Search results

1. svcalypso

DIY Again

I agree - when we put an extension over our garage for a home office we used a crew for the framing work and did the rest ourselves (or subbed it out - electrical and sheetrock). I did all the insulation myself. When the inspector came round he said "you did this yourself, didn't you ?" We...
  2. svcalypso

Insulating Basement Walls

Interesting thread - We don't have a largish basement here in New England - there is more room there than we need, basically a big Ell 40' x 40' on the long sides with a 15' x 15' chunk missing. We used to get basement floods in the spring when the grounds was still frozen and the spring rains...
  3. svcalypso

Distance of toilet tank from the wall

If the plumber roughed you in at 13" was this different to the specs that he was provided with? One of the benefots of hiring a pro is that they are licensed and are supposed to be up to speed on regulations, code etc. Now if you told him to rough at 13" that's another matter.
  4. svcalypso

Plumbers cost to replace hosebib

I came from the UK (10 years ago) and I could always drink from the faucet over there - not what I would call a third world country. Over here where I am on a well (and thus no risk of contaminating a public water supply because last time I checked my pump will not pump from the house to the...
  5. svcalypso

Stubs for pex fixtures

I have type L copper in my home and get pinhole leaks that require me to rip out drywall and replace copper once a year or so, needless to say it's a PITA. So I am replacing with pex. I have the manifold installed and connected up on 1" copper through a whole house filter - now when I run my...
  6. svcalypso

Which Pex Fittings?

going back to Marks 9/28 post Mark says : this is exactly what pexsupply recommended to me and then supplied to me, a Manabloc manifold and Wirsbo pipe and fittings Why are we saying Wirsbo cannot be used in a Manifold system ?
  7. svcalypso

Leaks from 1"NPT male metal to female plastic.

No, they don't - my current single stage one does but it's plastic and tough to turn so I plumbed a copper bypass around that anyway years back. The bypass is also there in case - just in case - I have further issues with the unit. I can always splice a piece of copper in a jiffy but something...
  8. svcalypso

As part of my replumbing project

I will need to replace the pressure tank - it is25+ years old and because of 2 basement floods has a lot of surface rust, especially around the base etc, I can just tell it's time to replace it. The well pump was replaced within the last 2 years and at that same time the 't' was replaced as was...
  9. svcalypso

something is leaking in my bathroom

I would dry the floor totally and then monitor it every half an hour making careful note of what is occurring between those times. This should get you to 'something' that is contributing to the wetness. whereabouts are you ? Could you have ice dams at this time of year that are dripping down...
  10. svcalypso

hj - do you recommend something different ? should I be making a male plastic thread with a male to male adapter and then transitioning to copper from that with a female to sweat copper fitting ? Also I have read that compression sleeves (olives) are for one time use only and they will deform...
  11. svcalypso

Thanks, yes, I contacted them last night, waiting to hear back. Based on some other posts I saw I am thinking re-do with thread and paste (suitable for plastic). I'll see what they say. As I loked at it though I realize though that I have 'hard wired' it in with sweat connectors and I am...
  12. svcalypso

Background : Our house is plumbed with type M (thin wall) copper pipe and I am getting pinhole leaks - 1, maybe 2 year - enough to have me ripping it our and replacing it with Pex. The Pex manifold and home run pex tubing part is great, no issues there, but as I went down this route we decided...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks