Search results

1. rick112

Corrosion in newly installed water heater

With that type of compression fitting do you just keep tightening until the dripping stops? Hackney mentioned over tightening. Is is just a matter of feel?
  2. rick112

The flex connectors don't leak so I just leave it. Thanks.
  3. rick112

After the install there were a few drops that oozed from that join over a period of a couple days and then stopped. I specifically remember thinking I was going to have to redo the cold line if I saw and more water, but then is stopped on its own.
  4. rick112

Do you think I should re-do the flex connectors without the tape? Any thoughts on the corrosion? If it looks like that in 2 months, I'm wondering what it's going to look like in 2 years.
  5. rick112

Wow, thank you for pointing that out. I will replace with non-flammable insulation and appropriate sealer. The ells are part of the original plumbing. I chopped it and sanded back to shiny copper before installing the compression fitting.
  6. rick112

A couple of months ago I installed a Whirlpool Gas 40 gal. water heater and I'm getting some corrosion on both the hot and cold lines where the new brass compression fitting meet the old copper pipe. I checked with my multimeter, and both lines are firmly grounded. As you can see from the...
  7. rick112

Very noisy bathtub drain

For what it's worth, here's a zip file of the MP3 made. Yeah, I see a lot of complaints about slow draining vessel sinks. What about utility sinks and single basin kitchen sinks which don't have overflows, in your experience, do you find they tend to have problems with slow draining? I...
  8. rick112

Very noisy bathtub drain

I was wrong about the overflow not sucking air. I didn't cover the two holes that are tapped through it for the screws that hold the overflow cover plate. I tried again with the plastic film over the front and my thumbs over the 2 holes in back. With the overflow completely blocked, the gurgling...
  9. rick112

Very noisy bathtub drain

Yeah, I wanted to do 2", but the original 1 1/2" iron pipe was T'd into the closet bend which I didn't want to mess around with. I ended up cutting the old drain off 6" from the closet bend and using a banded coupling to attach the new PVC. I guess it could be a normal draining sound if you...
  10. rick112

Very noisy bathtub drain

It's a popping-gurgling sound. It seems to get louder as the water level gets lower. I made an MP3 recording of it but i can't upload it as an attachment. Also, the drop from the drain T to the bottom of the trap is 14". It doesn't sound like falling water to me though. It's not a spattering or...
  11. rick112

Very noisy bathtub drain

Hello, my name is Rick and this is my first major DIY project and my first post to this forum. I just installed a new bathtub as part of a full bathroom renovation. While draining the tub after a leak test I was surprised by the amount of noise coming out of the overflow opening. I did...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks