Search results

1. mjsmith0

Hole size retrictions for blocking between floor joists?

I see that building code requires solid blocking between floor joists to prevent lateral retraint, but the darn thing is in the way. Okay if I blow a hole in it for my drain pipe? I figure the answer is yes, but if I can't I would rather find out now than when the inspector gets here...
  2. mjsmith0

Replacing Shower Valve Seat

Thanks for the advice and I will get to work on trimming those bolts!
  3. mjsmith0

Replacing Shower Valve Seat

I was removing a shower valve to replace the washer, but when I removed it I was surprised to see that the valve seat came along for the ride. The valve seat has a nick in it that apparently dug into the washer which allowed it to unscrew as I was removing the valve. At first I was cursing...
  4. mjsmith0

Proper fitting question

I'm just a DIY'r but ran into a similar problem. Would this solution work for you? It's a longer route to the main drain and you need enough vertical room for the added slope, but at least there is no flat venting.
  5. mjsmith0

I found this Visual Guide to Plumbing very helpful

Thanks for posting. What a great reference. Wish I had this 4 months ago!
  6. mjsmith0

Prime floor drain trap from standpipe?

Thanks HJ, I'm going to try to this trap seal primer widget to see if I can get it to work. According to the supplier it should be "easy to install"...
  7. mjsmith0

Thank Terry, I didn't think about the suds and totally makes sense. I think these are the fittings you are talking about. Another idea I had is to use the shower drain that is about 4 feet away to prime the floor drain. Should be a lot less suds anyway.
  8. mjsmith0

I'm adding a laundry room upstairs, and thought it would be a good idea to add a floor drain. I bought a trap seal primer, but I understand they can be a pain to get working and maintain. I'm considering priming the trap from the washer standpipe, but not sure if this would satisfy code in my...
  9. mjsmith0

Wet venting shower through the lavatory - look okay?

Oh, I got it now. I think I need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to get this to work in the space I have. Thanks!
  10. mjsmith0

Thanks Krow. I wonder if that is the right way to go under UPC? I know that is says that vents my connect above the centerline of the drain, but I'm not sure that applies to wet vents or not. In the appendix there is a description of battery vents that require that the connection be...
  11. mjsmith0

Thanks for the advice. I will try to simplify, but this seems to be about as direct as I can get. The vertical drain is around the corner, and other side of the wall from the sink is a stairwell leading downstairs, so I can't cut across that corner. I mocked up how the framing around the...
  12. mjsmith0

I think I figured out how wet venting works, but thought I should check with the pros first. Does the wet vented portion look proper? (The sink trap will be higher and the shower drain will be a little farther away.) I sketched in where the water closet drain connects to the drain stack just...
  13. mjsmith0

Is this water closet drain vented properly?

If the water closet distance is unlimited, can I do something like this. (This is a picture that show more or less how the whole system is designed.)
  14. mjsmith0

One last try Here is a variation on that design that would fit in the space I have. It is somewhat like the design I found on DIY site I showed above, but with a twist (literally!) I wonder if its too much of a pretzel? Thanks everyone for your patience and help while I try to figure this out!
  15. mjsmith0

Another idea How about this? Would this work and pass inspection? (The sanitary tee is rotated 45 degrees around the horizontal.)
  16. mjsmith0

Gotcha. It makes sense to me now. Probably should have realized that before. Thanks!
  17. mjsmith0

Darn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for saving me from a big mistake. I got the idea of venting it this way from the a DIY webpage: http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/bathroom/drain-vent-lines/ I guess it's wrong? Mary
  18. mjsmith0

Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing for my water closet. (One is dry fit and the other shows it installed). Does this look like it's vented this properly? (The vent pipe will extend 4-5' farther up before it turns.) Thanks in advance!
  19. mjsmith0

HERS Test required when replacing furnace?

I just paid $5K to replace my broke down furnace with a new high efficiency model. Now the contractor is saying that in order for the inspector to pass the inspection, I need to pay $250 for a HERS test to make sure the old ducts don't leak. I'm confused because I was at home when the...
  20. mjsmith0

Okay to use a WYE tilted 45 degrees from horizontal?

Thanks, I think I will try to stay away from the goofy stuff! A washing machine drains above the W/C, and a shower drains above that with a vent coming out the top of the stack. I figured a different way to route the drain from the W/C & Lavatory, though I will need to make the soffit a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks