Search results

1. bob tenthousand

frozen vent pipe?

had same problem and it was not the plumbing I had a similar bad smell problem and it took a long time to figure out. I poured water down every drain in the basement and covered drain openings that weren't used. Nothing. The sewage pipe out of the house was not broken. I even thought something...
  2. bob tenthousand

whole house water filter cartridges - facts needed

red eye explained About the red eye, I'm just sensitive to it. But without any filters I look like I have a hangover after a shower. People noticed my eyes. Our skin also had red blotches on it before starting with nozzle end chlorine filters. I think it also made me itch a little when the air...
  3. bob tenthousand

**Please Help First Time Home Buyer!**

What about the water table? One last thing. How deep is the water table beneath your home? I live near Chicago and the water table is a few feet below my house. I'm ok except for when the ground is saturated or if there is a big rain in the winter when the ground is frozen. My pump pit is...
  4. bob tenthousand

Thanks for feedback Andy CWS, Thanks for the idea about the chlorine test kit. I'll look into it. The 20 micron GAC-BB filter was maybe 4 1/2 months old when I replaced it. Water was starting to taste 'normal' again and I was getting red eye in the shower again. I didn't get 12,000 gallons...
  5. bob tenthousand

Backup sump pumps are a necessity, in my opinion About the back up pump ... Get one. I just put in a Glentronics Big Dog. It's not cheap. Expect to spend maybe $650 retail including battery. Installation is extra unless you do it (not hard ... pvc pipe is cheap and easy to work with and...
  6. bob tenthousand

discharge away from house might help For the sump that is for ground water ... is discharged water getting far away from the house? Maybe 8 to 10 feet away? If it is just going out of the house and no further, you are probably recycling the same water. This is the voice of experience talking...
  7. bob tenthousand

I had a water softener installed last year and included a 10 inch big blue style whole house water filter. I asked for it because I wanted to reduce chlorine from my city water (good quality). I dislike red eye from chlorine while in the shower. Water from the faucet also tastes better now...
  8. bob tenthousand

2 check valves on 1 line ok?

answered my original question To answer my original question ... Probably not ok. Theoretically, it works. On the downside, it created drag on my Big Dog pump that was obvious. I went back to a traditional install with 1 in line check valve and a 1/8" hole to prevent air lock and it gained...
  9. bob tenthousand

Wayne's Genius Switch Isn't That Smart

follow up on original post In case anyone wondered, the 1/3 HP Champion sump pump is a winner. Easy install, SJE Rhombus vertical float switch, 40 gpm at 10 feet, and quiet. The company is not as well known as Zoeller or Hydromatic, but their pumps rule. Apparently they are only sold to...
  10. bob tenthousand

Going To Try A Champion with Rhombus Float Switch SewerRatz, Thank you for your reply. The primary pump I am replacing is a 9 year old 1/3 HP Hydromatic with a diaphragm switch. The pump still works but I thought 9 years is a little old and I didn't want to have a replace it under duress...
  11. bob tenthousand

Yesterday I installed a "Big Dog" backup pump and am pleased with it. Last week I replaced my primary pump with a Coleman 1/3 HP. Upon testing it again after the Big Dog install, it failed to pump. After trying to fix it I decided to write it off. I purchased if off **** at a steep discount...
  12. bob tenthousand

4 bends in sump pump PVC ok?

I'm replacing my backup sump pump with a basement watchdog 'big dog' today. In order to make the cover of the pit fit I will have to add a bend in the pvc so that the pvc goes through the slot in the lid. My question: do bends in the pvc pipe add much drag to the water flow? My rise is...
  13. bob tenthousand

Solar salt vs system saver pellets

I recently had a water softener installed and it's time to buy more salt. The installer stressed, several times, I should use solar salt and not the pellets. The system saver pellets are just about the only salt available without looking at every salt vendor in my area. Are system saver...
  14. bob tenthousand

2 check valves on 1 line ok?

I just replaced my sump pump. I put in a 1/3 HP Coleman (little giant) 50gpm @ 5' w/ 1/2" solids ok, replacing a functional 9 yr old hydromatic with a diaphragm switch. (9 years of use seemed to be pressing my luck ... mostly spring and summer rains) The existing pvc line had an in line check...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks