Search results

1. VTXdude

Vacuum relief on cold water feed?

I can't remember what it is called but usually on the cold water feed to the water heater there is an extra brass piece that I think the plumber said is a vacuum relief something or other. When he put in the new water heater he said that they were no longer required. It was attached right...
  2. VTXdude

What pressure should a thermal expansion tank be at?

When the plumber put in the the BW water heater he set it at 60 psi...said it was at 30 psi.... Is there a set standard at what it should be set at? Id PSI is too high what does that affect? Thanks PS the expansion tank is mounted upside down if that matters. See here for...
  3. VTXdude

Bradford White, You have got to be kidding me :(

Guys just noticed this on my new Bradford White Water Heater... look at the baffle collar...it looks like the flue pipe is not centered with the cover of the heater....when it ws fired up I noticed some condensation forming at the front of the collar...when I took a closer look I saw that the...
  4. VTXdude

Bradford White Icon Defender installed

Plumber came over today and ripped out the Kenmore WH and put in the Bradford White. So far so good...first thing I noticed was it was a LOT quieter than the Kenmore. He also redid the gas line from copper to black iron. He ran new copper from the top of the heater back a bit. I...
  5. VTXdude

Lennox furnace burner box not 100% sealed

Everything I have ever read says that these burner boxes should be sealed 100% Look at the pics here...I've been wondering why I have gotten a gas whiff when opening the front cover..have had the gas company in here and with their sniffer it reads 0.025 which they say is hardly even worth...
  6. VTXdude

Knocking noise at water meter when washing machine is filling

My water meter is in the garage...when I turn a faucet on the little dial spins and little if no noise...when the washing machine is filling it make s knocking noise that you can hear in each bathroom etc... I recently fastened down the copper that went from the water heater to the washing...
  7. VTXdude

My burner flame in Kenmore Power Miser 9

I have uploaded a video of my burner flame to You Tube.....does this flame look normal? If you notice on the right the flame is taller and reaching up...it is hard to see but the flame is actually being drawn up into the flue......is this normal? I would think that the burner flame should be...
  8. VTXdude

Bradfor White being installed next week...if in market for WH avoid SEARS!!

Bradford White being installed next week...if in market for WH avoid SEARS!! A plumber that I trust will be coming over next week to install a Bradford White Short 40 gallon natural gas water heater and will be removing the Kenmore and putting it in my garage until Sears (hopefully) comes to...
  9. VTXdude

Please answer these questions best you can

Guys, I know I have become the resident pita but I have these questions I'm hoping that can be answered 1) Does it make a difference drafting wise if the draft hood is not perfectly centered over the flue on WH? 2) Should the draft hood get hot to the touch? Also should the connecting...
  10. VTXdude

Hi guys another question.........

Ok new pipes put in....rise is a bit shorter than before of tank..maybe by an inch...because of space limitations with thicker Type B.... In any event the bad smell is gone as it looks like it was the adhesive...new issue now is that my cold water pipe heats up now whenever the burner kicks in...
  11. VTXdude

Bradford White FVIR question

Instead of having just the small screen on the underside of the tank for air intake like the Smith/State/Whirpool etc have, does the Bradford White have the entire bottom open to accept air intake (I know it gets air from grates on side of heater but was wondering if when it actually goes in...
  12. VTXdude

Any issue using Type B vent pipe from water heater back to chimney?

Is there any issue using Type B ventpipe as far as drafting or venting? Will it draft as well as single wall? Reason is my run to the chimney runs real close to combustibles...they will be replacing the single wall that is coated with adhesive from foil tape and also the fire caulking...we are...
  13. VTXdude

Need advice on Bradford White vs Kenmore

Hi..I'm sure a lot of you have seen my postings on the trouble I am having with the Kenmore Power Miser 9 I had installed about a month ago. Based on some of the things I have read maybe some of the issues I'm having may have not happened with a Bradford White.... Is the secondary air intake...
  14. VTXdude

Slight gas odor from Lennox furnace

Model # is C26-21-1 I had the cover off of the furnace today and thought I caught a whiff of natural gas...not overpowering and only detectable if I stuck my face right up at a certain place in the furnace..it is not spread to the cellar and doesnt seem to be growing Take a look at this...
  15. VTXdude

What are some of the drawbacks of switching over from gas WH to Electric?

Since my issue with venting of my gas water heater does not seem to be able to be solved by plumbers who have looked at it I am thinking seriously of switching over from gas to electric. Other than the obvious rise in my electric bill, is there any drawbacks? Can I swap a 40 gallon gas with a...
  16. VTXdude

Hmmm waterheater venting ok but still getting exhaust/combustion smell in cellar?

Well the HVAC guys came over and they fixed best they could the mess that the Sears plumber did on the venting...gave me much more vertical lift on the horizontal run and fixed where he had just thrown the 4 inch pipe over the 3 inch pipe(see my other thread jeeesh) It isn't pretty by any...
  17. VTXdude

How tight is too tight?

I recently had 2 toilets, Cadet 3's installed. The tanks were a bit wobbly so I decided to tighten them up a bit..I did so and now they lean forward ever so slightly but not that you can see with the eye. I took a look inside the tank and noticed that when flushed the black gasket that is...
  18. VTXdude

Please look i need expert advice quick!!!

Please look I need expert advice quick!!!! I'm sorry guys I'm not trying to be a whiner here but after this other plumber installed the 4 inch vent I am scared to death... How hot should Type B pipe get??? All of a sudden after this plumber installed 4 inch pipe my Tee and chimney feed...
  19. VTXdude

Just discovered dent in new water heater &^%$#

This whole experience has been a nightmare.....look at these pics...do I have a gripe with Sears? Should I demand that they replace it? If so this would be my third water heater from them this month. There is also a crease a bit higher up....at the bottom of the blue band it is bent down...
  20. VTXdude

Negative air pressure?

When my furnace is running it is creating a draft that is strong enough to close my cellar door if I close it to about and inch or so...the systems is a Lennox 26-21-1 and is a high efficiency furnace The draft is so strong that it is sucking cold air down my water heater flue and if the WH...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks