Search results

1. theplumber

Loss in Shower Water Pressure

I doubt it's a pressure issue. Those big huge rain shower heads need a high volume of water in order for them to function as expected. Is your plumbing all copper? Also, the cartridge has screens that can get clogged with debris very easily, especially when you have a water heater spitting...
  2. theplumber

Washing machine makes toilet overflow with suds - ?

2 possibilities. 1 - your sewer is mildly restricted somewhere due to roots or use. 2 - it was plumbed poorly and you can't fix it w/out redoing the drainlines affecting you.
  3. theplumber

Soap dispenser pump

That's a pricey soap dispenser. I doubt few plumbers know if the cartridges are interchangable or not. Few things in plumbing are interchangable between brands. But most soap dispensers work the same. Try buying a new one and setting the cartridge into your old mount and see what happens...
  4. theplumber

Toto repair and fill valve questions.

There's nothing too fancy about any of these ballcocks. They all follow time proven mechanisms. Fluidmaster ballcocks would work just as well. They have a pro line that is supposed to have a model that is quieter due to a brass shank on the bottom.
  5. theplumber

Toto drake refilling problem

Sediment could also get stuck back in the anglestop or between the flex connection into the ballcock. You can disconnect and try running the flex connector into a bucket to make sure your problem isn't in the wall. Don't forget to shut off the anglestop before you disconnect the supply line. :)
  6. theplumber

Kohler AMFAG Sprayer - Cartridge ??

Call Kohler, they can help you figure it out. Otherwise, a plumbers suggestion is to throw the faucet in the trash and get a faucet made by a company with half a brain. You can also go to their website and search for the faucet on their website. If you can get to this forum you can use their...
  7. theplumber

Blockage at Septic Tank

Also, 30 years ago toilets and waste systems were designed to use more water to efficiently move the waste out of the house. Now w/ 1.6 gpf toilets, the water doesn't take the paper all the way out of the house and allows for the next load with lots of paper to add to the remainder of the prior...
  8. theplumber

Reason for weak flush w/ solids only?

I heard from one old timer that he puts in Muriatic acid (found in pool cleaning supply section of your hardware store) into the toilet and lets it sit over night. Flush it the next day and it's as good as new. I've never done that and "wouldn't suggest it". If you did try that, you would...
  9. theplumber

1.6 gallon flush to become illegal?

I wouldn't worry too much. You will always be able to find a toilet w/ a very high tank that has a fill tube that is extremely short. All one has to do is replace the flush valve upon purchase and put in one that has a very tall fill tube. You can double the volume of some toilets very easily...
  10. theplumber

"Idiot-proof" toilets

If the problem is user related and not anything to do w/ the plumbing itself - the only option to guarantee no overflow is a lowboy toilet. One where the fill line on the tank is level with just below the rim of the bowl. That way if the bowl is full, a second flush won't do anything because...
  11. theplumber

Help! Toto flapper replacement

If you can, pick up the blue flapper they sell for this toilet. It's the same size as that red flapper but comes w/out the extra side hole allowing the entire tank to empty. Usefull if you need a bigger flush.
  12. theplumber

ADA really needed..?

If you are a tall person handi-capped height makes a difference, if you are short it's not a big deal.
  13. theplumber

Toilet Tank Water Won't hold

Also check the handle and makes sure it's not holding up the flapper just above the sealing point. Another thing to check is the chain itself and how it rests. If you have too much slack, it can get under the flapper and keep it from sealing. You want just a little bit of slack when in the...
  14. theplumber

Hot Water Heater Life Span

With new water heaters these days I would avoid changing it unless it's neccessary. If you have a heater with a brass hose bib at the bottom draining them tends to be fairly easy. If it's a plastic hose bib there's a chance it won't stop leaking afterwards. You haven't touched it in 11 years...
  15. theplumber

Trouble with copper fittings

With fittings getting stamped out in China these days it's not uncommon to come across fittings that you can't fit into. Also if the fitting is slightly crushed it can be impossible to get it in without a tool to fix the fitting's shape. This is not a commonly found tool anymore. Most...
  16. theplumber

Kohler Lav Faucet

The only special aerator design I can think of is the one found on Sloan or commercial faucets where u need the key with two teeth opposite of each other that fits inside the outer sleave to twist it out. Past that I haven't met many aerators in a cast brass body that my channel-locks couldn't...
  17. theplumber

Water draining bad, backup in basement... (Pictures included)

lol. I'm sorry but it never stops being funny when I hear people say that they don't know what the water is that's coming out of the floor when they run showers and flush the toilet. Reminds me of when the sewer backed up on this popular bar at midnight and the bartenders were standing in 2...
  18. theplumber

Need help installing Toto using extra thick wax ring

Different areas will all have different brands available. The numbering is fairly standard between brands, they are usually made by the same place just packaged differently for the different distributors. A #1 and #5 are the most common. You should see a noticable difference in amount of wax...
  19. theplumber

Sealing Cinder block to PVC

Not sure if this part is getting confused but it seems like it. When the others here are saying sleeving, they aren't talking about sleeving the inside of your old sewerline. The line itself is supposed to have a can or a sleeve on the outside of the sewerline for it to pass through when going...
  20. theplumber

Water heaters....tank or on-demand?

One thing about using a heater that does both radiant heat and heating water is when it goes out on you. If you have cold winters and it fails, you have no hot water or heat. It's ok if you use it to supplement another system or keep another as a backup, but I wouldn't use it exclusively...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks