Search results

1. JeffeVerde

Sewer gas in bathroom when attic fan is on. Found a dead critter

I'm suddenly smelling sewer gas in a bathroom when the attic fan is on, and I can't figure out the source (and yes, I flushed :p ). We use the attic fan daily, and the smell just started today. Turn the attic fan on, and you get the sewer gas within a minute or two. Turn the fan off, and once...
  2. JeffeVerde

Slide out sink - drain connection?

One wall of my garage abuts a dead space under a stair landing and I want to make use of that space to install a utility sink (there's easy access to drain, vent and water in this dead space). I could open the wall and frame a niche for the sink -- but that would make the sink awkward to use...
  3. JeffeVerde

Roughing in PE gas line before landscaping

New house, bare dirt back yard, and we have future plans for a BBQ and fire pit. I want to lay the PE gas line while I'm trenching for sprinklers (yes, I know the gas line gets buried deeper than the sprinklers :) ). I'll include a trace wire, and leave enough room at either end that the...
  4. JeffeVerde

Shower p-trap going dry quickly

I have a shower drain in a new house that's consistently admitting sewer gas two days after its last use. We have 50% humidity, no heating or a/c running, and none of the other drains are doing this, including two guest baths that go weeks without having water run through them. The shower is...
  5. JeffeVerde

Cutting through a 2" brass valve?

My pool is plumbed in 2" copper. After 40 years, all but one of the brass gate valves has stripped it's stem, and of course, the manufacturer has gone out of business and I can't find a match to swap parts with. I've got four valves side by side, feeding into a manifold, and I'd like to...
  6. JeffeVerde

Roughing in Shower Valve w/ no Mounting

I've got a mixer and several volume controls to rough-in (multi-head shower), and was surprised to see that there are no mounting bosses on the valve bodies. I can't simply hang the valves off the piping, as my supply is PEX and I had the wall framed with an extra wide bay to accommodate valve...
  7. JeffeVerde

Access to tub plumbing

I'm building a cabinet front for a drop-in tub, and wondering if I should make it removable for the purpose of future plumbing access. The floor is slab-on-grade, and half the tub projects into an exterior bump-out, with interior walls bracketing the tub on boths sides where it projects into...
  8. JeffeVerde

Anyone familiar with Andre Collection faucets?

After countless hours of "discussion", customer finally landed on a Kohler faucet collection she liked, for lav's, shower with standard, rain, handheld and body sprays, and roman tub filler with hand spray. She's got a friend that was going to give her "better than wholesale" pricing, so I...
  9. JeffeVerde

Toilet flapper still leaking after 2 replacements?

I've got a toilet flapper valve that's still leaking after replacing twice, with two different brands of flapper. It's a slow leak - like "drip-drip" every 10-15 seconds (I guess I could be more scientific about it and turn off the supply to see how long it takes to drain the tank :). After...
  10. JeffeVerde

On-demand Hot water return loop w- branch?

My sister's 7 year old house was plumbed w/ PEX and came with on-demand hot water -- but instead of spending the extra $30 worth of PEX to run a return loop, the builder used a crossover valve (which has failed). There's easy access to the lines in the attic, and we want to run a dedicated...
  11. JeffeVerde

Pressure-balancing valve = cold water on the hot water circuit?

Will a pressure-balancing valve feed cold water to the hot water side when the hot water side is open? I had my water heater disconnected this weekend, with water off at the main supply. When I reconnected the water heater, I had the cold supply valve closed when I opened the main supply...
  12. JeffeVerde

Copper and Galvanized lines in contact?

Late 40's house - replumbed to copper. Outside the service entrance, I've found a maze of buried new and old lines, with a number of copper and (out of service) galvanized lines laid across each other in direct contact. The galvanized lines show significant corrosion where they're in contact...
  13. JeffeVerde

PEX and recirculating hot water system - branch, home runs, or?

As part of a bathroom remodel, I'm replumbing with PEX and adding a recirc loop on the hot water. It's an L-shaped single-story ranch, with hot/cold supply in the garage, 50' from the two bathrooms I want to replumb (one at the corner of the L, and the second 10' down the "leg"). I'll run a...
  14. JeffeVerde

Extending Refrigerant Lines

As part of a remodel, I'm relocating my compressor. Before starting, I had my HVAC guy evacuate and cut/seal the lines. The framing's done and I'm ready to close up the walls, but my HVAC guy's out of town for two weeks. Can I put a stick of type L in the wall with 90's stubbing out top and...
  15. JeffeVerde

Split 110v off a 230v branch circuit?

Is it possible to split out a 110v branch from a 230v branch circuit? I'd like to put an exterior light and 15A receptacle near my A/C compressor, but it's a 120' run back to the panel, and access it difficult. I've got a 230v/50A circuit supplying the A/C compressor and the compressor only...
  16. JeffeVerde

Trap under slab - concrete over or leave exposed?

With a bathtub on a slab, is the trap typically left exposed or concreted over? I've already installed the (glued) trap, but I'm not sure whether I should box it in and leave it unconcreted, or go ahead and concrete over it, leaving just the stub-out. The tub will be in a platform, so...
  17. JeffeVerde

ABS fitting inside concrete footing?

-Slab-on-grade floor -toilet backs up to an exterior wall My vent stack/end-of-line clean-out will come up through the footing/slab. In a typical above-grade install, the closet bend would point back to the wall and T into the stack, like this- But how do I accommodate the requirement for...
  18. JeffeVerde

Routing vent under slab?

How do vent lines get run under a slab? It's my understanding that a vent has to slope a minimum of 45º until it's 6" above the flood line, but I'm not sure how to achieve that with underslab lines. I'm planning a large walk-in shower, and the wall I'll vent up is the opposite direction...
  19. JeffeVerde

Vent for Roman Tub

We're doing a bump-out of our bathroom (slab floor) to install a roman tub. Is there any reason to not have the vent stub up out of the slab alongside the tub drain (but outside of the tub footprint), and then run horizontal the couple of inches into the wall before turning vertical to the...
  20. JeffeVerde

Vent Stack Where?

I'm expanding a bathroom, and trying to figure out the easiest/best location for the vent stack. This is single-story, slab construction in SoCal (Orange County). The bath and toilet are in the new area, so drain routing is easy (no slab yet). The obvious place to put the vent stack would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks