Search results

1. Blumengarten

Bleeding radiators

Hi all, My tenant let the baseboard radiators in the garage freeze. My husband soldered on a new section of fin, but air got into the system. I've been bleeding the radiators but there is only one bleeder valve in the living area (yeah, real bad design!). There are three in the basement, and...
  2. Blumengarten

most efficient way to run the furnace

Hi fellas, Now that winter is almost over and the question is nearly moot, I hope you could answer a disagreement! We have hot-water radiators, and my husband turns the thermostat WAY down (like 55!) to save energy. I maintain it's more efficient to keep the temperature constant ... I've...
  3. Blumengarten

The toilet is growling!

The rest of my family thinks I'm crazy, but the toilet is growling when I flush! It sounds like a dolly with metal wheels rolling over rough asphalt. I don't hear it every time, it seems only after the toilet hasn't been used for several hours (it doesn't happen if I flush twice in a row)...
  4. Blumengarten

can't get air out of hot-water radiator system

my tenant left the garage door open in zero-degree weather, and one of the radiator pipes in the basement busted (because he hadn't turned on the thermostat to the basement because he was too cheap and didn't want to heat it!!). So air got into the system. I got the pipe repaired and hot water...
  5. Blumengarten

Brick walkway with retaining wall

Hi guys,
  6. Blumengarten

baseboard water-filled radiator

Hi Guys, If you're installing baseboard radiators in a boiler system, do you have to solder the pipes, or may you use compression fittings? Thanks, Blumengarten
  7. Blumengarten

How to wire a new thermostat

When I turned my furnace (we have radiators) on for the winter, the furnace wouldn't turn off .. it was over 90° in here! I asked a handy friend what he thought it would be, he said first to replace the thermostat, if it's not that it's probably a thermocouple, but try the thermostat first. So...
  8. Blumengarten

how to repair grout in shower

Hi All, I just bought a house that was built in the 1950's. A friend who is an architect (and therefore thinks he knows everything) says I need to completely gut the bathroom. He said the tile in the bathroom was placed on drywall, not concrete backer board. He said there has been leakage...
  9. Blumengarten

Roof leaks at chimney flashing

Hi Folks, I had a new asphalt roof put on my house two years ago. Almost immediately, I noticed that it was leaking around the chimney (it had leaked there before the new roof was put on) so I called the roofer and he put a couple tubes of up around there. I thought it was fixed and didn't...
  10. Blumengarten

How to Bleach Wood

Hi Folks, When my cat got old, it got diabetes and peed all over the wooden floors, sometimes in places where I couldn't find until it had already soaked through the finish (like behind the piano, behind the sideboard, behind the couch, etc., yuck!). I got some stuff that removed the odor...
  11. Blumengarten

How to repair this wall

Hi All, We had to have our drain lines from the tub and sink replaced because they leaked where they joined into the toilet, and the tub drum trap was also leaking. To replace the sink drain, this is what the plumber did: When my boyfriend saw it, the first thing he said was, why did he...
  12. Blumengarten

How to get a refrigerator in the kitchen

Hi folks, My 25-year-old refrigerator died. The previous owners of this house remodeled the kitchen about 10 years ago, replacing a wall with an open counter, leaving only 28" entry between the end of the counter and the wall. I've not been able to find a refrigerator with such a small...
  13. Blumengarten

How to / should I insulate an old house?

Hi folks, My brick house was built in 1928. I had to remove a wall due to a plumbing leak, and I was surprised how much open space there is in the house! (No wonder there is a problem with pests). The wall that I removed had a plasterboard on the inside, then there were 2x4 studs that...
  14. Blumengarten

sound-deadening qualities of insulation

Hi Folks, I had to have the cast-iron drain lines in my bathroom replaced, and the plumber used the black plastic pipes. It's much noisier than the cast-iron! I'm going to replace the drywall, will putting regular fiberglass insulation help to deaden the sound? Thanks, Joy
  15. Blumengarten

New to Power Tools

Hi All! I'm just learning how to do all this handyman stuff, so forgive me for asking stupid questions. Yesterday, I bought a Black & Decker circular saw off Craig's List for $10. The seller plugged it in, and it sounded like a circular saw to me, so I bought it. Today when I used it, the...
  16. Blumengarten

Why does light bulb blow?

Why would a bulbs in a light fixture suddenly start blowing when you turn it on? I suppose that means there's a short in the system, but why would one develop suddenly? We've been using this light fixture for many, many years, and never had problems with the bulbs blowing out, but in the last...
  17. Blumengarten

Why won't garbage disposal reset?

The garbage disposal got over-filled and stopped. I cleared everything out of it, pressed the reset button, and turned it on. I could hear the engine whirring, but not engaging. I checked to make sure there was nothing left inside, I couldn't feel anything, I unplugged it, pressed the reset...
  18. Blumengarten

Expanding foam around pipes

Hi Everyone, We've had a horrible problem with stink bugs this year, they only prevention I've heard is to try to seal up every tiny crack in your house that they may be getting in through. The bathroom is over the garage, and there's a large hole in the garage ceiling drywall where the...
  19. Blumengarten

1993 Kohler Wellworth, Why does the toilet back up?

Hi guys, My mum's toilet backs up and overflows quite frequently. :mad: I'd thought for a long time it was her aide disposing of sanitary products there, but the aide left and it's been me taking care of mum so I know that nothing is going into the toilet that isn't supposed to be there. My...
  20. Blumengarten

Newbie Question: which kind of connection would you recommend

Hi Folks, I'm a new homeowner on a DIY budget, I'm a girl and don't know much about plumbing but want to learn! A pipe to my 2nd floor bathroom sprung a leak right over the dining room. I shut off the water and replaced the shut-off valves because they didn't completely do the trick, I used...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks