. Benze

Maximum distance for horizontal bathroom DWV?

Hi, This may be code/region dependent, but I was wondering if there was a maximum length/distance (logically or otherwise) for a bathroom DWV line. I'm looking to add a half storey to the house, and where I want to locate my new master bathroom would cause some semi-significant demo work in...
  14. Benze

Any way to have a gravity recirc loop with a tankless water heater?

Why not use the heating elements in the tank to keep the heat in the tank constant, instead of refeeding it back to the tankless? Additionally, if refeeding it back to the tankless, it would likely have to tee into the cold water supply line (I assume with a check valve on the cold), hence...
  15. Benze

Interesting concept, although I don't really see how this "buffer" would work too well. In a standard setup (ie: no tankless involved), when I turn on a hot water faucet, the pressure from the incoming cold water into the tank pushes the hot water out. So my output pressure is directly related...
  16. Benze

Hi, I've got a 60gal hot water tank with a gravity recirc loop that is working well. My home currently has 3 full baths and 1 half-bath. I am now looking to add an extension to my home that will include a new master bath and an additional full bath. With 3 girls living in the house, I...
  17. Benze

Gravity recirc loop strange problem

Thanks for the info. I'm not 100% clear on your statement though; please let me know if I understood you right. If you have just the bathroom hot (nothing else in the house) running, it is hotter than if you are running the bthrm and kitchen and bathtub. Essentially, 2 different hot water...
  18. Benze

Do you have a valve on your return line that you can shut and see what kind of temp differential you get with or without it at the faucet? Thanks, Eric
  19. Benze

Ok - replumbed - again. This time put the check valve horizontal and rotated it a little (see picture). I put in a 2' level at the vertical to show the slope. The check valve allows water to flow from right to left (the arrow is on the back side with the tail on the right and the head on the...
  20. Benze

Thanks for the explanation. I added a picture to my above post indicating how I am set up around the HW tank. I had to replumb my pex a little to put the valve in at 45dev, but at least now I can put it level if really needed. Ideally, I would rather avoid drilling a hole in the flap and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks