Search results

1. Mario

Garbage disposers

Like Terry said; "the Insinkerator Evolution's are great"...they are the model 777's 1 h.p. modern equivalent. The new top of the line model will auto reverse and go into hammer-drill mode when put into a bind. A little pricey though. But worth every penny. I'd put one in my house if I had to...
  2. Mario

AO Smith 40gal Gas for $**** installed

I like that name...Sewer rats. And the artwork. Never thought of that one. That would make a great name for a plumbing company. Of course "S" is quite a ways down the alphabetical line. My company starts with an "A" too.
  3. Mario

AO Smith 40gal Gas for $**** installed

There is something fishy about that price for sure. Wholesale prices for the newer design federally mandated sealed combustion units are $****...no matter the brand. Include a small percentage mark-up to retail price, permit fees for local inspections, misc. parts to hook it up, and two to...
  4. Mario

1/2" pex to 1/4" copper for ice maker

A saddle tap is always a mistake, even with copper. They make regular full-size compression stops that are 1/2 X 1/4. That is all I ever use. Saddle taps are just asking for trouble. They also make a pex crimper that reaches into tight spaces and you don't need two men and a small boy to...
  5. Mario

1/2" pex to 1/4" copper for ice maker

Sharkbite tee in the pex, then a little 1/2" copper stub........2-3" long and a "straight stop" 1/2 X 1/4 compression. Those are a little hard to find, so if they don't have one available a 1/2 X 3/8 Straight stop and a 3/8 female X 1/4 compression will screw right onto the 3/8 end of the...
  6. Mario

Water heaters and unions

Uniform Plumbing code 2006 does require unions on water heaters. Forget soldering old style copper unions and di-electric unions with all their plastic parts and joining surfaces to worry about keeping clean. Unsweat the last coupling, clean the pipe and use a sharkbite flex connector...
  7. Mario

sweating theory

Retirement home stories... OK, here's one for you. I was called out one fine day to a nice little retirement home to fix a leak in a ceiling causing some ceiling tiles to get spotted with water stains. Not a very large leak in fact it took quite a while to find it. It wasn't until my...
  8. Mario

Vacuum breaker leaking

Yeah, that is different than what I was describing. But with that exploded view you should be able to order the parts easily through an authorized distributor. One place you can get these parts is called "Industrial Mechanical Supply". They had your same drawing on the web. You can call them...
  9. Mario

sweating theory

If you want to just use copper in the set-up you pictured above, you could pre-sweat all the male adapters let them cool, dope and tape them and screw them in place. For the small pipe between the two units, use a copper coupling in the middle as the last sweat joint after you have screwed in...
  10. Mario

Water heater replacement

Yeah, I actually had read that before my last post. That is interesting he found that out. But...you can't go soldering micro-temp limit switches on gas valves without voiding the warranty or worse yet opening yourself up to a lawsuit if something goes terribly wrong. Gas valves made in...
  11. Mario

Water heater replacement

Rheem's sold at plumbing supply houses are of a good quality.... Bradford Whites are good quality also except...for one "little" thing. They don't have legs on them anymore and that makes them incompatible with drip-pans. There needs to be a warning on the box somewhere, I have been over...
  12. Mario

Crazy gray water recycling idea

It could be done pretty easily. They make a self enclosed under-sink pump system for use in doctors offices or rooms a long way from a sanitary drain system. I've worked on these at hospitals. They are about four gallons or so and have a built in pump and float system. You could unhook the...
  13. Mario

Anyone ever seen this type of fitting before?

Two part ferrule eh? OK, I'm going to have to buy a vowel here... Where exactly and attached to what did you you find this thing? The two part ferrule sounded familiar, then I remembered a fitting used on the pilot light tube for a gas valve. Not the same thing, but that still may...
  14. Mario

Vacuum breaker leaking

The hospital I worked at was a network of several local hospitals, and had taken over a psych ward/substance abuse unit that had security locked out penal type AirTrol faucets and the Acorn push button toilets. I had about 45 units with these push button toilets and air actuated metering...
  15. Mario

Vacuum breaker leaking

"One example of a cross-connection catastrophe occurred in Chicago in 1933 from defective fixtures and piping. As a result, 1,409 individuals contracted amoebic dysentery, which caused 98 deaths." I'm not sure if this is the same event I was referring to on flushometers, but I do remember now...
  16. Mario

Vacuum breaker leaking

Those holes are an integral part of the anti-siphon, back-flow prevention system. If it's assembled properly they shouldn't dribble any water. If you research the history of the Sloan valve, before the holes and vacuum breaker were added to the design around the turn of the last century many...
  17. Mario

45's to raise p-trap arm?

I just got off the phone with a plumbing inspector just to be sure, and they said they would normally want the AAV to be installed above the flood level rim, but they do evaluate on a case by case basis as in an island sink situation where they might allow it to fit under the cabinet. I don't...
  18. Mario

45's to raise p-trap arm?

Not sure if you're under the uniform plumbing code as is the case in my city or the international plumbing code, but I believe the final vent height when using an Air Admittance Valve needs to be extended above the flood level rim of the sink, not just 4 inches above the P-Trap. Always the vent...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks