Search results

1. momisana

Sewer water standing in front yard

(This is related to another thread, or, it may be) We had the CI stack replaced on the exterior of our house last week. Now, we have a rising level of water in the front yard that is smelling more and more like sewage. It is located about 10 feet "downstream" from where they replaced the...
  2. momisana

Is this to code? (Stack Replacement)

NEW problem: sewer water in the front yard They're coming back today for ANOTHER problem that popped up over the weekend and we'll ask them then. The new problem: we now have a rising level of sewage in the front yard, just above the buried sewer line. This is new - appeared a day or...
  3. momisana

Seweratz - thanks - that's all we wanted to know. :) The price quotes was not for going *through* the roof - it was for extending it *above* the roof. However, that part was not written - just verbally explained.
  4. momisana

They replaced about 10 feet or so? It doesn't go through the roof - it's all on the outside and terminates just above the roofline.
  5. momisana

Well, six weeks later, we FINALLY got our cracked stack replaced. We got three estimates, went with the most expensive one and the nicest people who promised only quality work. Only now, we're not so sure we made the right decision. First of all, is the attached photo to code? This is a...
  6. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Hmmm... You mean the size of the CI wouldn't meet code? What size is it supposed to be? I'd estimate it's 4" but I'm not sure. Plumber #2 actually said that replacing the cracked CI segment was easy and wouldn't be too much time/money. It's all the rest of the stuff that's the issue. He...
  7. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Two plumbers, two different recommendations: First plumber: replace entire stack with PVC Second plumber: replace cracked section with new CI section Both want to put ejector pumps in the basement and maybe cap off old main line running under the house and put a new one in outside our...
  8. momisana

Replace toilet ring or whole drain?

Plumber came this morning and sent a camera down the drain. Pretty cool - we got a DVD of it... No roots or cracks that he noticed. Alot of it was under water so we couldn't see much. There is a "belly" about six feet in, and the slope is bad or nearly non-existent until it gets closer to...
  9. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Thanks for adding this - especially from someone who obviously knows about ladders... My husband is not a small man and I think if he felt unsafe he would not have gone up there (it wasn't very high anyway - just the last bit he couldn't reach). On a related note, my brother fell last year...
  10. momisana

Hammered-up floor My husband worked this weekend to hammer up some more of the basement bathroom floor. I've attached a picture below of the existing shower drain pipe and where it connects to the toilet drain (and a pic of my hero doing the work). The flanges you see are not attached - just...
  11. momisana

Cracked CI stack

If it's existing and we replace it, can we leave it outside? Kinda like being "grandfathered in"? :o
  12. momisana

Cracked CI stack

That's what we're planning. Just wanted the pros/cons of different materials. Sounds like ours but it's mostly on the outside. Framed in with fiberglass insulation in the framed "box". You can imagine the shape of that insulation... Wish I knew why it cracked. I wonder if it has to do...
  13. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Well, it's worse than we thought: the upstairs toilet, bathtub, and sink all drain into this CI pipe. We did a "test" with each one of those three, and water came out the crack. :( Looks like a replacement is in order. Holy crap (pun intended). So, replace with another CI, or with PVC...
  14. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Gary - I think you're right. We have a plumber coming Monday morning to send a camera down the main line. We're going to have him take a look at it. Our "patch" job is an idea to give us some time to get the money to replace the stack, which we don't have right now.
  15. momisana

Cracked CI stack

Thanks for the advice. Because of a wrought-iron fence and other landscape rocks, etc, at the bottom that you can't see, that was the closest we could place it without it going almost straight up the side of the house. If we do more extensive work, we'll have to have to do it differently.
  16. momisana

Cracked CI stack

As for capping the vent, I didn't mean cap it to seal it - I mean put some sort of hood or "roof" or wire mesh or something over it. Right now, it's wide open and sits under a tree that full of birds nesting, etc. There isn't any play in the pipe that I've noticed, but my husband was the one...
  17. momisana

Cracked CI stack

It seems the more we get into this project, the more we find. Our CI stack is on the outside (100-yr-old house), and today my husband decided to pull down the rotten wood box covering it. That's when we noticed a huge crack - starts in front, runs downward and around the back. It's about 18"...
  18. momisana

Just got off the phone with a plumbing company. They're coming Monday morning to send a camera down the sewer line. $300... We'll continue to work on hammering up the inside, so I may post some more pics before then. Thanks so much for all the advice.
  19. momisana

Not sure if anyone is still reading (it has gotten long), but regarding the toilet: is it possible to just replace the drain from the toilet to the main line, without replacing the main line? Here's what I'm thinking: 1) hammer up around shower drain and toilet drain, all the way to where...
  20. momisana

I take back my previous post - didn't realize that pipes are not named by their outer diameter measures. So there is 2" trap connecting to 1 1/2" pipe. My bad. Something else I learned from reading all of this: the shower is draining - slowly. I said it wasn't draining before because I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks