Search results

1. Zimm0who0net

Forgot to cement an ABS joint... now what?

Well, I guess I'll cross my fingers and call for my inspection...
  2. Zimm0who0net

Well, just to be thorough I figured I'd post the final result. Did I do it right? I brought out the torque wrench for the bands and tried to do 60 in-lbs, but it felt like I was on the verge of stripping out the worm gear and I hadn't gotten the "click", so I stopped. I'm thinking the torque...
  3. Zimm0who0net

Ahh, OK. So I guess the 1056-33 with an SRC-15 shear ring is not the proper fitting! I see how you would end up with a hub width gap between the pipe ends. Now I see the need for two couplings. If I had the flexibility you talk about I could probably get the end of the pipe out, put cement...
  4. Zimm0who0net

Thanks Wayne. I think I understand, but I'm not certain why I need 2 shielded coupling rather than just 1 if I use a coupling without a stop? In other words, cut out a section that's the depth of the hub so I can get the end of the pipe out that's in the hub. Put the coupling in without a...
  5. Zimm0who0net

So I finished my rough lines, went to pressure test and noticed a leak. Turns out I forgot to cement the whole damn joint. Here's a photo: That's a 3" to 2" wye. So I've tried to get it apart and I can't seem to . Probably not surprising given that it didn't blow apart with about 12' of...
  6. Zimm0who0net

Pressure testing new system - slow pressure loss

I've got a fairly small plumbing system that I just put in a guest house we're building. 2 bathrooms, a bar sink and a laundry. It's generally PEX-A with some copper stub-outs. To test, I turned the system on, then turned off the main ball valve and I've been watching for pressure loss. It...
  7. Zimm0who0net

Outdoor shower valves

Interesting. I guess I hadn't considered balancing upstream of the valves.
  8. Zimm0who0net

Outdoor shower valves

Not to step on my own post, but apparently this shower is pressure balanced: How? Is the T connecting the hot and cold some sort of voodoo magic? Is there a supplier for this mystery sweatable pressure balanced valve? Here's a link to the web site...
  9. Zimm0who0net

Outdoor shower valves

So I'm wanting to put in an outdoor shower next to a CMU retaining wall I'm currently building. Most of the ones I've seen have simple individual valves for hot and cold. Like this: How does this not violate IRC P2708.4 (the code requiring pressure balancing mixing valves, etc). I don't...
  10. Zimm0who0net

How important are vents, really?

Thanks! So maybe there's been sewer gasses entering the kitchen all this time. Glad I finally caught this. I'll finish the fix and give an update a few weeks after
  11. Zimm0who0net

How important are vents, really?

So a little over a decade ago I remodeled my house. The kitchen moved and the plumber decided that rather than saw cut a huge swath of slab he would go through the stem wall and underground to connect with the main sewer line running to the street. Inside, the line came through the stem and...
  12. Zimm0who0net

Gas line under slab...

Not really an option. Going one direction would require going under a driveway and open up the whole same can of worms. The other direction would be about 80’ and it would have to run right next to the base of a wash.
  13. Zimm0who0net

Gas line under slab...

Incidentally, the poor plumber is watching from the sidelines, essentially saying "I'll do whatever you and the inspector decide".
  14. Zimm0who0net

Gas line under slab...

Can someone clarify a few things for me. I have a poly natural gas line coming from the meter to a guest house about 120 feet underground. It needs to get to an outdoor water heater on the opposite side of a structure. Easiest path is underslab starting with the poly line and running...
  15. Zimm0who0net

How can I secure a ball valve

I've got two ball valves inside my house that I will be using to feed an outdoor shower. They've got 1/2" PEX fittings on each end. Inlet comes from the house water distribution and outlet goes into the slab and outside. So, I see (now) that I can buy a valve with a mounting flange. I...
  16. Zimm0who0net

Which water outlets should get soft water?

Thanks. I’ll see if I can pull that off. Unfortunately I poured a pad over there thinking it would make a nice base for the unit. Any advice for which brands hold up better in the sun?
  17. Zimm0who0net

Ok. So pretty much everything inside gets soft except maybe the kitchen cold. Maybe I’ll stub out a 3rd under the sink so I can easily swap between cold soft and cold hard if I change my mind. thanks for the advice on the actual water softener. I still have not bought one yet although all the...
  18. Zimm0who0net

I’m building a guest house. I’ve run a line to it with softened water and another with plain water. I had planned to use the plain water for hose bibs, but it occurs to me that maybe some other outlets inside the house might benefit from plain water too. Toilets? Cold on the kitchen sink? What...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks