Search results

1. BJ James

New Toilet keeps leaking

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I have recently finished a bathroom remodel and my new toilet is leaking into the bathroom below, after flushes. But it's not leaking at the toilet or on the floor. I replaced the wax ring(with horn) that came with the toilet (Kohler Cimmaron), but it...
  2. BJ James

New Toilet keeps leaking

Really? Our local HW store only sells the horned wax rings. I thought SOP proceedure was to use the horn down the flange. That's what the picture on the package shows. What is the reason not to use the horned ring? I'm curious, have had a leak, and I'm definitely not a plumber.
  3. BJ James

house main shutoff

Is a gate valve a bad thing? I don't understand the terminology.
  4. BJ James

house main shutoff

Plumber was in and done in about 1 minute. Just had to "pack" the valve. ? I don't know what that means, but he was quick and no more drips. And he didn't even need to shut the water off.
  5. BJ James

house main shutoff

That's what I figured. Does the municipality usually charge the homeowner to shut off the water?
  6. BJ James

house main shutoff

I have a plumber coming in to replace my main valve- it drips. Will he have to shut water off at the street, or is there a special trick or tool they use to shut off water while replacing that?
  7. BJ James

ABC's of how a water softener system works-

And the rubber tube that empties to the floor drain is the backwashed water and resin?
  8. BJ James

So, it is in constant use? All household water goes through the softener? I always thought that the regen was the softening stage and soft water was stored in the water heater. I knew that didn't make sense. So, the regen is just the system cleaning stage?
  9. BJ James

Actually, the unit seems to function fine for the most part. We get nice soft water. Maybe a couple time a year I have to scoop a little water out of the tank so it doesn't overflow. How they work- as in, the water comes from the main supply and goes? through that cylinder? gets stored in the...
  10. BJ James

About 5 or 6 years ago we moved into a house that had an older water softerener system. It's located in a closet in the basement bathroom. I imagine it is original to the house which is about 30 years old. It has a big square plastic tank that you put softener salt in, and a round cylinder with...
  11. BJ James

Question on installing tub drain kit

Thanks for the great info. Yes, I figured that bottom should be flat, that's why I asked. Looks like I screwed up on the length of the pipe beneath the tub, so I'll try again. Question: what fitting/connection/attachment whatever would you use if you wanted to set the tub in place, hook up...
  12. BJ James

I'll try again then. Don't want to chance a leak.
  13. BJ James

Thanks, that worked. My next dilemna is I cut my my ABS to size, dry fit it glued everything, but now my drain does not seat properly. It misaligned higher towards the rear of the tub than the front. Will the thin rubber gasket under the tub, and plumbers putty under the drain be enough to keep...
  14. BJ James

I ran into another stumbling block here. The offset rubber overflow gasket that came with my ABS drain kit is not allowing my overflow pipe to come straight down to the tee. If I have the gasket thick side up, it pushes the pipe towards the tub too far. Thick side down, pushes the pipe away from...
  15. BJ James

Getting ready to install new tub-questions

Thanks exactly the info I needed. Thanks very much. BJ
  16. BJ James

You mean I have to take the old tub out before installing a new one? T'ank you Captain Obvious.
  17. BJ James

Thanks for the reply. I may not have explained correctly though.(Or I may not be reading the reply correctly) I will be installing the waste/overflow on the tub before sliding it in. I will have a short piece of pipe going down through the floor to hook up to the drain/p trap. I was really...
  18. BJ James

Hopefully tomorrow I will be ready to install my new tub as part of a complete bath reno. I have the tub, a MAAX Newtown Whirlpool unit - I believe it's fibreglass, I have a drain/overflow kit, have my hacked up ledger board up(had to hack it up for hose clearance), and a couple bags of sandmix...
  19. BJ James

Recessed light in bath

So any suitable sized recessed (and IC rated) light will work and all I need is a trim kit? I assume they're readily available at most hardware stores? Thanks for the info. BJ edit: I just realize that in my first post I didn't mention this light is going in the shower. Am I still good?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks