Search results

1. Gramps

Identify a mystery substance - what is it

I was just having some plumbing problems. A drain clog. Drain company came and snaked it. someone else uses in the basement. After the clog was cleared by the drain company, i found a strange substance in the bowl and don't know what it is. maybe 1 quarts worth of the stuff. i put a small...
  2. Gramps

Considering having a plumber examine my vent stacks. Yes or no?

The symptoms: A basement shower has backed up 2 times in the last 6 months and cleared by a plumber 2times in a branch line., most recently last week. Gurgling sounds happened during the backup. I am currently going through a bio-clean treatment after the plumber left last week. I have been...
  3. Gramps

Shifted branch line pipe. does this look odd to you? liner possible?

2 years ago or so I replaced all of the clay tile pipe in my laundry room with PVC. there were some clay to PVC connections when the drain company installed it. However 6 months ago, and again yesturday (has not be repaired yet), a branch line is clogged. The first time this happened i had...
  4. Gramps

Knocking pipe and water "spitting" in highest shower in house

Hello, I have 2 issues that may be related as numbered below. 1. I have a pipe that creates a single knock in the highest shower in the house whenever some high volume water is turned on, this happens at the same location always (upstairs shower) when fixutres through the house are turned on...
  5. Gramps

Need advice. replair or replace shower/tub hardware. Now? Later? not at all?

My long term goal is to gut my current late 1950's bathroom and start from scratch. This will not happen for about 5 years. However i may need to get some work done before that, depending on your opinions. In the future, I would like to put in a proper Grohe pressure equalized valve with a...
  6. Gramps

Moen kitchen faucet aerator replacment

I have a moen quinn 4 hole faucet that is a few years old. model CA87845SRS. According to the instructions page 1, the aerator cap appears to be cosmetic, meaning it can't be turned. http://www.moen.ca/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/ca87845pt.pdf This means that the aerator itself is a...
  7. Gramps

Existing 1 1/4" chrome plumbing trap retrofit. what would you do?

As can be seen in the picture below, I have an old 1 1/4" chrome trap that looks like it has been soldered near the wall. I know the drain lines pluming in this house is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" solid copper. I am wondering if it would be too difficult to desolder this joint becuase it is of large...
  8. Gramps

Cleaning used sink inside overflow cavity. necessary before install?

I bought a sink from the Habitat restore, and am cleaning it up before installation. It is a toto sink I noticed that inside the overflow cavity, alot of dirty grimy gunk has accumulated. My only concern is of sinks and odors. I don't like stinky sinks. Is there a way to clean this. I was...
  9. Gramps

re: laundry room sink connection

Hello, I have to install new tile in my laundry room. This is an old home with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" copper traps (i can't remember). The sink in the laundry room is a double type with the washing machine emptying into one. (no cabinets) The previous install put the legs of the sink right inside...
  10. Gramps

what is this? your guess is as good as mine

I have an old home, from the 50's. I removed some flooring and found this: What you are looking at is a piece of 1/4" copper coming out of a concrete slab, the same gauge as my furnace humidifier supply line, that seems to be going into the slab for some reason. There also appears to be a...
  11. Gramps

re: The most reliable shower pressure balancer system.

I am redoing a basement shower and wish to add a pressure balancer. In the basement, the look of the finish is not of primary importance. I just want it to work well. Is it better to install one separately to the shower head/handle assembly? or one unit that includes the balancer? My concern...
  12. Gramps

re: Weeping tile pipe towards interior. where does it go?

Hello, I just recently excavated the exterior of my home to install a drainage mat and damproofing membrane. When the hole was excavated, I hired a drain company to scope the weeping tile. During the excavation, I found a clay pipe that attached to the weeping tile that went into the house...
  13. Gramps

electric water heater: no drain valve??

I need to replace my 25 year old Rheeem electric water heater. naturally i would have to drain it first, but there is an odd situation that is preventing me. as you can see from the photo, there is no tap for draining it. At the top of the unit are 3 plastic covers. maybe there is pressure...
  14. Gramps

flies on the wall!

I have noticed in the last few months, I would find one fly every two weeks or so in the bathroom. It's they type of fly you find in the plumbing, the dirty type. There is a new toilet and sink, installed a couple of years ago, but the shower has been in there for maybe a decade or two...
  15. Gramps

re: bathroom sink leak on new installation -picture included-

Hello there, I am have a leak on a new bathroom sink I have just installed at my relatives' place. It occurs just below the slip/jamb nut, but above the pivot rod assembly. In the picture, the threads appear white (because there is teflon tape on them. I forgot to teflon tape the entire...
  16. Gramps

Does Home Depot "cheapen" their toilets?

hello, I am talking about the process to take a perfectly working design of a particular brand, such as say, a coffee maker made by black and decker, and strip it down the parts so it is not over designed at all. You get plastic where you should get metal and so on. This is how WalMart offers...
  17. Gramps

faucet supply question

Hello, I bought a vanity w/sink and faucet on craigslist. all in mint condition, kohler faucet. But I am stuck. I have my hot and cold braided shutoff, and on the sink (as you can see from the picture) I have the existing copper supply pipes still attached. Am I suppose to remove the...
  18. Gramps

Flange slightly lower than finished floor

Hello, I have a question about my flange that is sitting 1/8" below my finished floor. I have extension rings that can increase the height to above the finished floor I want to know if I am better off using 2 wax rings, or using these plastic extension pieces
  19. Gramps

Where can you buy a marble shower threshold??

Where can you buy a marble shower threshold? I have googled and checked out my local big box store. I am stumped. and how much do they cost?
  20. Gramps

an old flange, and an old trap

Hello, I have an old flange,and an old trap, and a couple of questions about them I plan on installing a new floor and refinishing my walls. (in a basement) My flange is attached to the trap (in one piece), as you can see from the picture. It seems to been in good shape, except for one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks