Search results

1. austintx

replacing lead pipes and drum trap with PVC

Seeing as the drain for the sink services the lavatory + kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher, I am going to need upgrade the 1.5" drain with a 2", correct? If so, looks like I will need to replace the cast iron wyes to accept the 2" drain
  2. austintx

Removed some of the concrete last night and it looks like the sink drain ties into the same cast iron pipe as the tub drain. My plan is to go ahead and replace the lead sink drian while I am at it. I was thinking about pretty much following the same path as the original lead pipe, having the...
  3. austintx

Thanks for the advice, my plan is to remove the brass ferrule and tie the PVC straight into the cast iron. I'll go ahead and bust a little concrete and see where that lead sink drain goes, judging by everything else, it probably ties into cast iron close by, so might not be too difficult to...
  4. austintx

Howdy, I am remodeling the bathroom in my 1951 house on slab. Once I removed the tub, I found a lead drum trap that I figure ought to be upgraded while I have the opportunity. I guess removing the thing was the easy part, my next step is connecting up the new PVC to the existing cast iron...
  5. austintx

Eternal Hybrid Water Heater

Starting to toy with the idea of using a mini tank+tankless...Are the Bosch Aristons the most common/best choice for mini tanks? Also, from my limited research, I would need to with Ariston GL6, because it has 3/4" inlet/outlets, to not restrict the flow as most tankless heaters use 3/4"...
  6. austintx

Thanks for all the replies! I have been without a computer all weekend or I would have responded sooner. I have not received a price quote yet, but from what I could find on google, they seem to go for about $500 over a decent traditional tankless (for the unit only) I figure subtracting out...
  7. austintx

Drain routing in bathroom remodel

Hey guys, sorry to come off as grubbing for free advice, but I really would like to get a nod of approval/disapproval before I pour concrete. I had to cut through the slab once and I sure don't want to do it again to fix something I messed up on the first time. Do yall think what I have done...
  8. austintx

I am considering one of these Eternal Hybrid Water Heaters http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/ to replace my 17 year old tank heater and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these. Now, before anyone jumps up and says "just get a Rinnai because this won't save you...
  9. austintx

Is there a proper way to route PEX through attic?

I have thought about this as well. My lines will be running perpendicular to the joists, so going above the insulation is about my only option. Since I will have several runs of PEX going from the manifold to the area of use, I have thought about taking some thin walled, large diameter PVC...
  10. austintx

OK finally got it all glued up. I haven't put my horizontal run over to the vanity yet or connected the vent up through the roof, but this is everything that will be under the slab. Any comments/concerns before I fill this in and pour concrete?
  11. austintx

One other thing, is it ok if the vertical stacks aren't perfectly vertical? I tried to keep them perfectly vertical, but that was almost impossible to do and have the horizontal lines maintain the proper pitch. They aren't off by much, I doubt you would know unless you have a level on them...
  12. austintx

Please help! PEX newbie.

I am about to begin a similar project. Well, I am neck deep in it, but about to begin the pex install part. I went with the Wirsbo/Uponor system. The expander tool isn't terribly expensive (~$250 new) and you can make up the price because the rings are so cheap. When you are done with your...
  13. austintx

Howdy everyone! I finally have been able to get my drain lines laid! I haven't glued them up yet, but wanted to get yall's opinion before I do. Starting from the right, that is the 2" wet vent that will come from the vanity, it then increases to a 3" right as the 2" drain and p-trap from...
  14. austintx

Removing some of the concrete has revealed some complications. it looks like there is a concrete footing that runs along the wall I was goign to put my vanity on (this is an interior wall). it looks to be about 12" thick. That is a bit more than I expecting, so would it be feasible to run the...
  15. austintx

Toilet Rough-in on Slab

I am currently running the drain lines for my bathroom remodel and have a question about the toilet rough in. First, my understand of a 12" rough in is 12" from the finished wall to the center of the flange, correct? Also, I am on a slab so I will be running the drain lines, then pouring...
  16. austintx

Moving toilet and vanity in a bath remodel

I am no expert, but am in the middle of a very similar project. My plan however is to completely abandon the existing lines. As far as what is currently under the slab, that is anyones guess. As I cut the concrete for my project, I have found that the existing drain lines are not quite where...
  17. austintx

Also, what do yall recommend I do with the existing lines under the slab? I was planning on cutting them as much as possible with a dremel tool but just leave most of them in place. Should I pack them with sand first?
  18. austintx

Hey guys, I wanted to confirm that I am proceeding in the right direction before I bust anymore concrete. Here is a photo of where I am at now. My cheesy paint job didn't come out as clearly as I hoped. In red is the 2" wet vent where the single vanity will go.
  19. austintx

Pipe Life Expectancy

My home (along with the rest of the neighborhood) was built in 1950 and still has most of the original galvanized piping. I do have some water flow issues, but no leaks yet (knock on wood). My brothers house here in houston was built in the late 70s and was built will all copper, but my...
  20. austintx

I hope everyone had a good 4th, and thank you all for your help. I am back again in need of more advice After showing my wife the bathroom layout I was planning, I have had to make a few "revisions." attached is the new "approved" layout with the green lines representing the drains and the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks