Search results

1. Lakee911

What size toilet flange and closet bend do I need?

Hi All, I'm having trouble determing whether I need a 3" or a 4" closet bend and flange for this toilet. The low wall mount tank is marked KOHLER USA and both the tank and lid have Kohler part numbers marked K-6802. They were cast in early 1930. The bowl, which I assume was original along...
  2. Lakee911

New install -- copper closet bend

Hi All, I will be installing a new toilet. I need to cross a 2x10 joist with the toilet drain. Max hole size, per code in a 2x10 would be 3-1/16 inches. I'm planning to double up the joist, but for PVC, hole size needs to be 3-1/2+ inches whereas copper can be 3-1/8+ inches. I'm leaning...
  3. Lakee911

Old Sink -- Standard Faucet?

Hi All, I'm considering purchasing this old sink. I don't have details such as manufacturer, casting date, dimensions, etc. yet. I did notice that it seems to have a bit of a funny hole in the center. Is this a non-standard pattern for a faucet? What are the thoughts on old fixtures? Thx...
  4. Lakee911

Faucet leaking down the drain lever

Hi All, I have a model P0152C Widespread Lavatory Faucet from Strom Plumbing by Sign of the Crab It has developed a leak from the bottom of the faucet where the rod comes through to connect the linkage for moving the drain stopper up and down. It's just a drop every 5 to 10 seconds. Any idea...
  5. Lakee911

How tight/loose to hang copper pipe?

One of the first projects in the new old house that I am buying is to replace 91 year-old galvanized pipes with copper. I am not sure wat type of hanger to use to minimize noise...whether from water hammer, water flow, or thermal expansion/congtraction. Also how tight do I make the pipe in the...
  6. Lakee911

3" threaded brass wye fitting?

Hello! I noticed this in a picture I took of a house I am buying.... is this a 3" threaded brass wye? Would it be common for the female end (inserted into that hub coming out of the floor) to be threaded? The 3" copper goes off to an addition that houses a half bath. I can't quite figure out...
  7. Lakee911

Replacing anode rod, what can go wrong?

I'm planning on replacing the anode rod in my water heater. The heater was installed in late 2005, so it’s about six years old. I’ll probably attempt to break loose the old anode rod before buying a new one. The plan is then to tighten it up afterwards, order the new one and easily loosen it...
  8. Lakee911

Old Lead Pipe Condition?

What's the likely condition of an old lead pipe that has been in service for 90 years? I don't expect it to corrode like a galvanized line. Maybe just some scale and hard water deposits? Are friction losses through lead pipe similar to that of copper pipe?
  9. Lakee911

support installed correctly?

I knew what I needed, but couldn't quite figure out the install...did I do this right?
  10. Lakee911

Starting design - check my flow/pressure please

Hey all, I'm going to be starting an irrigation system plan this winter and I just got done replacing some piping in the house to ensure that I have the maximum amount of water pressure and flow available in the house. Can I get a gut check that these numbers are okay? I open the...
  11. Lakee911

1954 Crane Neuday Toilet - Pink seat needed

I'm looking for a pink toilet seat for a 1954 Crane Neuday toilet. Client would prefer that it matches to the existing toilet (and sink and tub), but doesn't want to pay and arm and a leg. Where should I look? I know the toilet isn't efficient, but it's in perfect condition. Thanks, Jason
  12. Lakee911

DIY HVAC Equip. Where?

Can someone recommend a good place online to buy a new HVAC equip. for the DIYer? Thanks, Jason
  13. Lakee911

Price of NG vs Elec Heat

So, in my area I have a choice between Electric (Elec.) and Natural Gas (NG) and my rates are as follows: NG: $13.68 flat rate + $0.9691/CCF Elec: $452 flat rate + $0.116/KW-Hr I'm trying to determine which one is cheaper to use for heating. I know that effeciency of the natural gas...
  14. Lakee911

Hanging drywall on 8'-4.375" wall ...

So, my walls are 101 inches tall, and after I account for 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling, I still need to cover a height of 8'-4.375" with drywall. That's just over 4" too short. So, to eliminate this sliver, does this mean I'm going to have to use baseboard and it will be at least 5" tall if...
  15. Lakee911

Recommendation in Columbus, OH ?

Can someone recommend a drain cleaner in the Central, OH area? I like to have a number programmed in my phone and my last guy went out of biz... :( Thx
  16. Lakee911

AC Refrigerant lines: Braze or Solder?

When my furnace/AC fails in my rental house (and it will one of these days), I'm contemplating replacing the unit myself. I've always seen the AC lines brazed. Why aren't they soldered? Can they be? Thx Jason
  17. Lakee911

lawn and landscape irrigation system planning

Can anyone recommend a good source of information on setting up a lawn and landscape irrigation system? I'm going to have a trench opened up (for various reasons) that will be nearly the entire length of my property I'd like to go ahead and bury some piping for this that I can tie into...
  18. Lakee911

So, I want to to insulate my garage too...plastic supporting fiberglass.

So, I too want to insulate my garage. Thing is, though, I can't drywall it yet. Also, I can get a heck of a deal (and I mean heck of a deal) on 15" wide R30 unfaced insulation. I'm thinking of putting up 4mil visqueen on the bottom of the ceiling and then squishing two 15" wide bats between my...
  19. Lakee911

How does the layman drill a 2" hole in concrete block?

Subject says it all ... how does the layman (me) drill a 2-1/2" diameter hole through an 8" hollow concrete block wall? Would a carbide tip hole saw on an extension do the job? Center bit won't be masonary bit.... :( Thanks, Jason
  20. Lakee911

Adding combustion air

Hello all, I've made an attempt to seal up my old house pretty well, but it's nowhere near the point that my furnace requires a combustion air source. (To be honest, though, I've actually never tried turning on the bathroom fan, the dryer, the water heater and the furnace to see if I have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks