Search results

1. BurleyMike

Water heaterTP valve piping, what to do??

Hopefully this spring I will finally be finishing the basement. I did a radon test and will need a mitigation system. Currently the water heater TP valve plumbing goes into the sump pump basin. Since it will have to be sealed for the radon system what are my options. Is it possible to have...
  2. BurleyMike

Which Zoeller sump pump to buy?

Is the switch on the Zoeller Bn-53 better than the switch on the M-53? Can the switch on the Bn-53 be adjusted to allow the sump to fill say 16" deep before the pump kicks on? I cannot seem to find much on the web about this stuff. Anything good bad or ugly about the pedestal pump?
  3. BurleyMike

Zoeller pedestal sump pump

Which Zoeller pump to buy? Is the switch on the Zoeller Bn-53 better than the switch on the M-53? Can the switch on the Bn-53 be adjusted to allow the sump to fill say 16" deep before the pump kicks on? I cannot seem to find much on the web about this stuff.
  4. BurleyMike

Hydrogen sulfide from hot water only

My parents have a small laundry room in their garage. They have a 20 gallon water heater that supplies the washing machine and a utility sink. The water heater gets very little use probably 5 gallons a week or less. After using this setup for about 1 year now the hot water side is starting...
  5. BurleyMike

Sewer gas from stack, stinking out back yard

We have been having an ongoing problem with sewer gas outside the house. Those cold winter days you can even see steam blowing out the roof vents. When the wind blows from the south the way the roof is the stink blows right down to the patio. Is there a check valve that can be installed on...
  6. BurleyMike

What is wrong with this setup?

Here are a couple pictures of the sewer lines in my dad's crawlspace. We are having a debate about venting. The shower drains into the line coming from the washing machine stand pipe. There is a vent on the roof above the laundry room which also has a shower in it. From my understanding you...
  7. BurleyMike

Want to add more attic insulation

My house has 5.5" of 52 year old rockwool and about 6" of fiberglass on top of that. In many places the fiberglass is quite compacted from people working up there. I would like to add more to bring it up to R-50. I have thought about getting one of those vacuum trucks that does duct...
  8. BurleyMike

Best way to connect PVC to Galvanized?

This is for the suction line on my sprinkler pump. I have a sandpoint well that has a 1-1/2" galvanized tee on the end of the casing. Currently I have a 1-1/2" galvanized nipple coming from the tee to a PVC union then another galvanized nipple to the pump. I cannot seem to make the connection...
  9. BurleyMike

Smoke alarms: what brand should I buy?

I have needed to install smoke alarms for a while now and I figure it is better to spend the time in the attic running the wire while it is still cool up there. Now I am trying to decide on what brand and model to buy. I have been looking at the Gentex 120v and Kiddie 120v, tandem operation...
  10. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I have a Fleck 5600 SE water softener that I have a few questions about. When I put it in a few years ago our water came from a different well on the city system. Since we got moved to a new well out water went from 20 grains to 15. Our softener is a 48000 grain capacity unit. We use about...
  11. BurleyMike

What is wrong with this bathroom

Anybody know what the problem is here? It amazes me what happens in brand new construction.
  12. BurleyMike

Sizing a beam

I started cleaning out the garage and got to thinking about the ceiling. The problem is the ceiling joists are 21' long 24" OC 2x4s. The big problem is the one of the previous owners put 1/2" sheetrock up there and then 10" of blow in fiberglass on top. As you can imagine the whole...
  13. BurleyMike

Thermosiphon

A couple years ago I put in a master bathroom. I embedded some pex in the mortar bed on the floor for future heat. It is cold here, darn cold and my wife is tired of the cold bathroom floor. The basement is insulated fairly well but until I finish it it is not heated so it is cool. I am...
  14. BurleyMike

Pex and Sunlight

Today we decided to head to town and do some shopping. I remembered I needed piece of 6" duct pipe. The only place open on a Saturday is a big orange box store. The duct work aisle is also the plumbing aisle. I was shocked to see 20' straight lengths of pex in a rack right under a...
  15. BurleyMike

Digging crawlspace deeper

I have half a basement and half crawlspace. Many of the houses around here have basements that were once crawlspaces and they dug them out. Since things are not going well these days I have more time than money. I have been toying with the idea of digging some of that crawlspace out to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks