Search results

1. Mahnrut

How are bathtubs measured?

I have a 1930s cast iron alcove tub which at the moment with tile on 3 sides measures 57.5” by 29” . It’s outside height is 17” which we find perfect for use as a tub or a shower. So my question is what size tub do I look for that would give me that height as I assume that it is a standard 30 by...
  2. Mahnrut

What else could it be: indirect hot water heater leaking?

By the way the T+P valve discharge pipe is 18" off the ground. Not sure I understand the significance of this though.
  3. Mahnrut

Thanks Daltex - very useful information about the possible need to lengthen the T&P discharge pipe. When our new company comes in the Fall to service the equipment we will ask him. We got someone else as the next week our ac system again 15 years old with first repair was overflowing (blocked...
  4. Mahnrut

We didn't pay for the last visit (replacing the T+P valve) which the technician said was around $200. Although we think the technician is generally very competent we don't like the "book" pricing and will look for another company for maintenance. We met this "book" pricing with a dishwasher...
  5. Mahnrut

Yes we were not happy about the charges. The #60 tank ($50-60 retail) was around $450 installed and the other expansion tank around $400 and then the diagnostic fee to begin with came to just under 1K. I am not sure that doing it at one time would have made any difference as they use a "book...
  6. Mahnrut

Thanks jadnashua. We certainly hope so!
  7. Mahnrut

Thanks dj2. The technician did check the house water pressure at the first visit. Yesterday, as his boss suggested he should have done first, he checked whether the hot water temperature settings were OK which they were. In the end he changed the valve connected to the overflow pipe (valve...
  8. Mahnrut

We had a new gas-fired boiler and indirect water heater installed about 12 years ago. All has been fine and we have had the system serviced annually and it has needed no repairs. A few days ago, after returning from vacation when we had lowered the water heater temperature as usual when we are...
  9. Mahnrut

Repair to fancy sink trap ensemble

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. When we took it apart and cleaned it all up of the calcium deposits we saw that the cap top unscrewed so in future we can keep the crud off without having to force the cap up. But having done that the stopper now seals and as I think that we would...
  10. Mahnrut

Repair to fancy sink trap ensemble

Hello I hope someone can advise. We have a 3 year old italian Cono sink (8010/R) with a pop up drain which has been damaged so no longer closes. We don't need this drain to close and would like to replace it with a regular grid drain assembly. We do some plumbing but are not sure what...
  11. Mahnrut

Plumber Leery about changing waste pipes in shower room

End of story. The plumber decided with a bit of encouragement from us to cut back to the stack so we will have all new pipes and a toilet flange as well. As you will see from the pics the pipes were well crudded. What may have influenced him was that when he looked under the wall (where the...
  12. Mahnrut

Thanks. Not sure if he has a cam. He will come today in the afternoon EST.
  13. Mahnrut

Thanks very much for the quick reply. The 4" joins the main stack just behind that wall which borders the corridor bathroom so only a short distance. We are hiring him on an hourly basis so he won't be stuck with any extra cost. I just wondered whether he was being overly nervous - he has 35...
  14. Mahnrut

We have gutted our 1930s small master bathroom (shower only). The plumber who we have known for a long time was surprised to see that the toilet waste pipes were steel and not cast iron so said that he would not replace the pipe from the flange to the stack (pic attached). Because of the...
  15. Mahnrut

American Standard Shower fittings and faucets

We are gutting and remodeling a shower bathroom and have found a style of fixtures we like in American Standard Green Tea Collection. I am a bit concerned as I can only find negative comments about American Standard bathroom fittings on websites. The bathroom is going to cost a lot before we...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks