Search results

1. Paulsiu

Sump pump working just not very hard

I purchased a Liberty 287 2 years ago. It seems to work great, but today I notice that it wasn't pumping as much water as it should. In fact, it's pumping less water than the backup sump pump at 1/2 the capacity. What do you think is wrong? The backup used the same pump for discharge, so it's...
  2. Paulsiu

Gutter guard and heavy rain

Because there are a lot of trees in my yard, In certain parts of the year, I am constantly trying to clean out the gutters, otherwise my gutter fills up and water starts pouring out the side of the gutter. This eventually cause the sump pump to run continuously if the gutters are clogged. Worse...
  3. Paulsiu

Anyone have experience with SumPro?

I checked with my neighbors and what they use for sump pump backup and most of them have SumPros. I was wondering what your experience with Sumpro? 1. If you own one, what's your opinion of the product? 2. The unit I am looking at SumPro 100 has a 1800 watt. What's the runtime if pair with...
  4. Paulsiu

Anyone using the Basement Watchdog Big Dog?

Doing a search on the forum, I notice several people recommended the Basement Watchdog Big Dog. When I look at the unit online, the review are mixed. I am most concern with the following youtube video: It indicated that the Big Dog only pumped out 16 gpm with a 10 feet head, which is 1/2 the...
  5. Paulsiu

Replacing a backup Zoeller 507 with something higher in capacity?

I currently have a Zoellar 507 as a backup. It's spec to run at 15 gpm at 10 feet. This apparently is too anemic since there's been several close calls with the main pump which has a higher capacity. Base on some searches on this forum, there's a lot of people who like the Basement watchdog Big...
  6. Paulsiu

Replacing a Hydromatic DA-1 10 with a Zoeller M98 or Liberty 287

Based on some of the input from another post, I am thinking that I really need to upgrade the primary and probably the battery backup unit. I should concentrate on the primary first. How difficult would it be to swap out a DA-1 and replace it with a Zoeller M98 or Liberty 287. What gotha's...
  7. Paulsiu

Diagnosing sump pump and drainage issue

In the 8 years I lived in the house, the sump pump has failed to keep up 3 times. The issue tends to occur during times of heavy rain where I have notice that water coming in as faster than what the pump can pump out. The pump would run continuously as the pool slowly fills up. This only seems...
  8. Paulsiu

Replacing my sump pumps before it breaks

I currently have a Hydromatic DA-1 with a watchdog as backup. It works, but one year there was a freak rainstorm that dump a record amount of water in an hour and the pump was unable to keep up. The area has a lot of tree, so I am constantly cleaning the gutter out, but sometimes I failed to...
  9. Paulsiu

Help with garbage disposal replacement

Hi, My garbage disposal started developing tiny holes which started leaking. The disposal probably came with the house and is probably around 25 years old. I temporary plug the holes with putty while finding a replacement. One issue appears to be the tight fit. I notice several issues: 1...
  10. Paulsiu

Why did my basement flooded? What could I do to prevent this?

Recently, a really large storm hit Illinois. About 6.9 inch of rain fall in a day. There haven't been this much rain since the 1870's. . As a result, I got water seeping from the sump pump into the basement even when it's working. This has never happened before since the house was build in 92...
  11. Paulsiu

Bathtub overflow rusted away

In a house built about the 40's, the bathtub has an overflow plate with a center screw. The screw goes into a bar that runs across hole, but it's rusted completely away. I was wondering how this can be repair? I think the drain tube is still intact, but the gasket is not. Most of the plates...
  12. Paulsiu

Is a flexible water and gas line to a water heater ok in Illinois?

Hi I live in Itasca, IL a suburb west of Chicago. I attempt to look into the IL code, but could not find any reference to this. I have gas coming out of a black iron gas pipe and water coming out from copper pipe from the roof of the basement. My questions are: 1. Am I allow to hook up...
  13. Paulsiu

Newie's experience with replacing a water heater and some questions

This weekend, I kept hearing the ejection pump going off, so when I went to investigate, I notice that water was leaking out of the water heater. The gas water heater is a 6 year 50 gal GE dated back 2002. It is past its warranty, but I thought it was a bit unusual for it to break so early in...
  14. Paulsiu

Who do I call to winterize my sprinklers?

Hi, I recently moved into a house with a sprinkler system. Actually, I haven't even used it, but it appears that I will need to winterize the system by blowing it out. My question is who do I call to do that? What section do I look in the phone book to do this? Paul
  15. Paulsiu

Outdoor light flickering when use with CFL's

Hi, I am having a weird problem where when I install a CFL into the light outside, it starts to flicker. I do not have a dusk to dawn or motion sensor on the lamp, so I am puzzled at why this is happening. I did notice an old Brinks security system panel somewhere in the house. It is not...
  16. Paulsiu

15 year old Fridge, repair or replace?

Is it worth hiring a repair man to fix a 15 year old fridge or should one just buy a new one. Paul
  17. Paulsiu

Motion Sensor and compact fluorescent bulbs

The light on my ceiling light burnt out, so I replaced it with a compact flourescent. Much to my surprise, it did not work as I expected. The light is hooked up to a motion sensor and when the bulb doesn't turn off. It instead glows dimly or strobes. Is there a incompatibility issue with...
  18. Paulsiu

Open Ground after change to GFCI

Hi The home inspector indicated that all outlet used by the kitchen counters should be protected by a GFCI. Most of the outlets were, except for one. I decided to replace it with a GFCI. I even figure out which side was the load and which was the line. But I notice after the installaton of...
  19. Paulsiu

GFCI installation question

The house inspector indicated that the kitchen needed a gfci, so I have the following questions. 1. I don't really need to replace all of the outlet with gfci right? All I need to do is the replace the outlet that is closest to the circuit breaker box? I was under the impression that a single...
  20. Paulsiu

Tube overflow cover replacement

We have a tub that came with the house when it was purchased in 1979. It has a overflow cover that's secured at the center. One day, it came off. I thought it was because the screw was rusted, but instead the bar that the screw attached to has rusted away. Now I can't screw it back on. Is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks