Search results

1. TheZster

Bosch 715 ES... Flow rate requirements? Fixable?

I've got a Bosch gwh 715 ES... 8 years old - in a property I'm renovating. According to specs.... she should fire up when flow rate hits >.5gpm. Not happening!! I open up a fixture with a flow rate of 1gpm (confirmed)... nothing.... I open up an additional fixture of "probably...
  2. TheZster

Uncharted territory - clay to PVC

Thought I had seen it all... till I bought this 100 year old house to renovate. Somewhere in the past - the owners stuck 3inch PVC into the 6 inch clay lateral line - covered it up with dirt - and called it "good".... Jeesh!! Clay is new to me.... Lateral line looks good from where...
  3. TheZster

Cast to PVC to Cast to PVC

Back again.... 100 year old house - adding a new bathroom in the old attic... the DWV layout is good.... Question is: I had to remove the old cast iron soil stack from the basement (busted out concrete) and "Fernco'd" PVC to the existing Cast iron lateral line to the first floor. As...
  4. TheZster

New attic drain into existing

I have a 4" stack with a bathroom on the first floor draining into it. I want to add a bathroom in what used to be the attic - directly above the existing first floor bathroom. Can I tie in a new 3" line from the new bathroom into the existing stack "above" the first floor toilet without a...
  5. TheZster

lavatory drain question

New pedestal sink... has 1 1/4 tailpiece. Out of wall is 1 1/2 PVC to drain. What size should the P-trap be to meet code requirements.
  6. TheZster

Disposal/sink connection

Just finished hooking up a new double sink with disposal on one side... I used the traditional (I call it traditional) "T" fitting between the two drain outlets that drops down to the P-trap. My plumber tells me this is no longer allowed by code and that I need the disposal to drop directly...
  7. TheZster

New splice fitting

Oops.. new "splice fitting".. not spice.... Need to cut into the main stack and install a "Y"... I don't have any "slack" to move the stack up or down. I don't want to install a Fernco... Yet can't find a coupling (is "no hub" the proper term?) - that will slide up the existing pipe while I...
  8. TheZster

Client wants "custom"

My client found a pedestal sink from Kohler that looks like some sort of giant manta ray with a basin sink on top.... Unfortunately, it's a bit to large for her bathroom project.... too long, too wide.... so, now she wants me to check out a custom made granite piece, about 32 inches long -...
  9. TheZster

My plumbing books are in the hands of SBTX

Bit _ _ won't give me access to my plumbing books during the divorce process - and I'm in the middle of a new bathroom project in a fix n flip..... I'm half-decent at plumbing stuff - but once in a while - make a slight code error. rather than fix it later - I'd just as soon start it out...
  10. TheZster

toilet spacing

I'm aware that I'm required to have 15" clearance from the centerline of the toilet between other fixtures - lavatories/bathtubs/etc. But - how about from a door? I'm cramped for space on a remodel - and can put the toilet centerline 15" from the tub - but the door to the bathroom won't...
  11. TheZster

discontinued Cabinet doors

Long long ago I recall a discussion here, but can't find the thread, about a web site that offered old style doors such as discontinued stuff. Anyone have a clue? I've googled my butt off and can't come up with it. I'm adding two new cabinets to an existing kitchen and the manufacturer...
  12. TheZster

Decisions, decisions..

In the middle of a new project in an old house. I'm relocating a toilet and adding a bath/vanity. I've got a 4inch cast drain that I'm tapping into. I currently plan to cut the current drain with a snap cutter, right behind the existing female flange and tie in PVC with a Fernco. On the other...
  13. TheZster

Another great inspection

Thanks to all for the input about my cleanout. I passed today's inspection with flying colors - kindasorta.... I'm truly convinced that, if your work is clean/organized/and shows a basic knowledge of plumbing - the inspectors will "bypass" some items. I had a sanitary 90 T heading to my main...
  14. TheZster

Cleanout orientation

I'm back with another project - adding a new bathroom to an upstairs bedroom in my latest "fixer upper". The plumbing looks great and presents no issues so far - except (always an except).... My new drain (3inch) hooks into the existing vertical main stack at a 45 degree angle. Anticipating...
  15. TheZster

Many Many Thanks To All Of You

The basement remodel continues....... Just passed my rough in plumbing/electrical/framing inspection with flying colors (He even said "it looks really good"). Thanks to everyone (especially the prolific "plumguy")who offered advice, suggestions, and code interpretations....... Now it's...
  16. TheZster

Framing question - potential sagging soffit

Trying to save ceiling height in my basement remodel - wife says: (can't you get it higher?)...... So... below is my soffit drawing. I've got monster HVAC ductwork to get around. Built the soffit essentially with 2X2's but the more I look at it - the more I worry about the ceiling sagging...
  17. TheZster

tub to switch length...

Just when I thought I was out of questions.... another one pops it's ugly head. I'm under the impression that electrical switches (lights/fans/etc.) are required to be at least 60 inches from a tub/shower. That's would force me to put my light switches behind the door of my new...
  18. TheZster

Vent pipe length

Okay... hopefully this is the last query for "this" remodel.... I'm running all my two inch vents into a common two inch vent pipe (4 separate ones - sink/sink/tub/toilet) and intend to connect into an existing vent on the other side of the basement rather than try to run a new pipe to the...
  19. TheZster

Floating wood floors?

Coming along nicely on my basement remodel.... and have a question about floating wood laminates. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of putting down a floor that is not "connected" to anything solid. However I see lots of advertisements for "floating wood laminates". They seem to be all the rage...
  20. TheZster

Misaligned P-trap for tub

Don't ask how.... just suffice it to say my P-trap ended up "less than vertical" during my current basement remodel. Now my new tub drain doesn't line up with the trap compression inlet. Redoing the trap doesn't seem to be an option due to the lack of available pvc between all the joints. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks