Search results

1. Speede541

Dripping Copper Union; O-Ring & Grease?

I have a 1-1/4" copper union outside that was leaking, just a minor drip. Searching the fine upstanding plumbing forums, some recommendations I saw were (1) apply plumbing grease to the threads & shoulder, (2) use pipe dope on the union face, or (3) insert what somebody referred to as a...
  2. Speede541

Expansion Tank End-Of-Line Question

I'm installing a second thermal expansion tank. This is for my fire sprinkler system. I'll have 100 feet of 1" copper in my attic, with a storage capacity of about 4 gallons, so am installing a 2 gallon Bell & Gossett PT-5 tank. The tank will be installed in the basement utility room stubbing...
  3. Speede541

I'm terrified of my CPVC...

...and am considering switching to PEX? About 8 years ago, I had a professionally installed and city-permitted / fire marshal-inspected CPVC fire sprinkler system (partial coverage) installed in my unfinished basement and upstairs kitchen. Since that time, I have expanded the system throughout...
  4. Speede541

Kohler K-303 diverter losing pressure to shower

A few years back I replumbed the shower using a Kohler K-303-K-NA 3-handle diverter valve. Pulling the center diverter knob has always resulted in a notable KLUNK noise, and water reliably flows to the shower head. Recently however I've lost pressure to a dribble. When I pull on the diverter...
  5. Speede541

Air bleed into a vent pipe? (wet vent question)

My question is related to a CPVC fire sprinkler system, but isn't directly related to the system operation. I intend to install a bleed valve in the attic, at the highest point in the system. It would be very convenient for me to pipe this laterally into a lav or washer/shower vent 15 feet...
  6. Speede541

domestic PRV, check valves, and fire sprinkler question...

Hope this question isn't too far out of field... I'll be installing a Pressure Regulating Valve on my domestic supply. One PRV I'm looking at is a combined check valve. I don't believe there's currently a check valve installed on my domestic supply. There IS a single check valve installed on...
  7. Speede541

Increase diameter to eliminate flow noise?

Ugh, water flow noise! We have a 1" copper supply line that enters the house and runs across a bedroom ceiling. It has four 90° turns then disappears through the wall to the next room. The pipe is suspended by the orange and blue neoprene isolators. The elbows are wrapped in foam insulation...
  8. Speede541

Left / Right Couplings & gas runs -- problems? gotchas?

Hey all, I just installed a left/right coupling mid-run on an existing 1-1/2 inch gas line, in order to tuck the pipe up into the ceiling, avoiding building a soffit. The system is currently under a 25 PSI test for the weekend, but everything went together well, and I don't expect any...
  9. Speede541

Floor drains below laundry, dishwasher, fridge?

Hey all, I have a dishwasher, laundry closet, and fridge upstairs, above a finished downstairs level. The walls are open, and before I close them, I have the opportunity to relatively easily install floor drains (plus proper venting and trap primers, of course) relatively easily. But I'm...
  10. Speede541

Brass Nipples vs. copper w/ sweated NPT fittings?

Once we're into the longer lengths of brass nipples for faucet connections, does it make more sense to just use copper pipe with NPT fittings sweated to the ends? Or is over-stressing the sweated connection in the wall (copper pipe to NPT fitting, threading into the drop ear) too big a risk...
  11. Speede541

Acoustolator clamps/isolators & PEX???

Today is my first foray into PEX for a hot water recirc loop. So far I've been using the orange and blue Acoustolator clamps with my copper installations. I understand that PEX is remarkably quieter than copper -- I think I read either 20 decibels or 20%? -- so I'm guessing these pricy clamps...
  12. Speede541

Abandoned line in wall; stagnant water a concern?

I'm installing a bunch of copper that serves current fixtures, but also runs to locations of planned fixtures. Nearly every current fixture will disappear, and the abandoned stub that I'll cap will stay connected to the branch line continuing on to the future fixture location. Under this...
  13. Speede541

15' branch to lav sink, 2 toilets: 1/2" sufficient?

I'm wondering if the water flow at a lavatory sink will be impacted if it shares a 1/2" copper branch also connected to two pressure-assisted low flow Gerber dual-flush toilets? I can pretty well guarantee at least one of those toilets will often be refilling when the faucet is used, and...
  14. Speede541

Separate Hot Water Systems for Lav sinks vs. Kit / Shower / DW / Laundry?

I really got sold on the idea of a switch-activated hot water loop, and it got me thinking about hot water system efficiency in general. I'll be installing an indirect hot water heater, fired off a boiler, and hopefully connected to hot water solar panels sometime down the road. But it also...
  15. Speede541

Expansion loop for exposed 2" copper drain line?

I'll be installing 20 feet of exposed 2" copper, connecting to a backyard sink. The copper is a straight horizontal run, except at the midpoint there's a short jog laterally followed by a short drop down, where it transitions from the retaining wall to along the house wall, then it...
  16. Speede541

Protection for "exposed" outdoor copper drain pipe?

I'm in the process of stubbing out a 2" copper drain connection that will eventually service a backyard BBQ sink. A portion of this connection will run horizontally across the base of a 10' section of patio retaining wall & flower bed, for all to see, so I figure I'll keep this part of it...
  17. Speede541

Minimum height requirement for a kitchen sink lateral drain?

Let me try to put my question in simple terms, because it's kind of convoluted and I can't post a sketch at the moment. Basically, is there any restriction against running a 2" kitchen sink drain line horizontally about 6 inches above the floor? The drain inlet will be set at a conventional...
  18. Speede541

Advice on **converting** a Toto Promenade to Right Flush

In our very compact half bath, I'm looking for an equally compact round bowl (26" depth + close wall spacing is a major attraction), ADA height, eco-type flush, right-hand flush lever. My choices are VERY limited in round bowls at ADA heights. They're seemingly non-existent for a right hand...
  19. Speede541

Can't find BernzOmatic Fat Boy yellow cylinders anywhere (16.9 oz)

Well, I shouldn't say "anywhere," but Home Depot, Orchard Supply, and local shops don't have the Fat Boy 16.9 ounce tanks on their shelves. I'm aware of a recall some months ago, but my impression is this was a deficiency in the bottle that has been corrected. BernzOmatic continues to show...
  20. Speede541

Cold Water Supply reduced to 3/4" before water heater...

Hi all, I'm making a last minute rerouting to my incoming copper water supply line prior to closing up the wall. The plumber who installed our water line ran 1" copper about 60 feet into the back of the house. Along the way, the 1" line hits the basement (ground floor in-law apartment) master...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks