Search results

1. John/Charleston

New tub decision

I'm helping my daughter remodel her first home, a 1975 townhouse. The original tub/shower was 60x32 fiberglass and had cracked around the drain so it's history. We were planning on a cast iron tub with tile surround but of course budget is raising it's ugly head and we're now looking at an...
  2. John/Charleston

Gas line questions

Here's the situation: There's a gas line run thru the floor of the kitchen where the customer wants a base cabinet. It's newly run with some of that flexible line under the house and comes thru the floor with a nice flange around it. It's a 3/4 line that has a 3/4-1/2 adapter right about at...
  3. John/Charleston

Help with yet another bath drain configuration please and thank you.

Work has slowed so much, so long, I'm forced to work on my own house. Hopefully I can explain this clearly.... The first pic below shows the layout of my bath. The yellow area is the floorplan of the master bath which backs up to the hall bath. The circle with X marks the main drain...
  4. John/Charleston

Flange 1" too low with a tile floor

I'm trying to figure out how to set a toilet on a flange that is 1" below the tile floor level. Original plumber just stacked wax rings and of course it's leaking. The ply subfloor has pretty minimal damage as far as I can see. The flange is pvc. There's a finished ceiling below over...
  5. John/Charleston

Whole house re-plumb

I have a customer who has a ~1990 era house that was plumbed with Polybutylene with plastic fittings. The first fitting just failed and it fortunately was in the basement bath so damages weren't as bad as they could have been. It's a finished basement though and it's still a lot of damages...
  6. John/Charleston

Houzer Sinks?

A customer of mine is considering a Houzer sink in her kitchen remodel. I can't find any info on these forums but I've never heard of Houzer sink before. Any opinions/experience for Houzer? It's the Houzer PGS-3122-1 model which is 18ga single bowl. Thanks, John
  7. John/Charleston

Uneven toilet flange in concrete

I'm going to tile a small bath floor in a rental I own. The flange is set uneven in the concrete floor and the high point of the flange is about 1/8" below the level of the concrete. The low side of the flange is about 1/4" lower. The tile I'm using is 3/8" so with thinset, I'll be raising...
  8. John/Charleston

Toto with ST703 tank?

I'm looking at installing a used Toto in one of my rentals and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. The tank is stamped ST703 inside and research shows me that that tank has been discontinued (as of 2007). A search here seems to mention a CST703 as a low grade builders model Toto that...
  9. John/Charleston

ID on Kohler toilets

I can't find any id info for two Kohler toilets. One has the following inside the tank: K-37-07-0103 The other has: Kohler Co K 45 AA .6gpf / 6lpf 7 27 95 2 96 Any ideas? Are these too old to be found in the Kohler id system? Thanks, John
  10. John/Charleston

American Standard model ID?

I have a chance to pick up an American Standard 1.6 g flush toilet to replace one in a rental unit. The tank is stamped : 4023 Standard Made in Mexico By American Standard and the guy who has it says it was manufactured in 1993 and that it has a 2.25" trapway. I gather the 4023...
  11. John/Charleston

Test fitting pvc

Is there some basic trick to test fitting pvc before gluing? I was running 3" drain lines in a fairly tight configuration yesterday and was wanting to dry-fit it all together to make sure of fit. Getting the pipe and fittings to seat together dry was a bear and taking them back apart for the...
  12. John/Charleston

Did I screw up?

I'm a carpenter not a plumber but I understand the basics. I recently installed a replacement vanity top for a friend in her 2nd floor bathroom. The top was a used cultured marble one from Habitat and it had faucets on it already. I tried to swap them out with the ones she had already which...
  13. John/Charleston

Water hammer arrestors and code

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and found it by searching for code information on Water hammer arrestors. I understand what the arrestors are and how they work but I haven't been able to find if and where code requires them. Some one told me they were required on every fixture but I find...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks