Search results

1. sanaka

Soldering copper with dripping water.

I've found the beads too fragile to survive being pushed into the pipe. They break open and leak their goo all over your joint area - total lameness. Bread works fine as long as you plan a good place to eject it from afterwards. I believe Rigid makes a 'freezer blanket' that you wrap around...
  2. sanaka

Drain fly nightmare

Since the well cap is right outside the bathroom, and you've found lots of flies around the window, could they be breeding in the well and coming in around the margins of the window? It seems like if you tape over every drain in the bathroom, seal the window, go nuclear with bleach to achieve...
  3. sanaka

Cutting out countertops for sinks

1" maple (the usual wood for butcher block), or 1" of any wood really, should be no problem for a decent, properly set up jigsaw. It's about the right blade and knowing what you're doing.There are definitely junk jigsaws too. Bosch is a fine tool. When my 15 year old Bosch finally bit the dust...
  4. sanaka

Proper distribution for two houses & irrigation

Thanks Bob. My feeling, the reason I suggested case #2 in the first place, is that the current situation, case #1, could be seen as mistreatment of House 2, due to fluctuations from the irrigation, and especially the lack of backflow prevention. However, House 2 is, perhaps ignorantly...
  5. sanaka

FWIW I measured the static pressure at the main house's main cutoff this morning: 32 psi. Peace, Sanaka
  6. sanaka

Jimbo, I just reread your reply more closely. You said: Does this imply that in the case #1 drawing, pressure to the main house won't drop as much as in the case #2 drawing, under the same total gpm draw? Thanks! Peace, Sanaka
  7. sanaka

Thanks Bob and Gary. I have a pressure gauge, just haven't measured yet. The actual specific pressure figure is not that important given the obviousness of the pressure just being pretty low - care will have to be taken no matter the psi reading. What's basically happening is I'm arguing to...
  8. sanaka

I don't know the actual pressure. I haven't measured it. I'm estimating based on feel compared to a couple places whose pressure I've measured. I just know it's marginal. There's a storage tank/booster system on the land that could possibly be refurbished and used. I promise to address proper...
  9. sanaka

DWV testing and a thank you

There are also test plugs that are less sketchy than the balloons. They are like a fat rubber donut with a metal plate on top and a bolt that when cranked, expands the donut to seal in the pipe. Peace, Sanaka
  10. sanaka

Thanks Jimbo and Gary. The irrigation is on timed zones and programmed around house usage. Thanks for the tips on backflow prevention, I will bring that up with my friend as well. My main question is about whether House 2 having its 'own' line, which circumvents the irrigation system, as...
  11. sanaka

T0T0 Drake toilet product review

I feel I should add my kudos for the Toto Drake and this forum. This forum is where my toilet research ended and I ordered Toto Drakes for my new house. It's not finished, toilets are not installed yet, but I've bought or installed five other ones for other folks' renovations. They are indeed...
  12. sanaka

Hi. I'm helping a friend renovate a new house he just bought. It has extensive irrigated landscaping and we're upgrading the irrigation fixtures and piping. There is a second house on a CPR subdivided lot whose water is supplied via a sub-meter off the main house's supply. The current...
  13. sanaka

What is an anodeless riser?

Yeah. Good chance I won't be able to. Which is part of why I was wondering if these are required, or whether one can just use a normal transition fitting underground and wrap it. Peace, Sanaka
  14. sanaka

What is an anodeless riser?

I plan on running PE plastic gas pipe underground from LP tank to house. I was suprised to learn there is a specialized fitting just to make the turn from ground to surface. It seems to be some kind of metal jacketed plastic, which is exactly backwards from the plastic coated steel that must be...
  15. sanaka

Recommend best drain/overflow assembly for new tubs?

Well guess what. I got 4 touch toe, ABS D&O kits from Home Despot for $13 each. The brass drain part that you see in the tub seems substantial enough. The overflow plate is kinda cheezy chromed plastic, and the stopper mechanism is so-so. The ABS shoe and overflow elbow are, well... ABS, like...
  16. sanaka

Um, sorry if I violated forum policy by trying to link to an online plumbing supply seller... the forum software appears to have censored the URLs. Well, the gist is there. The good ABS D&O's w/ brass trims are ~$100. All your further comments appreciated. Thanks! Peace, Sanaka
  17. sanaka

Thanks for the replies and advice. I've been looking around. These look like nice brass tub D&O's. But $200 is multiples what I ever would have thought to spend on one (and I need four). And these (scroll down for sch. 40 ABS w/ brass trims) look like nice plastic ones. Again, more than I...
  18. sanaka

Flanges? Boy do we need Stinkin' flanges! ;)

hj wrote, in part: See lightbulb go on in Sanaka's brain. See Sanaka whap forehead with palm. D'oh! This solution (to both issues) is so obvious I just didn't think of it at all. I will look for such a flange. The ones I have, and am familiar with, have a regular hub in the bottom which...
  19. sanaka

I'm building a house and putting in four Lasco one-piece fiberglass tub/shower units. I just want the drain/overflow assemblies to be ultra reliable and worry free. Does a decent trip lever style one really exist? My experience is that the levers always get sticky and finicky and don't...
  20. sanaka

Flanges? Boy do we need Stinkin' flanges! ;)

Flanges seem to be a very poular topic around here, so here's my Q's, just to be in vogue ;) (and sorry if these have been addressed before, I did look before asking, but not real extensively). 1 - I'm bulding a new house. 1 bathroom is on a slab. My plumber said to wrap the stub at the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks