Search results

1. jaheinzel

Hot water heat pipe layout question

Thanks, just wanted to makes sure that was correct.
  2. jaheinzel

Hot water heat pipe layout question

We had two rooms in our upstairs with baseboard heat. We remodeled another room and asked the contractor to add baseboard to this room. The feed and return lines come up into the knee-wall attic and feed the upstairs from there. Here is a drawing of how the pipes ran before and after. My...
  3. jaheinzel

Shut off valve question

Well I can agree that there are plenty of "hack jobs" on this house. It's 102 years old and has only had two owners, the builder and his daughter. That "shutoff" is right between and elbow and a union. I could always pull it and replace it. The reason I'm not thinking of doing that is the whole...
  4. jaheinzel

Shut off valve question

Worked great thanks!
  5. jaheinzel

Shut off valve question

Thanks I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Sorry dlarrivee, this is for my boiler's water lines, not gas, probably should have said that.
  6. jaheinzel

Shut off valve question

So what about the nut on the "back"? I thought I heard someone say something about both sides needing to be turned, but I could be wrong.
  7. jaheinzel

Shut off valve question

I have an old shut off valve in my system and I'm not exactly sure how it works and don't want to force something the wrong way and break it. This is a picture of the front and back of the valve. The back side is threaded and the front looks like it can be turned, but I think you have to do...
  8. jaheinzel

Little to no heat upstairs

The stat was set low when I did this, so I turned it up and waited a bit. When I checked both pipes in my bedroom (upstairs bedroom 3) were hot. When I get home later tonight I'm going to check the return in the attic and see if it's now hot.
  9. jaheinzel

Ok, I put a small hose on the drain, shut off the return to the boiler and opened the drain, it took a few seconds for water to come out and then I let it run until the bucket was full, shut the drain off, opened up the return and dumped the bucket. I guess I'll see if that makes a difference...
  10. jaheinzel

Yeah I didn't put the return on the diagram, sorry about that. Right where the water comes upstairs there are shutoffs on both the feed and return that feed the problem area. That's where the drains are also. I see what you mean about the bed 3 convector. Let me go up into the attic and see how...
  11. jaheinzel

The diagram is accurate as far as how the water flows out of the boiler and where it splits etc. I could label each of the lines with what type/size pipe is in there. The drains I'm talking about are actually in the kneewall attic upstairs so I can see what I can get out of those today and see...
  12. jaheinzel

I have bled the radiator in Upstairs Room 1. I'm not sure how you bleed the convectors in the other rooms. There is a drain on both the supply and return sides of that loop upstairs, could I do it from the return side drain?
  13. jaheinzel

I have a hot water boiler system in my house. Overall the house is nice and warm. Upstairs Bedroom 1 has a nice big old cast radiator with a line coming pretty much straight up from the boiler to feed it. That room is fine. The rooms that are not warm are highlighted in dark blue. They all have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks