Search results

1. BurleyMike

Water heaterTP valve piping, what to do??

Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to insulate the walls with foam so I have to sheetrock them to meet fire code. Any amount of water could be very damaging so a K.I.S.S. solution is preferable. I really like the idea of using a 125PSI valve on the cold side though it would not prevent a...
  2. BurleyMike

Water heaterTP valve piping, what to do??

Hopefully this spring I will finally be finishing the basement. I did a radon test and will need a mitigation system. Currently the water heater TP valve plumbing goes into the sump pump basin. Since it will have to be sealed for the radon system what are my options. Is it possible to have...
  3. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I thought I had replied to your last post but something went wrong. Maybe I forgot to actually post it, oops. Actually the water never seems perfect. After it regenerates the spotting in the dishwasher is less but it is still there. You can really see the little white spots on teflon pans...
  4. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I was going to go with the settings you recommended but wanted to first give all the info about my setup to be sure it would not change anything. Thanks for your expertise.
  5. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

It is 44" tall and it is a 40,000 grain.
  6. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I am back, Gary's settings did help with the spotting but did not eliminate it completely. I have been working on the basement and spending some time around the softener I got to thinking about it again. I realized that it goes through a bag of salt in two regenerations which seems like a lot...
  7. BurleyMike

Which Zoeller sump pump to buy?

Is the switch on the Zoeller Bn-53 better than the switch on the M-53? Can the switch on the Bn-53 be adjusted to allow the sump to fill say 16" deep before the pump kicks on? I cannot seem to find much on the web about this stuff. Anything good bad or ugly about the pedestal pump?
  8. BurleyMike

Zoeller pedestal sump pump

Which Zoeller pump to buy? Is the switch on the Zoeller Bn-53 better than the switch on the M-53? Can the switch on the Bn-53 be adjusted to allow the sump to fill say 16" deep before the pump kicks on? I cannot seem to find much on the web about this stuff.
  9. BurleyMike

Hydrogen sulfide from hot water only

My parents have a small laundry room in their garage. They have a 20 gallon water heater that supplies the washing machine and a utility sink. The water heater gets very little use probably 5 gallons a week or less. After using this setup for about 1 year now the hot water side is starting...
  10. BurleyMike

Sewer gas from stack, stinking out back yard

We have been having an ongoing problem with sewer gas outside the house. Those cold winter days you can even see steam blowing out the roof vents. When the wind blows from the south the way the roof is the stink blows right down to the patio. Is there a check valve that can be installed on...
  11. BurleyMike

What is wrong with this setup?

My dad recently moved the laundry room to the addition. He always thought the nasty smell in the old laundry room was the washing machine door seal. It smelled more like sewer gas to me. Now that the washing machine is out of there the smell is gone. He plans to turn the old laundry room...
  12. BurleyMike

What is wrong with this setup?

Here are a couple pictures of the sewer lines in my dad's crawlspace. We are having a debate about venting. The shower drains into the line coming from the washing machine stand pipe. There is a vent on the roof above the laundry room which also has a shower in it. From my understanding you...
  13. BurleyMike

Want to add more attic insulation

Thank you very much for all the detailed information that is just what I was wanting to know. I have been slowly gutting one room at a time and re finishing over the last 4 years. 80% of the exterior walls are not insulated with r-13 and a sealed polyethylene vapor/air barrier installed. As I...
  14. BurleyMike

Want to add more attic insulation

My house has 5.5" of 52 year old rockwool and about 6" of fiberglass on top of that. In many places the fiberglass is quite compacted from people working up there. I would like to add more to bring it up to R-50. I have thought about getting one of those vacuum trucks that does duct...
  15. BurleyMike

Best way to connect PVC to Galvanized?

I was thinking about something flexible like PE, the slip fittings won't allow any air to get sucked in? That was my only concern. I would much rather go with the PE it would sure simpilify things a whole lot. I am planning to install a bigger pump and add two more sand points. Using PE will...
  16. BurleyMike

Best way to connect PVC to Galvanized?

This is for the suction line on my sprinkler pump. I have a sandpoint well that has a 1-1/2" galvanized tee on the end of the casing. Currently I have a 1-1/2" galvanized nipple coming from the tee to a PVC union then another galvanized nipple to the pump. I cannot seem to make the connection...
  17. BurleyMike

Smoke alarms: what brand should I buy?

I have needed to install smoke alarms for a while now and I figure it is better to spend the time in the attic running the wire while it is still cool up there. Now I am trying to decide on what brand and model to buy. I have been looking at the Gentex 120v and Kiddie 120v, tandem operation...
  18. BurleyMike

Are open drains a risk of infections?

I have had respiratory and sinus infections all my life mostly during the winter months. This year it started in August and I got a sinus infection that would not go away. My family doc sent me to the ENT who did allergy tests and it turns out that I am very allergic to cats and slightly...
  19. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I just made the changes you suggested. While doing this I noticed a tag near where the drainline connects that says "injector - 1" and "drain flow 2.4gpm" I thought I would post this in case it matters for your calculations. The water level is about 6" total 3" above the grid. I apologize if...
  20. BurleyMike

Fleck 5600SE settings

I have a Fleck 5600 SE water softener that I have a few questions about. When I put it in a few years ago our water came from a different well on the city system. Since we got moved to a new well out water went from 20 grains to 15. Our softener is a 48000 grain capacity unit. We use about...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks