Search results

1. Jvstevens

Looking for Faucet Supply Tubes for old A.S. Stop Valve

A few years ago, I was replacing a kitchen faucet, and I decided to replace the hot and cold supply tubes. However, none of the standard sizes (3/8" comp, 7/16" comp, 1/2" comp, 1/2" FIP) available at my local hardware store would thread onto the stop valve (which was original to the building...
  2. Jvstevens

Repairing a cracked ABS drain fitting with sealant?

I'm dealing with a 1.5"ABS fitting in a crawl space for a bath sink drain that has a small crack in it that is allowing a bit of water to leak out. Under normal circumstances, I would cut out the offending fitting and rebuild it all with new fittings, but its in a tricky spot with multiple...
  3. Jvstevens

Check Valve in Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe?

(I originally posted this in the Drain Cleaning forum, but I think now it is a more appropriate question for this forum) I encountered a pretty slow kitchen sink drain today, so I decided to remove the trap for cleaning, and to gain better access to snaking the drain downstream, if needed. The...
  4. Jvstevens

Check Valve in Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe

I encountered a pretty slow kitchen sink drain today, so I decided to remove the trap for cleaning, and to gain better access to snaking the drain downstream, if needed. The drain pipe (1.5" ABS) went through the right side wall of the sink cabinet and into an unused volume of the adjacent...
  5. Jvstevens

Washing Machine Shut-Off Valves are stuck ON

Both the hot and cold shut-off valves to the washing machine won't turn off. Not too surprising as they haven't been touched for many years now. It would be nice to have them easily operable in the event of a washing machine hose failure, machine replacement, etc. Not sure what model these...
  6. Jvstevens

Need help identifying this Pegasus Kitchen Faucet

This faucet has a leak in the pullout hose, so I need a replacement hose. It seems to be a discontinued model, and I've not been able to find this model anywhere, despite spending a lot of time on google image searches, etc. I called Pegasus's customer service number (not easy to find) for...
  7. Jvstevens

Is this Grohe leaky tub spout diverter repairable??

I know that generally its necessary to replace a tub spout when the diverter has stopped doing its job (that is, water coming out of both the spout and showerhead at the same time). I don't mind so much for a generic, cheapo spout, but this one is a fairly pricey one by Grohe. Can this be...
  8. Jvstevens

Two leaks in Hardie Irrigation Valves

I have an irrigation valve box (containing 4 Hardie in-line valves) that has filled with water indicating a leak, so I bailed out the water and dug out the mud and have discovered two leak sources. The first one is leakage from around the stem of the flow control valve on valve #3. When I...
  9. Jvstevens

Removing caulk stain on granite

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but hopefully someone can help me out here. Recently, I applied some GE Silicone II clear caulk to the seam between a granite vanity countertop and its backsplash (same type of granite). I came back after a few hours, and realized that the...
  10. Jvstevens

Need help identifying shower valve (leaks)

Anyone hazard a guess as to the make and model of this shower valve? Kind of an odd one. Even the local plumbing shop couldn't tell from the photo. A virtual beer goes to the guy/gal with the correct answer!
  11. Jvstevens

Having Trouble Removing Vanity Sink Altmans Faucet Flange

I am in the process of replacing both cartridges on a widespread vanity faucet made by Altmans. With much effort, I finally was able to unscrew the flange (or escutcheon?...not sure of the correct terminology here) on the cold side and replace the cartridge. I have not been able to unscrew the...
  12. Jvstevens

Need new remote control kit for Hunter Fan

I recently installed a nice looking Hunter fan/light. It came with a remote control transmitter/receiver in the box. It works fine, except that the fan and light come on by themselves randomly at all hours of the day and night. At first I thought perhaps one of my neighbors in my condo has a...
  13. Jvstevens

Kohler toilet flushing problem on San Raphael one-piece

I replaced a leaky fill valve and worn flapper valve on a Kohler San Raphael one-piece toilet last week. After doing this, I couldn't seem to get the toilet to flush properly. The water would just swirl a long time in the bowl and then maybe (not always) go down at the very end. For a long...
  14. Jvstevens

Scorched space heater outlet

This might be a dumb question, but what is the technical explanation as to why an electric space heater (two prong) plugged into an outlet (also two prong) would cause the heater plug and outlet itself to show signs of overheating? That is, the heater plug shows signs of slight melting of the...
  15. Jvstevens

Sewer smell from laundry room

Every so often, the tenant for my rental reports a bad sewer smell in the laundry room. The laundry room has a utility sink that has its own trap directly beneath it, and there is also a galvanized washing machine drain pipe (exposed...not hidden in the wall) that has its own trap as well. The...
  16. Jvstevens

Toilet Floor Flange Problem

I am in the process of replacing the vinyl floor in my bathroom, as the old one was stained around the toilet base, which made me think there was water seepage from the toilet. I removed the toilet and started peeling off the old vinyl and expected to see moisture between the vinyl and concrete...
  17. Jvstevens

Outdoor Fountain Pump Electrical Service

I'm thinking of putting in a simple garden fountain with a plug-in 120 VAC pump in my backyard. The current plan is for the fountain to be about 10 feet from the nearest outlet at the house. Its simple mulch and plants on the ground between the fountain and the house. Just wondering what the...
  18. Jvstevens

50 amp breaker for kitchen appliances

I have a rental property that has a 50 amp 220 VAC circuit that supplies power for both an electric cooktop and wall oven. I would like to replace both appliances with new ones. The cooktop I have in mind requires a 30 amp breaker per the specs. For the wall oven, I would like to install an...
  19. Jvstevens

Fill Valve Recomendation for Low H2O pressure

Hi all, I'm part owner of a remote family cabin in the Sierras that gets its water (indoor plumbing) via a 1.5" pipe that goes up a steep hill behind the cabin about 40 to 50 ft or so and connects to a pipe inlet at the base of a a small homemade concrete dam. We have used this setup for...
  20. Jvstevens

Leaking at supply tube coupling

I installed 2 new bath sink faucets, but since the shanks on the new faucet are shorter than the old faucets, the existing supply tubes are not long enough. And unfortunately, the existing supply tubes are "beaded" ("spiral" or "corrugated"...not sure of the correct terminology) flexible copper...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks