Search results

1. LAM

The Pressure Tank of Mystery

Mystery solved? It appears I have the Merrill C-1000 Frost-Free Hydrant of Mystery, rather than a tank problem. Yesterday I slapped a pressure gauge on the hydrant, located 100 feet downhill from the house, and let the system sit most of the day. Rather than the usual 5 PSI loss, the loss...
  2. LAM

NEW to the country and a well!! NO CLUE!!!HELP

I'll field the easy question: If your power goes down so does your electric well pump. Depending on your tank's capacity and how full it is when the power goes off, you may be able to use a bit of water for drinking, flushing, etc. Or install a backup generator. I have a mild iron problem and...
  3. LAM

Closing the individual valves overnight resulted in the same 5 PSI loss - in fact now it's 7 PSI. I'll run pressure tests on the two legs of the underground line; and since the well has an in-ground shutoff at the pitless adapter, just before a hydrant, it should assist in determining if the...
  4. LAM

ballvalve, shutting off the individual valves is on the list for tonight, before I hit the sack. That way the system can sit for 6- 8 hours. I'd bet there isn't an internal leak but that would be preferable to a buried pipe leak. I'm not too concerned about the failed shutoff valve other than 6...
  5. LAM

That didn't take long. Filled the tank, shut off power to the pump, closed the well-side valve opened the hydrant and allowed the water in the line to run out. It came out at about 1 gpm and didn't stop - i.e., the tank was draining even with the shutoff valve closed. So the 6-year-old valve...
  6. LAM

It's not temperature change. The tank is in a finished, conditioned basement room that stays exactly 65 degrees 24/7, Oct-April, and doesn't exceed 69 the rest of the year. The house is ICF construction and the temp doesn't fluctuate. The tank appears to lose about 1 PSI per hour when full and...
  7. LAM

I ran the water line... no prior experience but that's never stopped me. A neighbor crawled down the hill in his Case 580 and then we dropped in the line without rock. An air test makes a great deal of sense, pitless to tank. This is a very helpful website.
  8. LAM

Thanks Akpsdvan. There are no check valves and I think the well goes through 30 feet of stiff clay with a 6" steel casing before entering rock. But I'll check the soil above the pitless adapter to see if it appears to have dropped. I don't believe the water pressure gauge is at fault but...
  9. LAM

Thanks, Tuffy. I came to the same conclusion: a leak in the buried water line, drop pipe or pump valve ... in addition to leaky shutoff valves. I don't know what else makes sense. This morning I filled the pressure tank, closed both valves -- and 8 hours later I get the same tired result: a...
  10. LAM

I'm aware that Flotec isn't the tank of choice, but until I have the need to replace this tank it's what I have. It's an 85 gallon FP1730 and can be isolated from the well and the house plumbing with shutoff valves on either side of the tank tee. The pressure tank/switch is located in a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks