Search results

1. Pronouncedeyen

can't remove tub overflow drain

I've replaced the beveled washer on the back of a tub overflow drain a number of times in the past. But I've never seen one like this! I took off the front cover and the screw holes are held in by tabs that stick out too far to push back behind the tub! What the hell? I thought maybe the whole...
  2. Pronouncedeyen

do AAVs expel sewer gases?

This may be a stupid question but if an AAV remains closed until it receives negative pressure from water going down the drain then how does it expel sewer gases? What happens to them if you use an AAV?
  3. Pronouncedeyen

shower drain

My contractor came to rough in the plumbing for our new bathroom and when we measured out the shower the edge of the drain sat over top of a joist. "No problem" he said and he chipped away some of the joist and used a couple of 90 degree elbows to reach the trap. Is this ok? I was worried that...
  4. Pronouncedeyen

Venting a shower with an AAV

I'm plumbing a new bathroom in an old house. A really old house. And since it's made of brick and plaster I decided to vent using AAVs instead of tearing up plaster walls and ceilings to get to the stack. I'm getting ready to tie the shower drain into the main 2" branch that the bathtub and...
  5. Pronouncedeyen

Can I cut through a top plate?

I'm running a 2" PVC drain pipe from one room to the next to connect to the main stack. The most convenient height (plumbing-wise) for it to pass between the two rooms is through part of the top plate of a load bearing wall. It's an old house so the top plate is made of 2 actual 2x4s. The top of...
  6. Pronouncedeyen

Plumbing a toilet on an uneven floor?

I'm rehabbing an old house and turning a small bedroom into a master bathroom and we're leaving the hardwood floor (don't ask!). The spot for the toilet is at the edge of the room where there is a significant amount of settling. From the left side of the toilet base to the right the floor drops...
  7. Pronouncedeyen

How do you get off these freaking handles?

A few years ago I inherited (sortof) a nice old art deco sink with a cool Speakman faucet. I finally got around to installing it in our new powder room and the cold side leaks. No big deal, just change a washer, right? Well I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the handles off...
  8. Pronouncedeyen

offset closet flange piping issues

Not sure which forum since it's a Toilet/Plumbing question, not one or the other. We're redoing the powder room on the first floor of our house. Because we got rid of 3(!) levels of flooring in there, the toilet now sits about 1.5" lower than it used to. To complicate matters, the toilet uses...
  9. Pronouncedeyen

Non standard cast iron pipe size leaking

I have a cast iron waste pipe that has a leak in it. It's behind a wall that we were going to rip out anyway so I took my sledgehammer to it and exposed a 5 ft section of it. It's a mess. It must have been leaking for awhile because it's all rusted on the outside and seems to be leaking in 2 or...
  10. Pronouncedeyen

flexible pipe under subfloor

I have a 1/2" flexible copper pipe (type L) coming out of a chunk of concrete and the top of that pipe is about 1/16" above where a plywood subfloor will be laid and meet the concrete. Is it OK if the floor rests on the pipe? Or will it cause problems to have half of the pipe embedded in...
  11. Pronouncedeyen

can I cap off a hot water radiator?

At the beginning of our bathroom remodel we removed the hot water radiator so we could redo the floor. Well everything under the floor was a disaster so we haven't put it back yet. And now it's getting cold. Does anyone sell a cap for the iron pipe that's the size of a standard female...
  12. Pronouncedeyen

copper pipes over old wiring

I just finished sweating a bunch of copper pipes for our bathroom remodel. They are under the floor about 2 inches above some old knob & tube wiring. My wife came to admire my work and said "is that ok to have them so close?" I said it was fine and she then said "won't they drip on the wires?"...
  13. Pronouncedeyen

flexible copper pipe question

Hi. When I was running some 1/2" flexible copper pipe last night through some joists I bent them into shape against the joist itself. In the process I created a bunch of little indentations in the pipe. I should have bent them straight first and then put them through the holes. Anyway, I...
  14. Pronouncedeyen

redoing copper sweats

Hi all. I screwed up and need to redo a couple joints I sweat last night. I was planning to cut them away and start over but some people on the site say you can just heat up the joint, pull it apart, flux it up again, and redo it. The problem I have is that when I pull them apart there's...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks