Search results

1. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

Ok. So do I need to worry about the resin that is "contaminated" (got bits of other stuff - tile grout, dirt etc.)? Should I just try to avoid that stuff?
  2. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

I presumed that after all this time it was probably tired - used up, and needed to be replaced. I thought that because it was a salmon-egg orange colour that that was an indication that it was worn out (Iron). As I've mentioned above I do still have it but the buckets I put it in weren't...
  3. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

Now you tell me... ;-) This is more of a voyage of discovery exercise than a "how can I replace my softener as inexpensively as possible." I have done the flex test with the distributor tube. I believe that it is sufficiently durable to go back in without being replaced. I have a funnel...
  4. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

Hi Skip. Thanks for the tip about he distributor tube. I'll do that. I'm sure I can get this all together if I can just get the right materials. My first problems are; where do I get this stuff and what stuff do I get. I don't really know where to get started. Any advice?
  5. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

Hi Wally. The softener was out of service when I bought the house. I plugged it in opened the valves and let 'er rip. The unit it's self appears to be about 25 years old. As near as I can determine it's all original. Nothing has ever been changed. You can see some photos of the unit from a...
  6. MiddleAgeSoftie

Replacing resin

Ok. I've done it. I've disassembled my water softener (cabinet model - see previous post here) cleaned it all out and removed the resin from the tank. It's a lovely orange colour (I don't think it's supposed to be that colour...is it?). Now I'm committed - I need new resin. What do I need...
  7. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

The pipe diameter I was referring to is the copper water pipes going from the house into the softener and from the softener back into the house rather than the distributor pipe going from the valve to the bottom of the tank (although that may also be 3/4").
  8. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

One more detail which, from my reading seems to be important is that the inside pipe diameter going into and out of the valve is 3/4"
  9. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

The red tag on the bottom of the valve body is a serial number. There is also a white tag beside the red tag. It says Injector #1 (the #1 is hand written) and Drain flow 2.5 GPM (Again the 2.5 is hand written). I've tried to measure the tank and it does appear to be 10# X 35". The...
  10. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

My water comes from the Glenmore treatment plant. Am I correct in concluding that my valve should be set for about 18gpg? I think that's the number that Gary suggested.
  11. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Thanks for this! With this tidbit and the link to the manual for my current valve which I've now learned is a fleck 5600 econominder, I should be able to set up my current valve properly. I haven't got a clue if it's set correctly right now (as shown in the photos) or not.
  12. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Thank you to all who have posted in response to my inquiries. Clearly there are differing opinions about what is "best". My sense of things based on what I've gleaned so far from this forum and from trolling the web is that the Clack and the Fleck are both in the best category of the good...
  13. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

The OP in this case (me... ;-)) would side with Gary on this one. I'm a tech guy to begin with. The more tech the better ;-) I've done some investigation of all of the valves mentioned in this post and I think I'm leaning toward the Clack valve that Gary has recommended. Based on other...
  14. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Here's a municiple website http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_526005_0_0_18/Water+Hardness+FAQ.htm with information regarding water hardness in Calgary. Is that good enough? Where would I go to get a water test? I'm a little unclear about which parts are which. Is...
  15. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Thanks for helping me out on this. Here's some photos; I think I follow the bit about replacing the rezin. I'd remove the valve. Remove the bolts which hold on the top, remove the cylindrical thing inside the unit and dump out the rezin (I'm presuming it's inside of there)...
  16. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Thank you for the feedback it has been helpful. It sounds like the consensus is that there are better choices than Northstar. Apart from Akpsdvan's suggestion of refitting the unit I have (I wouldn't even know where to begin with that... Sounds kind of like rebuilding a computer. That I could...
  17. MiddleAgeSoftie

Northstar water softener

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a good water softener to replace a very old unit which was in the house I recently bought. I think it's working... It looks very old, it's timer based and I can't be certain that it's set properly for my water conditions and usage patterns and if its...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks