Search results

1. Jetlag

vanity clearance

Im adding a bath vanity in an existing corner, I plan to build a 4 ft high wall on the other side out 36 " from wall , should I leave enough clearence to clear the vanity top (31") and fill in the 1/2 " on each side of vanity with wood strip or should I leave only room for vanity 30" and saw off...
  2. Jetlag

Updating Bathroom Circuits to 20 amp

people run the multiwire brance circuit to kitchen counter GFCI all the time , with half the recepts on each hot leg . Only 2 GFCI s are used with the others fed from the load sides. There is not enough induction to trip the GFCI .
  3. Jetlag

Updating Bathroom Circuits to 20 amp

You can share the neutral that way , its called a multiwire branch circuit 2008 NEC 210.4 . You have to be be sure you use a 220/240 double breaker, you can not use a piggy back breaker in which 2 breakers are made together to go on a single lug. If you use that , it will over load the neutral...
  4. Jetlag

Newbie electrical switching question

He wont care then . he wants it to stay on after the christmas lights are down , he will just leave the switch on , he will only turn off while the lights are up so not run continuous.
  5. Jetlag

Am I missing something , If you install a jumper between the hot in and hot out on a timer it is the same as if the timer is not even there , the fact that a switch is in the jumper , returns it to as if the jumper is not there when the switch is off . Unless it is an electronic timer the...
  6. Jetlag

Grounding I beams on doublewide

I forgot to say they used a GFCI receptacle in the pump house and protected the light with the GFCI feed out terminals . As far the power co neutral it is grounded at the meter or disconnect to the ground rod . Same as the panel at pump house .
  7. Jetlag

I never said I would do it but connected that way the bare ground becomes the grounded conductor back to the house panel . As far as it not being insulated their argument was the power co wraps their hots around the bare messenger wire which is grounded current carrying conductor .
  8. Jetlag

Need advice on wiring sump pump outlet for emergency generator / 220v split to(2)120v

You can use one of the hots on the cable you have for one GFCI and only connect to one hot neutral and ground in the inlet . I just didnt figure you would want to waste the other hot on the 220 . why dont you run another recep from the inlet box somewhere else and connect it to the other hot ...
  9. Jetlag

If you have the power coming in to a lighting outlet , you can no longer run a 14/2 or 12/2 switch leg down to the switch , you must run 12/3 or 14/3 and leave an unused neutral in the switch box . I know what you mean on the pump houses 10/2 w/g was all all people used to use . I ve seen...
  10. Jetlag

Oh I forgot , if the wirng is 20 amp , #12 wire and it probaby is , you would have to use a 120 volt 20 amp heavy duty switch , not a common 15 amp . You can dertermine the circuit by seeing if the breaker is 15 or 20 amp
  11. Jetlag

A lot of timers have an on position that overides the timer . You could look into changing it out . Or if you can get another cable the same size as the others (#14 or #12 ) into the timer . If you are lucky the screws on the timer are made to put a wire on both sides and you can add one of the...
  12. Jetlag

220v to 110v

Wont scream on that one but he must use a 240 volt 20 amp double breaker in the panel to feed the shared neutral multiwire branch circuit . Even though he will be connecting 2 - 120 v circuits . Set a j box in the closet to tie in the 2 #12 cables to hot tub cable , But you must leave the j...
  13. Jetlag

Here is one for you to chew on , in 2011 code every switch box in a house must contain a neutral wire , no matter if it is needed or not . Reason , so if a DIY needs a neutral for some thing later, he wont tie into the bare ground and use it for a neutral .
  14. Jetlag

Need advice on wiring sump pump outlet for emergency generator / 220v split to(2)120v

Only the lucky ones that could afford keroseen in Hoover days
  15. Jetlag

Doesnt matter if lights and frig are there , all receptacle outlets in unfinished basement , garage , or crawl space must be GFCI . Does not matter if it is wet or damp , it can be dry as a bone . Some of the parents didnt survive , because of electrocution . If the gfci has saved poeple , it...
  16. Jetlag

Which Cutoff Tool Should I Purchase for...

I hope you know what a nightmare that is and also hope it is not a large area you are doing , a battery tool wont run long enough without charge for a job this hard . all you can do is use a sawsall with short wood blade to get close as you can to wall but it is best to just break the...
  17. Jetlag

A 240 is allowed to be ran this way and is called a multiwire branch circuit , you wind up with two circuit that share a neutral , the neutral only carries the unbalanced load , if both loads are exactly the same , there will be no current in the neutral . like one of the posts said if the 240...
  18. Jetlag

I like the heavy duty prongs on that plug , most of the fires here are caused by a receptacle that is no longer tight on the prongs of the plug , they get by until some leaves a portable floor heater on , pulling 16 amp , the arc and poor connecting overheats and catches the conductors on fire .
  19. Jetlag

I had a regular customer that a lot of mobile homes in what I called a religious compound of some kind . On one of the mobile homes they wanted an electric water heater installed instead of the gas . They warned me people that go under it have complained of getting shocked by the frame . I told...
  20. Jetlag

Help! New breaker turns off power to other breakers

If you had both red and black on one lug at the heater and red and black on the two breaker lugs , the 240 breaker would not turn on it would trip when you tried , one question is this a GE panel ? if so post reply
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks