Search results

1. TechInstructor

Low Pressure Cut Off Switch Intermittently Cutting Off New Pump

We installed a new pump in our well. It is a Grundfos 10SQ10-290 - 10 gpm 1 hp. Our well is 420’ deep - the pump sits at 380’ - the static water level is 40’ and the well flow is 2 gpm. We also installed a new pressure tank. It is a 22g CAD2 Flex-Lite composite tank. There is a new Square D...
  2. TechInstructor

Small leak at well seal tee

I recently had a new well pump installed. The installer replaced the old plumbing and put in a well seal with a stainless tee. After running water for a while we have determined that there is a very slow leak coming from the base of the tee fitting at the top of the well. Over a period of...
  3. TechInstructor

Need a ball valve recommendation

Can anyone recommend a brass ball valve that will last? We replaced on that we had used for about 1 1/2 years with the same brand. The second one has only been installed for about 3 months and it is already leaking (just a drip) from the top of the valve. I've been buying them at Lowes...
  4. TechInstructor

LPG Tankless Water Heater Trouble with Ignition

I have an Eccotemp L10 Tankless Water Heater. This unit was installed two years ago and it has been used since for all our hot water. It worked great for 6 months and then we had to replace the gas-water valve assembly. About 6 months later I had an issue with it periodically/randomly not...
  5. TechInstructor

Pressure switch setting for small tank

I had to replace a pressure switch on a 2-gallon pressure tank. I don't know what the pressure settings were on the faulty switch. The new switch (one I already had purchased for another purpose) was preset to 60/40. At that setting water pressure is much steadier, but the pump is cycling on...
  6. TechInstructor

Bending Pex

We're getting ready to install a Pex homerun system with a Manabloc. Viega Pex has a bend radius of 8 times the pipe diameter or 4" for 1/2" pipe. We bought the 100' roll of Pex so the pipe has a curved "set" in it. We're finding that whether you straighten or bend the tube, it wants to return...
  7. TechInstructor

Water pipe in deep well

I need some help in understanding how the water pipe is connected under the well head. Since obviously I can only see what's on top, I'm attaching a picture of that in hopes that someone can tell me what is most likely underneath. (Yes, I know that can vary, but this well was most likely...
  8. TechInstructor

Pex and Condensation - to insulate or not to insulate?

We're putting Pex in our new home. I've never had Pex in a house before (only PVC) so I'm not sure what to expect. Most of the Pex will be under the floor in our basement. The full basement has poured concrete walls (10") that are insulated on the outside (2" Styrofoam) so freezing is not an...
  9. TechInstructor

Fire block caulk around pipes - where and what kind?

I have questions as to where fire block caulk is required around pipe penetrations. Can someone answer yes or no to the following locations: * joists? * blocking (between joists, over basement load-bearing wall)? * subfloor (from basement to 1st floor and/or 1st floor to attic)? *...
  10. TechInstructor

Wiring for Submersible Pump

We have a Myers Predator 2-wire, 1HP, 230 V 5 GPM pump installed in our well at our new home. Currently the pump is wired to a small pressure tank at the well with a cord on it so we can plug it in to our saw service and use it during construction. We are in the process of running the water...
  11. TechInstructor

Periodic Sediment Problem in Well

We have a deep well, 420', with a static water level of 40' and a recovery of 2 GPM. Usually our water runs clear, though we do get some sediment buildup over time as is evidenced in a container that we keep filled for filtering our drinking water through a Sterasyl ceramic candle. However, we...
  12. TechInstructor

Island Sink Venting

I came across the method for venting an island sink while browsing threads on vent issues. I'm so glad I found this. I had previously given up on trying to properly vent my kitchen sink because of the double window above it and had planned to use a Studor vent. However, I think the island sink...
  13. TechInstructor

Vent size for 3" horizontal drain from water closet

My water closet empties into a 3" horizontal drain (using a combo wye for the change from vertical to horizontal). I plan to add a vent, connected with a wye, about 7' downstream from that point. What is the correct pipe size for this vent? NC code says the vent must be at least 1/2 the...
  14. TechInstructor

Tub Drain - Trap and fitting questions

My tub drain (from a clawfoot tub) will be located only a few inches away from the branch drain. I had my plans reviewed by the county inspector and he told me that I didn't need a vent on that drain. Since there's no vent, I'm not sure of the correct fittings to use to connect from the trap...
  15. TechInstructor

Sink Rough In Height

I'm doing some planning for installing the drain waste system in a new home. We're installing two kitchen sinks, one single and one double. Both are made by Kohler and both measure 9 5/8" from the rim to the bottom of the basin. The specifications for the sinks show the rough in for one to be...
  16. TechInstructor

Toilet Installation - New Construction

We are doing our rough plumbing and need to install the toilet flange at the proper height to allow for the thickness of the floors. We are planning to use 3/4" hardwood floors, but we need some advice as to how to install the toilet flange so that it will not have to be removed later when the...
  17. TechInstructor

Washer and sink drain questions

I have two code questions. The first one concerns the drain line from a clothes washer. The washer drain will connect to a horizontal drain that will also carry waste from the lavatory and tub. This horizontal drain will then connect via a combo wye to the main 3" horizontal drain that...
  18. TechInstructor

Minimum distance from trap to sani-tee

I've read about maximum distances allowed from the trap to the sani-tee (and vent) but I was wondering if there is a minimum horizontal distance that should be maintained. In other words can the j bend be trimmed to a shorter length if desired? We'd be using 1 1/2" pipe at this location. I...
  19. TechInstructor

Rough in plumbing clarification needed

We're getting ready to do the rough in plumbing on our new home. I'm not sure I completely understand just how much of the plumbing needs to be installed prior to the first "rough-in" inspection and testing. In the DWV system: Our county allows us to do a water test so that's what we are...
  20. TechInstructor

Rheem Fury Electric Installation - Heat trap?

We're getting ready to install a Rheem Fury Electric Water Heater. We are using 18" copper flex water supply lines and then Pex. The instruction manual shows installing the supply lines in either a vertical or horizontal fashion. The problem is that the horizontal version shows three 90 degree...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks