Search results

1. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

This seems like great advice Rick, especially the part about determining outlets upstream from the UPS outlet. I'm fairly certain all the switches/lightning are on a different circuit from the outlets, so I shouldn't have any problems there. I've done lots of wiring so this shouldn't be a...
  2. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

Actually no, they are all registering varying amounts of voltage (neutral to ground)dependant upon load. I mistook the original .05vac as no load, thinking it might be an error with my multi-meter.
  3. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

I'm fairly certian the outlets are "backstabed", but I'd have to pull one to check for sure. The house and wiring is about 7-years-old. Edit: The outlets are definitely backstabbed and NOT wrapped. Isn't this typical procedure nowadays?
  4. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

Something new: I decided to check another circuit for nuetral to ground voltage with and without load. It measured .05vac with minimal load, and .125vac with more load. This seems consistant with the circuit with the UPS, in other words, more load more current across the nuetral/ground. I now...
  5. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

This is what the APC website has to say about the wire fault LED indicator. Not sure if this information is specific enough. I notice the "overloaded neutral wire" indicates a problem if there is >5vdc (not ac) detected. I tried to measure the voltage in dc, neutral to ground, and the...
  6. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

Thanks for the responce Jim I actually did call the UPS manufacture about this issue several weeks ago and they decided it was a defective unit, which they replaced. The new unit is sadly behaving the same. I measured the voltage between neutral and the ground as you suggested and it's...
  7. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

Thanks for the advice Rick I have several devices in the room running at the moment and the LED is glowing quite brightly. I checked the voltage (with my multi-meter) on several other outlets in the room and they are all averaging around 121v. The UPS also has a voltage-in meter built into...
  8. Mitch60

Possible wiring fault

I have an office with computer equipment and I use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to prevent damage to the equipment and prevent data loss. On the back of the UPS is an LED that indicates wiring faults in the building. This LED lights (indicating a fault) up when load increases and can be...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks