Search results

1. SeattlePlumber

Foam block under water heater?

If it has feet, you don't need a pad... The whole point of the pad is to eliminate heat loss due to direct contact with the concrete floor. If the tank has feet that are more than just dimples in the sheet metal, a pad isn't necessary. Therefore, you wouldn't need to place a water heater...
  2. SeattlePlumber

Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

Installed one the other day... Customer purchased their own GB toilet at HD, then hired a plumber (me) to install it. He's obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. Anyway, here was my impression: It worked better than I expected, but I was expecting it to not work at all. Still had to...
  3. SeattlePlumber

Special Faucet needed 4 Whirlpool Tub???

Never seen one... But then again, I've never seen an honest politician either. Doesn't mean they don't exist though. There might be a designer faucet out there that is single hole tub filler. But honestly, I'd rather try to find a way to make more holes than to buy an obscure (read...
  4. SeattlePlumber

Shower head addition

Two 1/2" valves is sufficient Just use two 1/2" pb valves and you'll have maximum pressure with individual temp. control. 3/4" pb valves are only for a single temp control with multiple outlets. Therefore, in your situation, two 3/4 valves would be overkill.
  5. SeattlePlumber

old fashioned galvanized tub drain cleanout

Plumber's putty sounds time-consuming and expensive ...without any real gain in quality. If a toilet is properly bolted and shimmed, wax will last for decades.
  6. SeattlePlumber

Shower Valve Stumped Me

Replace the valve... Sterling has an odd and poorly designed stem. It's a plastic/brass hybrid with a delta-like seal. Not surprising since it's made by Kohler (a company whom IMHO can't make a decent valve to save their life). Do yourself a favor... bite the bullet and replace the valve. It...
  7. SeattlePlumber

Odor in basement bathroom

Things to check... If the water in the toilet moves when your clothes washer is draining, then the toilet either has a blocked vent or isn't vented properly to begin with. The drainage water from the clothes washer is creating a 'pull' or negative pressure in the drain that may be siphoning...
  8. SeattlePlumber

3-Handle Delta Tub Faucet Drips

Have more patience A shower valve takes a couple minutes to empty the residual water from the shower riser, spout, etc. Go back to it after 15 minutes and see if it still drips.
  9. SeattlePlumber

GPM at the kitchen sink

Pull-out spout style faucet? Do you have a pull-out spout style kitchen faucet? If so, the culprit is the inline backflow preventer usually located at the connection point of the handheld sprayer. If you want it out, you can usually pull them out with a needlenose pliers.
  10. SeattlePlumber

Water hammer arrestors and code

Water hammer arrestors.... In the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) they are required on all automatic valves. In the typical house this usually means water lines supplying dishwashers, clothes washers and ice makers. That being said, don't bother. They are basically useless. Even the expensive...
  11. SeattlePlumber

toilet sprayed water during sewer cleaning

Definitely not normal... May want to call the city and complain. Imagine if you had been sitting on it when it sprayed out. Yuck!
  12. SeattlePlumber

Does hand soap corrode?

Saw a six month old faucet today that was heavily corroding at the base. There was a fairly thick layer of "Soft Hands" hand soap at the base of the faucet. It was a Moen mini-widespread on a china pedestal lav. I read the ingredients on the soap and it contained sodium chloride. I figured that...
  13. SeattlePlumber

Tying into cast iron pipe

Use an AAV (studor vent). They are a remodeler's friend :)
  14. SeattlePlumber

Pipes making strange noise 24 hours a day

Yes, I agree that it's probably thermal expansion with a PRV that has a by-pass. The surge you are hearing is the by-pass on the PRV.
  15. SeattlePlumber

Made an amatuer mistake with shower valve installation

Call American Standard and see if they make a cartridge that reverses the hot/cold. Several manufacturers do. If it turns out that they don't, you could maybe switch the lines somewhere where it is more convenient, like in the crawl space or the ceiling below. Ultimately, they were the ones...
  16. SeattlePlumber

Water Heater taking 5 minutes to heat up

My guess is that your pump isn't working anymore. The dip tube is fine if the water stays hot once it gets hot.
  17. SeattlePlumber

Basement shower

Nothing to worry about until... There is nothing to worry about until there is a problem, which is unlikely. It is far too much work to tear it all up just to firm up the base.
  18. SeattlePlumber

Bathroom addition

Studor vents If they are code in your area, you could use studor vents. A studor vent is device that allows air into the line when there is a vacuum (like from water falling down a pipe). Otherwise, it remains closed so that sewer gas cannot get through. They are allowed by code in some places...
  19. SeattlePlumber

Fluid Master 400a Loud

Use the Pro 45-B Fluidmaster makes a fill valve with a brass shank called the 'Pro 45-B' that is almost identical to the 400A. It is much more quiet.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks