Search results

1. oldberkeley

Having trouble installing garbage disposal:

New disposal in new sink. Got everything in OK up to here. Last couple of steps: "Hang disposer by aligning 3 mounting tabs with slide-up ramps on mounting ring. Turn mounting ring until all 3 mounting tabs lock over the ridges on the slide-up ramps." Just can't get the 3 tabs to engage! Very...
  2. oldberkeley

Countertop guys screwed up sink install!

Countertop installation crew in our new kitchen yesterday, installed quartz countertops. Everything OK except for the undermount sink. Completely skewed, WAY different-size border on all four edges. My wife did not notice it until this morning. We are calling the company this morning. I know...
  3. oldberkeley

A few very basic disposal install questions:

1. After the disposal is hung and all three mounting tabs are locked over the ridges on the slide-up ramps, can the disposal still be rotated into the proper position? Or does that have to be determined beforehand? 2. Can the dishwasher high drain loop be mounted on the back of the sink cabinet...
  4. oldberkeley

Installing a new sink and garbage disposal:

I’m replacing my old kitchen cabinet, the sink and faucet. The new sink is a single bowl with a garbage disposal. The drain is a floor drain through the cabinet bottom, at the very back of the cabinet, offset a few inches to the right. There is an existing vent coming in at the upper back...
  5. oldberkeley

Installing new dishwasher

About the holes in the base cabinet side (supply, drain, corded plug to outlet in sink cabinet): one hole, two, three? TIA.
  6. oldberkeley

Do I have the correct type of cable?

Installing a new Leviton 50A surface mount outlet for a range. Went to a local electrical supply place, got 8/3 W/G NM-B. Did not realize until today that except for the ground, the other 3 wires are stranded rather than solid. Is this the norm? Will it work? The outlet says "wire size range...
  7. oldberkeley

Re Leviton 50A Surface Mount Outlet:

Need to mount this on the wall in back of a new electric range. I'm planning on running the cable through the drywall and through the rear knockout. GE says to install it horizontally. Two questions: 1. It seems to me that it should be mounted very firmly. I don't see how I can attach it to...
  8. oldberkeley

New question, kitchen remodel, using existing cable:

I'm replacing all the appliances, the cabinets, other stuff in a small 1950's-era kitchen. The basement ceiling is rather "crowded" with cables, plumbing, etc., so I'm trying--when safe--to re-use some of the cable runs from the updated panel to the kitchen. The existing cooktop has a 10-3 NM...
  9. oldberkeley

Kitchen Remodel Electrical Question:

I'd like to have the garbage disposer and the dishwasher plug in to a receptacle under the sink. The garbage disposal would be switched (next to the sink) and the dishwasher would be on a GFCI (which I think is now code.) Can these two appliances share one dedicated 20 amp circuit? If so, how...
  10. oldberkeley

Bathroom exhaust fan problem: NuTone 9093WH

I have a newer NuTone 9093WH circular fan/heater/light. When the heater is not on, cold air pours through the vent into the bathroom. How can I fix this? TIA
  11. oldberkeley

General Contractor's plumber: Is this correct?

I have a GC doing a small addition, bedroom and bath. His work is OK (just OK), but I'm just a bit worried about his plumber. I'm going to get the terminology wrong here, but I'll try. To the back left of the toilet flange, the cold water supply pipe coming up vertically from the crawl space...
  12. oldberkeley

Question about closet flange:

A contractor is building a small addition on my house. His plumber has installed an Oatey Easy Tap Flange in the bathroom sub floor. It looks VERY flimsy to me! Are they standard? will it hold up over time? How much trouble would it be to replace it at this stage?
  13. oldberkeley

Apologize in advance, common question: gas water heaters

I realize that many retail stores are selling the same water heater with a different label (very confusing for consumers!) Anyway, is the GE 40 gal., tall, 36,000 BTU sold at Home Depot (Model#6G40T06AVG01) the same product as the Richmond with the same specs (Model#6G4036F1)? And if so, is it...
  14. oldberkeley

Still struggling to find shower leak:

I removed the shower head and capped the shower pipe stem with a threaded cap. Turned on the water, left it for 15 minutes, no leak in the basement. Question: Can I now safely assume that the leak is not in the pipes behind the wall? TIA.
  15. oldberkeley

Leak in 1958 shower enclosure:

I have a custom built 1958 ranch with an unfinished basement, it's easy to work on the main floor plumbing. Everything in the house was built very solidly by great craftsmen; I've done plenty of updating but sometimes I realize that I can't duplicate the level of workmanship that was done, and I...
  16. oldberkeley

Drier Vent Question:

I feel a bit silly asking about this, but don't know where else to turn! We have a 1958 ranch house, bought it from the original owners who also designed it. Most things are fine except the basement has the finished family room in the back part and the utility area in the front (I would have...
  17. oldberkeley

Installing Kohler sliding glass shower door:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I need to drill 6 holes, 3 in each side jamb, into new, very hard porcelain tile. Diamond bits are expensive, just a DIY'er here! Considering drilling 3 new holes in each jamb, to line up with the grout...
  18. oldberkeley

Brand new Moen Posi-Temp Tub & Shower Valve, Model 2300:

Turn on, works fine. Turn off, constant drip from tub spout. Help appreciated, thanks in advance.
  19. oldberkeley

Toilet installation repair:

1958 house, a lot original, some remodeled. Existing toilet leaking around base. Removed. Found that the tiile was laid higher than brass flange, which is broken probably due to too much torque on screws. Two wax rings installed to "fix" problem. Removed everything. Subfloor seems OK...
  20. oldberkeley

Change Vanity Plumbing:

Replacing old vanity, need to move the plumbing about 18" to the left (blue tape.) I'm OK with the hot & cold supply, seems to be fairly straightforward. Not sure what to do about the drain????? TIA.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks