Search results

1. citm2000

bathroom fan

I didn't know there was ductwork. All of mine just vent into the space, except for the one on the first floor which goes out through the outside wall. My experience with the corrugated stuff is that, not only does it slow air-flow giving it time to cool, but also allows small puddles to form...
  2. citm2000

bathroom fan

If you have an air handler in the attic, check to make sure the condensate lines are not clogged. Beyond that, check for any other sources of moisture -- a roof leak, a clogged dryer vent, a leaking pipe, etc. If it only happens after a shower/bath, it could just be that the cold attic is...
  3. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

Update -- well it didn't go well. It appears that the installer used plumbers putty (the old kind that hardens) not only to seal the flange, but also as pipe threading compound. On one side I used a mini hack-saw blade to cut all the way to the threads on the section down in the drain pipe...
  4. citm2000

Rotted studs

If you live where there are termites, you should remove the rotted wood. Most termite bonds won't cover any infestation that happens as a result of water damage.
  5. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

This thing continues to surprise and frustrate me. I did exactly as recommended, and cut out a few chunks, and, sure enough, the entire lip/flange broke free. I put my drain key in there and expected to be able to just back it out, but it would only turn through one or two degrees of arc...
  6. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

Thanks for clearing that up. It's slow going so far, but I'm making some progress. I'm beginning to wonder if some kind of epoxy was used instead of plumber's putty.
  7. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

I understand cutting the slot just fine -- I'm not sure about folding the drain towards the center. I don't care about damage to the surface of the tub -- it's going to be replaced in a few years. I just need it to hold water and not leak. I have cut the slot, but the screwdriver is...
  8. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

OK - it isn't actually made of plastic -- just some dull grey soft metal. I don't think it's old enough to be lead (house built in 1988). It has some flaky shiny veneer which is peeling off (the reason for replacing it in the first place. I cut a couple of notches and tried to hammer on it...
  9. citm2000

Bath Tub Drain Removal

The dumbell tool was the first thing I tried -- the crossmember broke immediately. I bought an expensive tool called the drainkey, which expands upon turning in the direction that should loosen the drain, but it just turns freely, no matter how tight I try to make it. I attempted to cut a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks